Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Those wrascally bees!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

As y'all know, I've been using the butterfly feeder to feed the bees. The feeder has three braided cotton cordages - one end goes in the sugar water, the other end comes up through a hole and mimics flower stamens. The bees learned, figured out or ?? how to pull the cordage *out* of the feeder (see pic). The first day, I thought I was mis-understanding somehow what was going on, or that the bees weren't responsible. The second day, I realized, I *did* understand what was going on, and the bees *were* responsible. By the end of the 2nd day, two of the cordage pieces were gone, so I took the top off the feeder, put a couple small rocks in it, and am just using the bottom of the feeder as a dish -- bees are fine with it and it's easier for me. How, though, I wonder, did they pull all that cordage out? Little bee chain gangs -- or like old-time sailors hoisting the anchor? And were they singing heave-ho kinds of songs, LOL! jo

jo

Thumbnail by jio1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.