Photo by Melody

Article: What Style of Gardener Are You?: I thought this article was very negative

Communities > Forums > Article: What Style of Gardener Are You?
bookmark
Forum: Article: What Style of Gardener Are You?Replies: 45, Views: 716
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2007
2:38 PM

Post #3836035

Every description starts with a very negative phrase..I expected it to be fun and informative...but was very disappointed. Personally, I find every gardener to be interesting and have wonderful ideas, so I don't understand any of these descriptions!
fdetroch
Merelbeke
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2007
3:25 PM

Post #3836254

I completely agree with JanetS.
According to these descriptions one could wonder if there are any positively "styled" gardeners!
Also very disappointed about this kind of article.
bolino
Swanton, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2007
3:56 PM

Post #3836374

I think it was meant to be tongue in cheek. If you noticed, all the types of gardeners are bad!
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2007
3:57 PM

Post #3836378

hmm...I still don't think I care for it...lol but to each his own...

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2007
5:01 PM

Post #3836612

Fun article.
Graet sense of humor.
Good Job

Paul
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2007
5:04 PM

Post #3836626

My hubby and I read this over lunch - thanks for the fun :)

MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2007
5:06 PM

Post #3836635

I loved it here, a wonderful article and full of fun. I found myself in each of the types of gardeners and my family got a kick out of saying "oh yea you do that" just great love it - very funny.
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2007
5:07 PM

Post #3836636

Glad it didn't turn everyone off like it did me...lol I guess I was just "expecting" something totally different, and since it was so different, I didn't get the humor at all.
wolflrv
Savannah, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2007
6:00 PM

Post #3836777

yeah...I didn't care for it either...but as a fairly new gardener...I certainly got some good hints as to what kind of gardener NOT to be...LOL!
peony01
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2007
7:21 PM

Post #3837070

Maybe not everything is so serious on this site. Isn't that neat? The survey choices made me laugh. I needed that - my dentist referred me to an endodontist who this morning referred me to a peridontist! I need more humor in my life! LOL
Have a great day.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2007
7:39 PM

Post #3837150

Thanks everyone! I'm certain my article was a little startling after the informative, helpful articles we've been getting from our more knowledgable writers.

Everyone's input is appreciated and helpful. And I appreciate the fact that DG is the type of site where we don't have to be disagreeable to disagree. You all stated your thoughts and opinions honestly and respectfully. Thanks again! :-)
Mahnot
DFW area, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2007
7:49 PM

Post #3837184

Loved it ! You're very clever. Thanks a bunch.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2007
8:11 PM

Post #3837283

I took it as a humorous piece, creative and fresh. However, i wish somebody, somewhere had a scientific analysis about this topic. As a gardener, I know what I like, but I don't know why. The answer might help me in future landscape design, etc.

Then again, must I think and overthink everything? Probably not.
girlgroupgirl

August 9, 2007
8:50 PM

Post #3837423

I love it! What fun. I'm sure we can all see ourselves somewhere in this quiz! I know I can.

girlgroupgirl
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2007
9:15 PM

Post #3837496

I love creative writing, and this was a fun piece!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

August 9, 2007
9:24 PM

Post #3837522

I'm doomed! There was a good part of me in every description...does that mean I'm a schizophrenic gardener with multiple styles?? No wonder my garden is constantly being re-worked. You saved me millions of $$ in therapy! Thank you!

Great fun...
1cros3nails4gvn
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #3837540

the quiz added a splash of color where another informative would be monotonous.being a minor, it shows me that *some* adults are fun, and stilll in touch w/ the child in them, and not the boring cut-to-the-chase business only blah blah boring adult that fits modern stereotype. i think McGlory sounds like a fun person who still has some spunky teenage humor.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #3837543

I thought McGlory's description of herself was the best part... because it sounds rather like me!

xxx, Carrie
DianeinFL
Wimauma, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2007
10:57 PM

Post #3837832

Thanks for this article - I found it endearing rather than demeaning. I am an "academic gardener with vigorous undertones"... and it's true - my friends get annoyed with me for using Latin names (they make so much more sense!) but I do get my yard done. Even though it was meant to be a little bit of comedy there are some truths in it for sure.

The question with the photos was the funniest... seed catalogs always have (and I hope always will) send my garden spirit soaring.

Diane
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2007
11:02 PM

Post #3837844

I just wanted to publicly add, I am thrilled I didn't hurt your feelings with my remarks. I just didn't "get it" and possibly should have just left and said nothing at all...so thank you for understanding, that sometimes we all say things before we realize "what is really intended" and I hope you will write more for us to read and enjoy.
Janet

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #3837860

I about snorted my coffee out my nose this morning...(I've been on a dead run all day and haven't had time to comment till now.)

Yup, I'm 'all of the above'...and I thought it was a refreshing diversion from some of our more serious writings!

You go girl! It was good!
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2007
12:59 AM

Post #3838267

You know the kind of stuff that really hurts my feelings? When I slave away in my gardens, someone comes to visit, points to the one lone weed I missed and says, "Oh, what's that one?" LOL!

You all are just great, and I thank you. And thank you, JanetS, and I will reiterate that it's helpful for future writing to know what people's immediate reactions are.

By the way, stay tuned for tomorrow's article. I happen to know there's a treat in store...
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2007
1:19 AM

Post #3838361

heeeeeee, What a hoot !
(((♥)))
dave

August 10, 2007
4:08 AM

Post #3839033

Well done. :)

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2007
5:05 AM

Post #3839150

Hah...Very witty. Loved it.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2007
8:58 PM

Post #3841594

LOL LOL Melody snorting her coffee!!!!! LOL LOL LOL

x, C
hydrangea80
Council Bluffs, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 11, 2007
5:48 PM

Post #3844789

Again, just have to say how much I loved it and how much I enjoyed laughing!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

August 13, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #3852083

Clever, but the results don't "compute." lol
I had all D's except for the final one A, and the description doesn't come anywhere near my style! Apparently, I don't have one. :-) And I sure don't have a perfect manicure!

