Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cooking: Deluxe Timbale Set

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 8, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Equilibrium

August 11, 2007
5:41 PM

Post #3844768

Yup, I bought a deluxe timbale set. It's in the original box and was well used because the directions are long gone as are any recipes that might have told me what to do with it. The cover of the box only shows a picture of what's in the box. There are no photos of the food one would make with what ever a Timbale Set is.

I went online to do a yahoo image search and came up with a bunch of photos of musical instruments. Timbales must not be very popular either that or they're an ethnic food of some sort.

Anyone out there know what to do with this little treasure?
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2007
12:21 AM

Post #3846059

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=164016

here is swedish..

other search said type baking dish..
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2007
12:22 AM

Post #3846066

What is a Timbale?
In cooking, a timbale can refer both to a type of baking dish and to a type of food, usually prepared ... Timbale is usually cooked in a tray of water, because the steam helps the custard t...
www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-timbale.htm [Found on Windows Live, Yahoo! Search]
Equilibrium

August 12, 2007
6:32 AM

Post #3846962

Oh neat, it's some sort of a custard set. Thanks hope43!

Have you ever used a Timbale set before? You don't by any chance have a basic recipe do you?
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2007
4:21 PM

Post #3847965

If your timbale set looks like a custard set, then it is often used as a mold for rice, couscous or savoury puddings/mousse that are unmolded in the middle of the plate and surrounded by sauce or veggies.

scroll 1/2 way down this page to see photo of "timbale of couscous"
http://tinyurl.com/22e6ex

scroll to bottom of this age to see "Neapolitan Timbale"
http://tinyurl.com/2zpwn2

Baked Corn Timbale
http://tinyurl.com/29x6rq

Equilibrium

August 12, 2007
5:57 PM

Post #3848326

Yes, it looks like a custard set.

I couldn't get to the recipes at the first two links but I could get to the recipe at the third link.

Thanks so much, I can go on the Internet and poke around for something to try. At least I know what I have now and what to make with it.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2007
2:38 AM

Post #3872977

Hi Eq,

This is too funny, here you are in a timbale iron post and earlier I found
you in a pizzelle post. You are truly in my kitchen closet, LOL.

Timbale irons and rosette irons are often linked together, though the
rosette irons are generally lace-like, while the timbale irons are designed
to form little cups which may be filled with various goodies.

I've been collecting both styles of irons for some time now, so I have boxes
full and drawers full of all sorts of sizes and shapes of them.

Have you found a recipe you like best? If not, I have tons of recipes, and even
a few vintage cookbooks just for timbale and rosette irons.

:-) Karen Marie
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2007
12:31 PM

Post #3873631

Wow, WUVIE, you have recipe books just for timbale irons?! Very interesting!

So I'm a little confused reading through the thread but it appears there are references to two kinds of timbales here (at least), right?!?

It sounds like 'timbale irons' are to make the pretty pastry cases similar to tart shells, right? You dip your irons into batter (similar to rosette batter) and deep fry them until a bit crispy. Then shake them off, cool, and fill with things like berries and a dab of whipped cream for a sweet desert or chopped chicken, peas, and mushrooms for a savoury.

Then the other kind of timbale is a custardy concoction baked in what we call custard cups or ramekins-- like for instance a one made of shredded carrots with some ginger flavoured eggy cream mixture--

I haven't thought of timbales or had either of these timbales in many years-- since we lived in Wisconsin (for the swedish inspired crispy timbales) and custardy ones were popular when we lived in Europe in the 70s... Had completely forgotten about them!

I'll have to look in my closet and see if I still have the stuff around for them--sound like they would be fun to make again!

Equi--Please let us know how your recipes turn out!
Equilibrium

August 19, 2007
9:58 PM

Post #3875479

Hey KM! I went to a garage sale and ended up buying things that looked like fun that I had no idea what to do with. I sure did get into a cook's closet, that's for sure! This winter is going to be fun.

Yes, I'll take anything you want to suggest. If you can cut and paste a few that you know will be good, that's great. I feel guilt about making you type from a vintage cookbook but if there are a few in there that are to die for I'd be most appreciative of your time. The fruit type desserts described by tobasco sound wonderful but so do the savoury recipes. I'm easy, I've tried not one single timbale recipe before so I'm game for anything.

Hey tobasco, I'll eat just about anything but not so with everyone else here. I'll let you know how they rate my creations this winter when I come inside and start playing.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America