Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
craftyjill
Pembroke Pines, FL

August 11, 2007
5:17 AM

Post #3843440

I have this wounderful white plasic patio swing set that originally had a canvus cover . I was able to lie down on it and watch the kids by the pool in the shade swinging and have lovely hours to sit and relax ...then a Hurricane came by two years ago and blew the canvus cover away. Do any of you have any creative ideas on what I can put on top of it to make my swing shaddy again. I was thinking about making it into a thatch roof type thing..but not sure where I would get the right type of palm leaves? I was also thinking of weaving some type of fabric on the original poles that originally held the canopy. Any ideas on how I can bring my swing back to life for this hot miserable summer! The more creative the better...anything that is easy to make and does not cost alot of money works best for me. Thanks for any suggestions
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2007
5:37 AM

Post #3843471

You might try buying chair webbing and weave it over the frame. It in inexpensive, weather resistant and easy to use. It comes in a lot of colors to allow you to come up with a pattern combination that pleases you and lets you use some creativeness in creating your very own stripe, checkered or plaid pattern.
wolflrv
Savannah, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2007
10:54 AM

Post #3843647

You can also buy vinyl tablecloths designed for outdoor use, which are thick enough and would hold up fairly well for a cover. They come in all kinds of colors and prints. Here's a link to one such place, but there are many others as well. They are easily sewn together to make any sized covering you need.

http://www.centralrestaurant.com/Vinyl--Tablecloths-c123.html
craftyjill
Pembroke Pines, FL

August 11, 2007
10:42 PM

Post #3845740

Thank you for the great suggestions! Keep the ideas coming. I just found this wonderful site and I am hooked!!! I will post a picture when I finish this project.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2007
11:07 PM

Post #3845834

Or you might be able to find a tent at a thrift store you could cut the cover from. They sell the fabric you need for an original replacement at fabric stores. If you don't sew, you might even consider using a GLUE GUN to "seam" it together. Or you could find somebody's old tarpoline frame and make a huge arbor over it with plants. Somebody had a post with that, it was a great idea.
Pat
pinkpoodlegirl
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2007
4:07 AM

Post #3846787

The fabric stores sell fabric for outdoors or I have used regular upolstery fabric and used the uv spray on it to cover cushions for outdoors. You can get several years of use out of it. About any canvas type fabric should work.

You could look up the manufacturer of the swing and see if they sell replacement covers. Sometimes they are cheaper than you think they would be.

Good luck with it...post pics when you are done.
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
3:58 AM

Post #3862406

I have the same problem with my Metal swing. Had it a couple of years and the material starting rotting out. It is about 5 years old now. I told my husband I would like to get a wooden swing and replace the one on the frame. He suggested fixing the frame we already had.

I like the ideal that Zanymuse had about using the webbing.

We got ours from Wal Mart and have tried to get a replacement covers for the swing as will for the canopy. But no good. I did find a place that would make one if I would send them the measurement, but it was a little more then I wanted to spend on it. More then what we even paid for the whole swing and canopy. Could have gotten 2 new ones,

But as craftyjill wrote keep the ideas coming.

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2007
5:45 AM

Post #3862605

OK, the practical side of me spoke...now for the more "outside of the box" ideas

For a rustic country look: buy several deerskin chamois and sew them together leaving the uneven edges so that you have a patched together piece. Place it over the frame and mark out grommet holes every few inches. Add grommets and lash the cover to the frame with rawhide strips from the craft store. Cover the cushions too or add a couple chamois pillows. Paint on a couple of Indian designs. When it is finished lay back and dream of being an Indian princess floating down a wide river.

Make a cover out of heavy muslin and using that as your base attach tiers of costume hula skirt grass for grass shack look. Make sure to have a coconut shell glass with a tiny umbrella to sip from.

Buy yards of feather boas and wrap them around the frame along with long strings of mardi gras beads and pretend you are riding a mardi gras parade float.

Got an old vertical blind with fabric slats? Weave the slats onto the frame and use a hot glue gun to keep them in place. Got only vinyl slats? weave the cover and wire it onto the frame.

Want a nautical look? Wrap the frame with clothesline rope and tack on a few signal flags.

Check your local thrift shops for an old woven wood shade. Remove the cords and wire it over the frame.

LOL that is all this old brain can think of so far...

oops... edited to add.. Wrap it with Duct tape! Duct tape fixes anything at least some folks seem to think so...and if it looks especially tacky your neighbors might chip in and buy you a new one just to get rid of the eyesore!

This message was edited Aug 15, 2007 9:57 PM
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2007
10:30 AM

Post #3862739

I've been lurking, have the same problem with a Walmart metal swing.

Zany, all great ideas, but I love the tropical one. I converted a lean-to built in front of an old camper that I painted to look like wood into a "tiki hut" over-looking the pool. This would be fantastic sitting nearby! Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Robin
craftyjill
Pembroke Pines, FL

August 18, 2007
6:20 AM

Post #3870148

zanymuse,,,love your ideas too! I was already thinking about getting some type of chicken wire that I could manipulate and tie on the canapy of the swing. then get some palm leaves on to the chichen wire///trim it and wala...a tiki! Now thets see how many palm trees I will have to sneak up on in my neighborhood. I have a few tall ones that are hard to get to...but living in Florida will not be much trouble to find them.