However, I enjoyed it and I think that was the point. Well done.
guardians
Thomson, GA

August 14, 2007
12:05 AM

Post #3853935

Well, I guess I am a little bit of all of these types, and not completely like any! I thought it was cute, allowing us to see our own unique idiosyncrasies and laugh at ourselves a little. However, I believe you left out the gardener I find I am, the "coveter" - I think I have to have one of everything, and then drive myself crazy finding the space and time to plant it all.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 9, 2009
7:12 AM

Post #6925191

LOL! I thought maybe this was going to be an article similar to the results we all shared on this thread over in the Roses forum:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/920499/

By the quiz results here, I have no style! Read the thread above and you'll get a whole new take on gardening "style"!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

August 9, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6925562

Great article, Lori, and I loved how I answered some As, some Ds, and the last one was all of the above! So I guess I'm a typical gardener if such a thing exists. Keep these fun articles coming!

Angie
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #6925945

Great Article Done in Good Taste====== Paul
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6926108

Well I just have to say I am all of the above except asking people if it is ok for me to plant. I plant what I want and don't worry about it.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #6928563

Glad you all liked this old article. I'll get back to writing next year. This year I'm collecting data. ;-)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6929585

Very cute.
wbade
Madison, WI

August 10, 2009
1:09 PM

Post #6929618

Only mildly funny. Waste of time. Please run a "real" style article.
vlayton
Grove City, OH

August 10, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6929811

I thought the article was really cute. I cannot believe that anyone would write a negitive response to someone that took the time and energy to write an article at all. You did a wonderful job, and thanks for taking the time to contribute to this web-site.

Life is really too difficult these days and reading a bit of HUMOR was very refreshing for me. Keep it up!
corinnecmcc
Mississauga, ON
Canada

August 10, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6929908

I am also surprised that someone would react negatively to a light and humorous article. Now I would like to see one with 'good gardener' results!
Tmys
Chojnice
Poland

August 10, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #6931335

The Author seems to be English or at least European, considering the sense of humour. Very refreshing. Greetings from Polamd where the most tend to be rather "A" with an inclination to "D" sometimes.
DrCoach
Mora, MN
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2009
8:32 AM

Post #6933568

Now I know why my flowers and fruit trees don't do well -- I have no B's (pun intended)!
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6942445

I thought the article was funny, although I didn't know it was going to be while I was answering the quiz, as I had an assortment of answers. Then, after reading the descriptions of gardeners, and seeing I'm a little bit of each, it became humorous! If you don't have any sense of humor, then you won't Get it, but if you're a Real gardener you will. All gardeners know they need some plant knowledge, lots of patience, and a good sense of humor --- or else they would have given up a long time ago! =)
debbij
Lunenburg, MA

August 13, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6942558

Loved it - all of the above and more!
Noturf
Marquesas Islands
Polynesia (French)

August 14, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6945782

My garden is better. Over one hundred species. It may not be the most beautifull
according to your lame standards. However, here there is no irrigation waste, gas, oil, noise pollution. Therefore a garden today, anywhere in the world should
reflect vision, thought, intelligence regarding these issues. Particularly if you
think that global warming is real, or CO2 emissions. Gardens can not be in vacuums or ridiculous, questionable aesthetics only. The humble one has written.
More for the studious gardener in http:endemismotrasnochado.blogspot.com/

Thumbnail by Noturf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6945924

Noturf: It certainly sounds like you have a one-of-a-kind garden, with many, many different species of plants. I am glad you have no pollution whatsoever on your Island; we do have a vision over here to reduce waste and pollution, and we are working on it. As gardeners, everyone has a different idea for their garden: some want many species of plants; others want a certain variety only, but lots of them; some want vegetables only, some flowers only; and many gardeners have both. We are all learning everyday about water conservation, soil amendments, garden pests--- all different subjects about gardening, and this great site is wonderful, because people Help people...Isn't that what Life is about? We also should Enjoy our garden, not just work in it! I hope you take time Today to stop and really embrace all the special sights and scents in your garden! =)
Noturf
Marquesas Islands
Polynesia (French)

August 18, 2009
10:17 AM

Post #6959890

Such is life. When I find writers gardeners or not, I write opinions with facts,
pictures, examples of why their view is distorted or show many flaws.
But I prefer not to express adolescent like opinions of liking or not liking this
or that who cares?
Give me facts, why? How? Criteria is what really matters, after all is not
about what do you like better vanilla or chocolate?
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #6964750

Noturf--- Fact: I like Chocolate better, but only if it is the Rocky Road kind; otherwise, I like Vanilla, but especially if it is on pie, or is homemade in your own ice cream-maker...mmmnn!
Fact: Just because you have a different view does not make the other person's view 'distorted'.
Fact: Everyone here likes to garden or wants to garden, or they wouldn't be on this site; sometimes opinions are just as important as facts.
Opinion: Your flower photo is lovely. =)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What Style of Gardener Are You? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very enjoyable!! threegardeners 24 Aug 15, 2009 4:39 PM
Very Fun, Laugh out loud! Lianed 0 Sep 19, 2007 5:07 PM
Hysterical Seandor 1 Aug 16, 2009 3:00 AM
Hoping for some answers trytobegardener 0 Nov 6, 2007 11:55 PM
Not too seriously HappyGardenerWI 0 Feb 4, 2008 7:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America