Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beekeeping: Those wrascally bees!

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 0, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jio1
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2007
12:16 AM

Post #3846040

As y'all know, I've been using the butterfly feeder to feed the bees. The feeder has three braided cotton cordages - one end goes in the sugar water, the other end comes up through a hole and mimics flower stamens. The bees learned, figured out or ?? how to pull the cordage *out* of the feeder (see pic). The first day, I thought I was mis-understanding somehow what was going on, or that the bees weren't responsible. The second day, I realized, I *did* understand what was going on, and the bees *were* responsible. By the end of the 2nd day, two of the cordage pieces were gone, so I took the top off the feeder, put a couple small rocks in it, and am just using the bottom of the feeder as a dish -- bees are fine with it and it's easier for me. How, though, I wonder, did they pull all that cordage out? Little bee chain gangs -- or like old-time sailors hoisting the anchor? And were they singing heave-ho kinds of songs, LOL! jo

jo

Thumbnail by jio1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America