Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: Have kitchen gadgets, need recipes and instruction

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 24, Views: 164
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Equilibrium

August 11, 2007
5:15 AM

Post #3843437

I resigned just a bit ago from work and have obviously had a little bit too much free time on my hands. I stopped at a garage sale and I have no idea what got into me but I bought a bunch of cooking gadgets and baking thingies. I do not know what most of them are so I don't know how to use them or even what recipe to use with them. Like I said, I don't know what got into me when I bought them. Some of the gadgets I bought came in their original boxes so I will be able to tell you what the box says. Some just came loose. I've had some computer issues lately so I can't take photos of what I bought right now but sooner or later I will be able to post photos of my new treasures if necessary.

The first gadget has really left me scratching my head. It looks like a branding iron in the shape of a butterfly. The only thing I know about it is that whatever was made with it had powdered sugar sprinkled over it. I overheard two gals talking about having one that their Moms used to use when they were kids but in the shape of a snowflake. They were the ones who mentioned powdered sugar. I took a mental note of their comments because I figured it was a clue to what I had just bought.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

If so, would somebody please provide me with a recipe for it as well as instructions on how to use it? A name to the tool would be nice too and so would a name for what ever it is that would be made with this tool.

If I can't figure out what this is, I could always make up a batch of home made bubbles using glycerine and dish washing detergent and let the kids use it as a bubble maker. It sort of looks like those fancy metal wands that come in all different shapes that you can make giant bubbles with just by waving it around in the air.
mornin_gayle
Bloomingdale, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2007
6:53 AM

Post #3843557

Rosette Iron

Holiday Rosettes
2 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine eggs, sugar, and salt; beat well. Add remaining ingredients; beat until smooth. Heat rosette iron in deep, hot oil (350 to 375 F) for two minutes. Drain excess oil from iron; dip in batter to 1/4 inch from top of iron, then immediately into hot oil. Fry rosette until golden, 10 to 30 seconds. Lift out; tip upside down to drain. With fork, push rosette off iron onto rack placed over paper towels. Reheat iron 1 minute; make next rosette. If you have two rosette irons, reheat one while using the other. Stir batter from time to time as you will get some oil in it. Sprinkle rosettes with confectioner's sugar.

CHOCOLATE ROSETTE COOKIE RECIPE
Makes approx. 1-1/2 dozen.

1/2 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tsp. cocoa powder (any type)
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
vegetable shortening
Powdered sugar

In bowl, stir together cornstarch, flour, cocoa, sugar & salt. Beat egg lightly, combine
with milk, and add to dry ingredients. Stir until smooth.

mg

Thumbnail by mornin_gayle
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Equilibrium

August 11, 2007
1:19 PM

Post #3843928

That is EXACTLY what I bought. And, I know exactly what rosettes are. I've had them before. Parents made them for bake sales at school to raise money for the computer room. They are tasty. Not a lot to them so you'd have to eat about 20 in one sitting but they are good.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Psst, I bought a little deep fryer at the garage sale too. It looks brand new as if it has never been used. I bought a lot of things at this garage sale because I wanted to experiment.

What kind of oil should I use in the deep fryer for rosettes?
mornin_gayle
Bloomingdale, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2007
8:23 PM

Post #3845305

Personally, I'd use canola. But that is all I use, lol.

mg
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2007
12:27 AM

Post #3846080

me to but read a article about canola so don't know if should keep on.
Equilibrium

August 12, 2007
6:29 AM

Post #3846959

What did you read? I use a lot of safflower seed oil and then we also use olive oil. I don't think I'd want any rosettes out of olive oil. My Mom used to make donuts and I think, not positive, that she used Crisco.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #3848032

I don't fry very often, but if I do, I use palm or coconut oil. Spectrum Naturals has a good, trans fat free shortening made from palm oil. More info below:

http://www.allergygrocery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=2020

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/318762/review_of_spectrum_organic_vegetable.html

http://fanaticcook.blogspot.com/2004/11/new-shortening-for-pie-crust.html

http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=247
Equilibrium

August 12, 2007
5:53 PM

Post #3848313

Ohhhh, palm oil. I could try that! Thanks for mentioning it. I'll probably make donuts at the same time so I don't feel as if I'm wasting good oil.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2007
8:23 PM

Post #3848809

When you are through frying with it, the waste oil can be used to make bio-diesel to run your car or the public bus. :-)
Equilibrium

August 12, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #3849392

You made me laugh. I actually have a new greenhouse. The back up heater is a waste oil furnace. Wish I had a car that ran on the left over grease from McDonalds.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2007
3:35 AM

Post #3850436

If you have a diesel engine vehicle, you can run biodiesel in it, or buy a kit to convert it to a grease car, which means you would start and stop the car on the diesel fuel, but switch it over to waste vegetable oil (WVO) or straight vegetable oil (SVO) while driving. The standard greasecar configuration puts the second tank behing the back seat. I recommend finding a machinist who can build a dual chambered gas tank, and punch out a second filling tube on the side. That way you don't get oil vapors in the passenger compartment.

Then again, if it's cold enough to need the back up heater for the greenhouse, you'll probably need more doughnuts to sustain yourself through the cold. ;-)
Equilibrium

August 13, 2007
4:14 AM

Post #3850544

I like the way you think.

