Interplanting daffodils, tulips, with perennials

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I am planning an expansion to my foundation plantings, and one of the things that I am considering is to include daffodils, and tulips. Ideally, they will be with my pansies that I am starting from seed, and some perennials at one one end. Since I have not planted these combinations together, I have some concerns.

In a past house, I only planted daffodils ringing my trees. They never had to compete with any other planting flowers. I have never planted tulips. I am wondering if the bulbs will have problems with the perennials, since the roots from both will always be in the ground. Last year, I pulled up all the daffs my current house, since they were in an area where I wanted to plant perennials. I think that they have really multiplied over the years or the previous owner had just planted an over abundance. If was almost scary to see how many I pulled up. I'm still not sure that I got them all, but I guess I will find out this spring.

So basicly, I need to know if these bulbs and perennials will be good neighbors. I know that they bloom at different times, but I worry about the space they may need. I want to be sure that this doesn't affect the coneflowers that I will be planting. I think I may eliminate this problem completely in a large part of this border by using annuals.

This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!