-
AuthorContent
maxvine
Perrysburg, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2007
10:11 AM

Post #3839404

Here's one of two different plants with the same characteristics I grew from some Datura, Black Currant Swirl seed I saved last year. Veriegated, dark and light both, and they produce tiny dark purple flowers and a berry type fruit instead of the standard thorny pod. Could this be a cross poll. with a nightshade or is it just more probably a result of the hybrid inbreeding? I also had other mutations on 2 other plants such as HUGE buds that don't open and leaves that look like gnarled claws but these seem to be reverting to normal as the plants mature. Does anyone out there have an answer or shall I just enjoy the wonders of plant diversity and keep enjoying my gardening fun (I'll do that despite the answer). Thanx in advance. Max

Thumbnail by maxvine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

maxvine
Perrysburg, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2007
10:12 AM

Post #3839406

Here's the other one.

Thumbnail by maxvine

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2007
1:49 PM

Post #3839863

I've never see anything like that! What do the seeds look like? Could you post a picture of the flower?

X
maxvine
Perrysburg, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2007
9:58 PM

Post #3841900

The seeds I planted looked like regular dats. You can see one of the flowers in the first photo in the center near the top. It's the small dark purple spot. Here's another shot though for clarity.

Thumbnail by maxvine

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2007
2:15 AM

Post #3842885

those look like ornamental peppers...
azreno
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2007
12:54 AM

Post #3883938

Yeah, that's an ornamental pepper :( Boy I was pretty excited for a moment there lol But I've grown the same pepper and remember loving it very much so at least I'm consisitent!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2007
4:19 PM

Post #3895234

I was LMHO when I enlarged the picture. Yep, you apparently have had ornamental pepper growing in nearby area. LOL, peppers and Dat's seed are nortoriously alike (scary a thought), also their seedlings do look like one another. Since pepper isn't poisonuous, but Dat's. Glad you've asked the question.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America