A kit to convert my car sounds interesting. If I put the second tank behind my seat does that mean I get to duct tape the children to the hood of the car?
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2007
6:00 AM

Post #3850700

Depends on how many hood ornaments we're talking about here.
Perhaps you could strap one to the roof?

http://www.greasecar.com/
http://www.fusel.com/kits.html

Please be sure to post photos of the Rosettes, once you try out your irons!
Equilibrium

August 13, 2007
6:16 AM

Post #3850711

Ok, so I'd have to tape one to the roof and one to the trunk deck too. But that's ok, duct tape is strong. That still leaves space for good little children to ride inside the car.

My husband went to college with a guy who bought a vehicle that already had the conversion kit to a grease car. He was really excited about it and that was all he talked about for the longest time much to his wife's chagrin. I think a grease car is a great idea.

Yes, the rosette iron I have is in the shape of a butterfly. I went online and found a few photos. They are a very pretty dessert with the powdered sugar sprinkled on them.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2007
6:34 AM

Post #3850724

Also good sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar.
While you are frying, the same batter can be used for "Apfelkrapfen" aka Apple Fritters. Cut the apples crosswise, cut out the core from the slice, dip in the batter and fry until done. Drain and sprinkle with sugar.

Here is a link with picture of Rosette cookbook:
http://www.steamships.org/lib/book/cookbook/nd_art_of_rosette_cooking.html

Ursula Kaiser, The Art of Rosette Cooking, n.d., Kalkus-Hirco, Lyons, Illinois, Soft Cover, 89 Pages.

Contents:

History
Instructions
Rosette Molds
Batters
Breakfast Treats
Appetizers and Snacks
Dips or Fillings
Dinner or Lunch
Desserts
Cookie Recipes
Craft Ideas for Rosette Ornaments
Krimp Kut Sealer
Tart Master
Tart - Turnover - Ravioli - Fried Pies - Filled Cookies

Looks like it's available from Fantes. I remember my mom made some savoury rosettes once, but I can't remember what she used as a filling.
http://www.fantes.com/rosettes.htm#book
Equilibrium

August 13, 2007
1:47 PM

Post #3851242

Your first link has a photograph that shows the butterfly rosette iron I have.

Your second link has some nice ideas.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2007
2:40 AM

Post #3872985

Hello Eq,

I have the book mentioned above if you need a good recipe.

:-) KM
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2007
5:14 AM

Post #3873346

So, Wuvie, which is your favourite recipe from that book?
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2007
2:32 PM

Post #3873953

I'll be completely honest with you, I prefer the ordinary, plain recipes
such as the Basic Batter for Lemon Cookies.

The book was purchased back when I was full throttle into rosettes, but
my family isn't too excited about the varied flavors, although I can sneak
in Batter #17, which is chocolate Kahlua now and then.

Some of my favorite rosette irons include a set from the 1933 World's
Fair (thank you, Ebay), a German set (they call them Waffelbackerei),
a mechanical rosette and a Spanish Rosette; which is very large.
The Spanish Rosettes don't take long, are big enough so that everyone gets
one and are beautiful!

Sugar Craft is a fantastic company with plenty of rosettes to choose from:

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/cooky/rosette.htm

You can see the individual irons here:

http://sugarcraft.com/catalog/cooky/rosettes-pg1.jpg

and here: http://sugarcraft.com/catalog/cooky/rosettes-pg2.jpg

Some may need to be specially ordered, but can be had.

:-) Karen Marie

garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2007
5:15 PM

Post #3874501

Mine is a Waffelbakerei set that was a gift from my German relatives.
I've also heard Rosette irons referred to as "Women's Branding Irons". LOL!
I'll bet there's a great story behind that name.
Equilibrium

August 19, 2007
9:49 PM

Post #3875456

Hey KM, I've got two basic recipes from MG but I would love any basic recipe of your pick from your book plus that Kahlua one you "sneak" in. Flavors probably won't go over well here either.

I'm going to be leaving soon and won't be back until after Labor Day so no great rush.

Say, thanks for offering. I know it's a big pain to have type from a recipe card or book.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2007
12:47 PM

Post #3877230

garden_mermaid wrote;"I don't fry very often, but if I do, I use palm or coconut oil."

Does the coconut oil work for frying? I read the Spectrum blurb, and they say for moderate heat sauteing, but not for high heat use. Have you been successful with the frying? I hardly ever fry, so really don't have a clue...
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2007
5:29 PM

Post #3878297

There are different types of coconut oil (differenct processing of the nutmeat to get the oil). I did not have any problem frying with the coconut oil, but I'm not using virgin CO for frying.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2007
2:41 PM

Post #3881729

Just thought I would post a picture of the iron I mentioned earlier.
This is the mechanical rosette iron. I'll admit to having tried it, but
there are just a few engineering flaws.

While it appears to be something you could prop over a deep pan
while frying, the tool itself gets very hot. When holding the gadget and
pressing down the lever, it is very warm to say the least.

But still a fun gadget to have.

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Equilibrium

September 3, 2007
4:22 PM

Post #3931850

Can't see your photo goshdarnitall. I'm going to have to work on fixing why ever it is that I can't see any photos at DG with this new computer.

I bought some peanut oil. Is peanut oil going to be ok for rosettes or is there something better.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America