Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Strawbale Gardening: growing strawberries in bales of hay

Communities > Forums > Strawbale Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Strawbale GardeningReplies: 12, Views: 348
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lovedirtynails
Portland, OR

August 12, 2007
6:24 PM

Post #3848409

I saw Jan Mcneilan on the local gardening show (Garden Time, I think) talking about how she grew strawberries in a bale of hay. She said it worked wonderfully, but didn't talk about how to plant them in the bale. do you add soil???? Anyone know this method? Thanks
pardalinum
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2007
7:06 PM

Post #3848543

I suggest you post this on the Vegetable Gardening forum. There is a fellow on there who calls himself Strawbaleman and he is an expert at straw bale gardening! Here is a link to it:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/yumyum/all/

lovedirtynails
Portland, OR

August 13, 2007
12:04 PM

Post #3850980

Thanks Pardalinum, I just checked out the link - there's tons of info there for me. You're a great help!
susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2007
5:02 PM

Post #3852098

I've got an overabundance of strawberry plants that are getting a little "grabby" for territory. They're staging an assault on the path and have a beachhead, so it's time to move them. Let me know if you'd like some? They're all June-bearing and happily putting out runners for babies right now. I'm pretty sure I have Shuksan and Tristar. I'm not sure what the ones that migrated from the neighbor's are, though.
lovedirtynails
Portland, OR

September 2, 2007
1:24 PM

Post #3928050

Susybell,that is so nice of you to offer! sorry I didn't get back sooner - I've been out of town visiting my parents... but yes, I would love some... if the offer is still good. thanks a ton.

anne
susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2007
9:36 PM

Post #3929403

You're in luck, I haven't been in a hurry and I really don't like ripping healthy plants up, so I still have lots. I'm out of town for the holiday and will be back midweek. I'll send you a dmail when I get back if that works for you?
lonejack
Longview, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2007
3:06 AM

Post #4091604

Hi susybell and lovedirtynails,
I too live in the Portland area. Are you starting strawberries in the fall? Will they survive the winter in straw bales?
God Bless you, Lonejack
susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2007
3:26 AM

Post #4091647

Hi lonejack,

I've had my strawberries for a number of years and they have multiplied-and spread quite well-all over one of my garden beds, but I've never done anything with bales. This thread originated in the PNW forum, which is how I saw it. I don't really have a lot of room for strawbale gardening here.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9166054

Straw bale man is Kent Rogers. We all know him here as the kuru of Straw bale gardening.

Here are my strawberries in my Straw Bales

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   Thumbnail by Gourdbeader   Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Click an image for an enlarged view.

gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9167153

Gourdbeader, are you planting the strawberry plants directly into the bales or are you adding compost or some kind of soil? Do you feed them anything during the summer. I am considering taking some runners and planting them in the used bales later this summer. I plant everything else like tomatoes, peppers and eggplants in a mixture of compost and potting soil which I put in the bales after scooping out a small hole. I also feed those plants with a fish emulsion every couple of weeks. Would that be good for the strawberry plants as well?
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9167451

I plant them directly into the bales and then add a little potting mixture around each one. Thats It. Nothing else but water. I leave them all winter and then they come back the next year. I usually have to transplant on the third year when my bales start to decompose. I usually do this late fall or just after the last frost in spring.
this is my 6th year with the same plants. I have bought a few more to replace some that gave up the ghost but most of these all came from my original plants 6 years ago. I have never added anything to the soil or bales in the way of fertilizers or such and I get the biggest berries in the area. Cool huh?
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9167984

I am intrigued that your strawberries do so well without any fertilizer since straw bales do not have much in the way of nutrients. Had you prepped your bales by adding nitrogen to get them to soften? Since I no longer put my new bales out in the spring but rather in the fall and let them sit all winter I find I must add something to the potting soil I put in them for the tomatoes, eggplants, etc. I can understand that your bales would have more nutrients the second or third year as they break down but the first year is my issue. Now that the strawberries are just about over and producing runners I think I will try this in one of my second year bales or get a new one and let it sit for a couple of months until late summer, then plant some of the runners. Thanks for the info.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #9168258

I don't add anything at all. I wanted to add some fertilizer this year to see if it was any better but couldn't find anyone that could give me a definite answer as to what to use how much to use and when to apply it. I know that if you apply it at the wrong time you get beautiful leafs but nothing great in the way of berries.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Strawbale Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling KentNC 274 Oct 18, 2009 1:58 AM
Strawbale Gardening (part 7) Jnette 126 Mar 20, 2007 9:51 AM
Straw Bale Gardening LauraK 49 Apr 2, 2008 12:02 AM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 8) KentNC 114 Apr 2, 2007 5:32 PM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 9) KentNC 124 Apr 21, 2007 12:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America