Still love those ideas coming.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 18, 2007
8:10 AM

Post #3870205

The reason I suggested the grass skirt approach to the tiki hut look is that the palm fronds are like razor blades to handle and the base of the fronds is heavy, hard to cut and difficult to get an even layered look with. The grass is soft to the hand and easy to work with and can be layered easily for a very realistic grass shack look.

next idea: using a strong cord, create a grid effect over the canopy frame. Place a planter at each end of the unit and plant some fast growing vines in them. Train the vines upward around a bamboo pole to reach the height of the canopy frame and then weave it across your corded gridwork trellis. The poles will make it possible to get the vines to the canopy without interfering with the motion of the swing below.

or: Using an oversized crochet hook crochet a cover for it using jute rope instead of yarn. if you use a jumbo hook it will be done in hardly any time at all and would give you a dappled shade effect.
wolflrv
Savannah, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2007
10:00 AM

Post #3870257

This thread is starting to remind me of a game that a buddy and I play sometimes called: "No..Wait..I've got it!!" LOL!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 18, 2007
3:44 PM

Post #3871048

So come on and play with me! I know there are lots of people here that are much more creative than I am that can give some really great ideas!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2007
6:54 PM

Post #3871577

Zany, you're on a roll...just want to see how many ideas you could come up with first!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 18, 2007
9:06 PM

Post #3871943

LOL the old brain is not as quick as it used to be. I may have run out of steam already. So please pitch in and give this idea thread a boost!
bedouin
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 19, 2007
2:47 AM

Post #3873008

Craftyjill, the marine industry uses SUNBRELLA for interior as well as exterior upholstry. I've included a site where you can read up on this. Also an ebay site selling 12 yards of it. Its extremely durabie, non-fading etc. I've also included site of Florida companies dealing in this type of work. Often, if you give them a call and ask if they have 'leftovers' you can get a bag of large pieces of leftovers for a surprisingly low price. If you are handy with a sewing machine (preferably one thats 'heavy duty' and one that can take a #18 needle and thread (also sold in the same stores), you'll have the cover for many, many years. Sometimes the leftovers will be large pieces, other times much smaller. Make sure you ask the general sizes of the pieces being sold. You'll probably have to 'piece' them but it could be very colourful and interesting if you mix the colours in your 'bag'. Anyhow, I thought you might find this type of material quite suitable and interesting for your Canopy.

Ebay guide to Sunbrella fabrics:
http://reviews.ebay.com/SUNBRELLA-FABRIC-Myths-vs-Facts_W0QQugidZ10000000000015509
Companies doing marine interior work, using Sunbrella.
Florida marine upholstery co's: http://www.superpages.com/yellowpages/C-Canvas+Wholesale+&+Manufacturers/S-FL/T-Fort+Lauderdale/
12 yards sunbrella on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/12Y-SUNBRELLA-OUTDOOR-MARINE-UPHOLSTERY-FABRIC-CONCORD_W0QQitemZ180149138741QQihZ008QQcategoryZ28160QQcmdZViewItem
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2007
1:45 PM

Post #3877401

Bedouin, thanks for sharing those links...great info!

Zany, whatcha got now? :)

We live on top of a hill out in the country...a little wind gust will flip our swing without a cover! I've been thinking on putting metal fence posts in the ground at both ends to anchor the swing, then wiring 2' wide chicken wire from the ground on one end, up, over and down the other side, then planting some kind of fast-growing vines on both sides. (Did I mention we have no shade here?)

CraftyJill, I used palm branches tucked under one edge of the roof of my "'tiki hut, the only problem I have with them are I didn't bring home enough. These were fronds I found on the ground that had already turned brown, so are no longer sharp-edged. I just wanted them for "effect". We were staying around Lake Okochobee for awhile, and I found them around the edges of parking lots at grocery stores and little strip malls. No one ever said anything about me picking them up. I used what ever I could find, so have 3 different kinds of fronds. If you used clothes line rope from the $ store, wouldn't cost hardly anything to put together.

2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2007
2:32 PM

Post #3877584

msrobin I like your idea about the chicken wire and vines growing up and over your swing I can see it growing and blooming with beautiful flowers.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2007
2:47 PM

Post #3877659

Thanks! Figured that would be the easiest and cheapest way to go.
craftyjill
Pembroke Pines, FL

August 20, 2007
10:23 PM

Post #3879345

Msrobin...I just found some chicken wire in the street the other day and had the same idea...its just so hot here to grow vines where the swing is. I love the palm leaf leaves still... I wish I could mail you a bunch...

I have Fibromyalgia so I am confined to bed for days at a time thinking of all these great things I want to do...but the body doesnt always agree with me. As soon as I am feeling better, I will be out in my yard workin up a storm.

Will send pictures when I finish it!

Jill
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 21, 2007
1:18 AM

Post #3880072

Jill, I hope you feel better soon. I am looking forward to seeing your palm leaf canopy but tkae it easy and don't work up any storms out there. Mother nature is doing enough of that already!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2007
1:19 AM

Post #3880079

Thanks, Jill. Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well.

I'd love to see your pictures when you get it done! I'm waiting for it to get cooler, too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America