Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Kudzu Monsters…will not take over the universe!!: Oh, Lord, am I glad...

Communities > Forums > Article: Kudzu Monsters…will not take over the universe!!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Kudzu Monsters…will not take over the universe!!Replies: 5, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Machikoneko

Machikoneko
Hometown, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2007
7:30 PM

Post #3852851

I didn't take cuttings of it when I was down South. They actually sell seeds on e-bay I had considered buying, but after reading the Plantfiles, and now this article, I'll NEVER bring this beast home!!!
Great article, and congratulations on your victory!

Marsha.

(And I thought dandelions were bad...) :/
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2007
8:48 PM

Post #3853231

No matter how bad someone tells you kudzu is, you can always remember, it's a little worse than that!
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2007
9:53 PM

Post #3853473

Excellent article

Thank You .

Gives us hope to kill it off eventually.

Another concern is kudzu's connection to soybeans.

Because it is a legume like the soybean plant, kudzu serves as an alternate host for Asian soybean rust - a devastating crop disease first detected in the continental United States this past November.

The disease spread as far north as Missouri and Tennessee.

terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #3854422

Soybean rust is alive and well in Northern IL. Kudzu isn't this far north, but soybean rust is.

girlgroupgirl

August 14, 2007
4:13 AM

Post #3854793

Scooterbug, I'm wondering how much of a factor GM has been with the spread of the soybean rust as well. There is such a mono-culture with certain crops, especially soybeans that an "irish famine" has been bound to happen.
I had not heard that the soybean rust was found in North America, nor that Kudzu may be a host.
Thank-you,

Glynis
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2007
2:22 PM

Post #3855723

Glynis, here an excerpt from this IL website
http://www.soybeanrust.org/historyanddistribution.htm

[quote]Host Range
Phakopsora pachyrhizi infects over 95 species of plants from more than 42 genera (3), including soybean and related Glycine species (13, 15, 18). Included in the list are many of the wild and edible legumes. The full host range of both rust species has not been clearly identified and may be complicated by pathotypes and differential reactions within host species (5, 6). Included in the list is Kudzu (Pueraria lobata), which is widespread in the U.S. and could serve as an inoculum reservoir or bridge host for P. pachyrhizi in the southern U.S. Kudzu, growing along roadsides and in ditch banks in Brazil and Paraguay, was severely infected with rust and showed no apparent loss of plant vigor (M. Miles, pers. obs.). The broad host range of the two species of Phakopsora that infect soybean is unusual among rust pathogens, as most rust species have a narrow host range that is limited to a few plant species. The large number of host species increases the likelihood that this pathogen will survive and over winter in the southern U.S., as well as in Central America.[/quote]

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Kudzu Monsters…will not take over the universe!! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Scary stuff! KyWoods 9 Aug 16, 2007 9:32 PM
How not to kill kudzu. pajaritomt 2 Aug 14, 2007 2:46 AM
Any one tried goats Hemental 3 Sep 9, 2009 4:03 PM
Kudzu for health? lynnOnOlena 0 Sep 7, 2009 10:48 PM
Not if Kudzu Bugs can help it sallyg 0 Aug 27, 2013 8:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America