-
AuthorContent
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
12:04 AM

Post #3845990

I added arilbred iris "Tauris successfully, but only after I had clicked on the "finished button" did I realize I had forgotten to add the hybridizer and year. So I added them under synonym, but of course that isn't correct. Can I get one of you admins to fix it? There is no second chance on adding hybridizer and date.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2007
12:11 AM

Post #3846019

You're in luck, there is a second chance on the hybridizer--at least there is on other plants, I know irises have some special stuff, but for other plants if you want to change the hybridizer, go to your entry, scroll all the way to the bottom, and you should see a link that says "edit this entry". Click this, and it'll give you a screen with the hybridizer and some other info. I think this should work for irises as well.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
12:26 AM

Post #3846075

Thanks, ecrane, I hadn't noticed that link. I was able to enter the correct hybridizer and date in the correct fields, but there seemed to be no way to remove them from the Synonym category. Of course, that doesn't bother me as much, but it is confusing. Thanks for helping me get started on this new plant addition business.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

August 12, 2007
12:33 AM

Post #3846120

I corrected it for you. I also added all of the zone hardiness, since you had only checked off 5a, and I extended the pH. If you are unsure of what to check, you can search PlantFiles for Arilbred Iris and see what the zones and pH are on the other entries.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
12:43 AM

Post #3846166

Thanks, I was curious how people knew all the different zones and soil ph's. I only knew mine. And thanks for fixing my boo-boo. I hope to have pictures to go with all these new entries in the spring next year.
Betty
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

August 12, 2007
12:46 AM

Post #3846176

You're welcome Betty. I did some extensive research on all the different iris, and have personally gone through most of the iris entries in the database, so I pretty much know you can rely on the information on most of the entries to be accurate. Have fun in PlantFiles. Just a warning though, it's addictive. ;)
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
2:55 PM

Post #3847676

I am having fun in plant files already. I hope to get some more pictures in next year. I have pretty much added everything I have taken so far. So in the future do I just look up another iris and copy the zones and phs it likes or are some irises different from others? Or do I leave it to you to fix when a new one comes in?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2007
3:02 PM

Post #3847690

It's always nicer if you add the info in yourself rather than having the admins do it, especially in a case like this where there are so many great entries already there for you to find the information in. There are different types of iris, not being an iris lover I don't know how different they are from each other, but the best thing to do is find an iris that's as similar as possible (at least in the same class) to the one you're adding, and copy the info from it.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
4:34 PM

Post #3848011

I will do that and hope that if I get it wrong someone will correct me. I know there are people who are growing iris in North Dakota and Canada who find certain cultivars don't make it there.
I have also heard of people finding certain cultivars won't grow in the heat of Arizona. Hopefully they won't think the data I enter is the gospel truth.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2007
4:49 PM

Post #3848065

People can always report errors--if you have absolutely no idea where to find the correct information then sometimes it's better to leave things blank, but when you have a great source like the very similar irises that are already in PF (and JoanJ said the ones that are there are pretty accurate), then I find it's much better to put the information in. Especially in this case since JoanJ is an iris expert and has already checked so many of them, I think your chances of being accurate are very good.

The info you're putting in won't really capture whether things will grow in Arizona or not anyway--the climate zones only factor in winter lows, not summer highs, so the thing to do there is the people in AZ who haven't had luck growing it should put that in the comments, there's really no way to capture that in the details that you're checking off since there are other places in zone 8 & 9 where those irises probably do just fine.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

August 12, 2007
5:23 PM

Post #3848206

When we say a Tall Bearded Iris will grow in zones 3 through 8, it may very well also grow in some areas of zone 2 and 9 if the conditions are right.

There's lots of other conditions, besides temperature, that determine if an iris will grow in two different zone 3 areas in different parts of the country. Soil types and amount of rainfall are two of the big ones. The bearded iris cannot be in damp conditions for very long, or they will rot. If the soil is clay and holds water, and is located in an area of high moisture, they might not do very well some years. (Laurief has this problem in her zone 3b area) My soil is very sandy and we don't get much rainfall, so they love my zone 4a garden. Laurie's garden and my garden are very similar according to the temperature zones, but the soil types and difference in rainfall makes the difference in how well they do for us.

To answer your question though, if you are adding a Tall Bearded Iris, do a PF search for Tall Bearded Iris, and you will find that lots of the information is the same for all of the Tall Bearded Iris. The same with Arilbred, Species X, Louisiana, Japanese, etc. Each type has their own set of needs, but those needs are pretty consistent for all cultivars of that type of iris.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
5:37 PM

Post #3848245

Thanks! So far I have been using Superstition as my model for TBs because it is first on the iris page. From now on I will use TB's for TB's, AB's for ABs, etc. Thanks for all the help. I really enjoy adding the new plants when I come across them, though I don't find very many that don't already exist in PF! And I try to add pictures especially of varieties of veggies for Farmerdell. Unfortunately, I planted more iris than veggies this year.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

August 12, 2007
5:47 PM

Post #3848281

LOL Yep, slowly we start planting more pretties than veggies. I used to have a veggie garden that was over an acre. That was when we had 5 kids at home, and somehow I also had time to can and freeze enough that we made that garden last through the winter. I also had the same full time job I still have. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how I had time to do all of that when we had 5 kids at home, and now that they are mostly all grown I can't even keep my much smaller veggie garden weeded. I'm convinced that the days are shorter than they used to be, and there's not as many of them as there used to be either.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
6:23 PM

Post #3848407

Boy, I have to agree with you there. Where does my time go? I am retired and I no longer have kids around, yet I barely have any time. And I never canned.
Currently I am converting some of my raised veggie beds to temporary sites for iris until I can fit them into the landscape -- rocky and hilly, in need of soil and terracing, it goes slowly. This iris thing has bitten me badly. What a lovely disease.

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other PlantFiles How-to's Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Why don't you follow the rules of nomenclature? Terry 1 May 31, 2008 3:40 PM
    Taxonomy changes coming in the PDB Terry 41 Oct 20, 2007 2:03 AM
    How do I search for what is reported to grow well near me? ceallachg 12 Aug 29, 2008 11:27 PM
    Meet your PlantFiles Editors Terry 44 Aug 26, 2010 1:35 AM
    Royalty lilac bigcityal 7 Aug 8, 2007 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America