Mutations From Saved Datura Black Currant Swirl Seed

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's one of two different plants with the same characteristics I grew from some Datura, Black Currant Swirl seed I saved last year. Veriegated, dark and light both, and they produce tiny dark purple flowers and a berry type fruit instead of the standard thorny pod. Could this be a cross poll. with a nightshade or is it just more probably a result of the hybrid inbreeding? I also had other mutations on 2 other plants such as HUGE buds that don't open and leaves that look like gnarled claws but these seem to be reverting to normal as the plants mature. Does anyone out there have an answer or shall I just enjoy the wonders of plant diversity and keep enjoying my gardening fun (I'll do that despite the answer). Thanx in advance. Max

Thumbnail by maxvine
Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's the other one.

Thumbnail by maxvine
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've never see anything like that! What do the seeds look like? Could you post a picture of the flower?

X

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5b)

The seeds I planted looked like regular dats. You can see one of the flowers in the first photo in the center near the top. It's the small dark purple spot. Here's another shot though for clarity.

Thumbnail by maxvine
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

those look like ornamental peppers.......

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yeah, that's an ornamental pepper :( Boy I was pretty excited for a moment there lol But I've grown the same pepper and remember loving it very much so at least I'm consisitent!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I was LMHO when I enlarged the picture. Yep, you apparently have had ornamental pepper growing in nearby area. LOL, peppers and Dat's seed are nortoriously alike (scary a thought), also their seedlings do look like one another. Since pepper isn't poisonuous, but Dat's. Glad you've asked the question.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images