-
AuthorContent
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2007
8:21 PM

Post #3853115

I just wanted to share an arrangement I like to make with alstroemeria lilies. They're easy to make and very inexpensive. All you need is a small piece of oasis foam that would fit snug into a ceramic flower pot. Make sure it's snug...or it will float when you add water. There are other methods to keep the foam from floating, but this is about keeping it simple. I arranged the stems so that the flowers formed a round ball at the top. Then cut the ends evenly and keeping them together, I pierced them into the center of the oasis. Tied a ribbon at the base of the flowers to hold the shape and filled the bottom with golden aster and left over lilies (cut short) to hide the oasis. I spent $6.66 (3 bunches of flowers for $10.00) on the flowers. I used about a third of a brick of foam, which costs around 1.00/per brick. The pot and ribbon I had on hand...which makes the total of the arrangement around $7.00! In the picture, I placed the pot into a larger glass vase to keep water from splattering all over the place when I go to "water" it. The foam can dry out fast. This simple arrangement makes a great gift for someone in need of cheering up or a great centerpiece for the table or fireplace. Anyway, if this inspires you to go out and make one, please share a picture of your version for everyone to see!!!

Thumbnail by karmaplace
Click the image for an enlarged view.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 13, 2007
9:10 PM

Post #3853335

That looks very good Karma, I will have a go! I don't have any Alstomeras at the moment, what else could I use?
Thanks for adding something 'new'! It's a great idea.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 13, 2007
11:57 PM

Post #3853909

Well, here's mine! I used Gladioli and decorative red wire.

Thumbnail by terriculture

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2007
5:09 AM

Post #3854877

Great idea! And something we can (cheaply) do when we're out of flowers for the season, which is probably something we Northerners worry about more than you two. :)

I can see I'm going to have to get some oasis tomorrow so I have some on hand.

Suzy
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2007
9:37 AM

Post #3855059

Very nice Terri. Didn't know that can be done with glads!

Suzy, does that mean you will try one for us? I found one online for 49.95...crazy! http://www.ginnysgifts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=1170&zenid=4ce68bcb3dd87a06079e8b4c3a05f8c9
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2007
1:08 PM

Post #3855465

I like either of yours better than Ginny's. They are in better scale and have more charm.

Yes, I'll try one, soon. Today is my day with my elderly mother, so it won't be today.

Suyz
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #3857582

Suzy, hope you had a great day with your mother. I look forward to seeing your version of the topiary...take your time and have fun!
HopeinNJ
Brookside, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2007
10:10 PM

Post #3865066

My first post on Dave's Garden! This is a bouquet I made for church last Sunday, but I think it speaks for me - simple arrangement, common flowers - 'cut and come again' zinnias, echinacea, Queen Anne's Lace and pachysandra, in a natural container. I had spent the afternoon digging out pachysandra to put in some more interesting shade ground covers.

Thumbnail by HopeinNJ

Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #3865959

Welcome HPreston! Your basket is right up my simple alley and I love the contents. Very refreshing and soothing. I don't have time for topiaries, but I so appreciate all your collective creative effots here.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 17, 2007
10:49 AM

Post #3866794

Welcome HPreston, from me too. Thankyou for showing us your fresh basket of flowers. You have created a lovely
shape and the basket really suits the design.Hope to see more!
BDale60
Warren, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2007
11:27 AM

Post #3866824

Lovely basket of flowers, HPreston! I'm sure that was warmly received by your congregation.

Karma, I like your idea in the initial post of this thread...namely, to help encourage us about some of the materials and techniques that go into the arrangements. Terri has done some excellent work with that as well. I find it quite interesting to peer "behind the curtain" as it were and see what some of the basic approaches are to creating nice arrangements.

Looking forward to more.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2007
11:53 AM

Post #3866850

Welcome HPrestion. I agree with terriculture. Lovely basket of flowers you created. I hope there will be many many more posts to come!

Poochella, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to view our arrangements and letting us know that it's appreciated!

Bdale, I miss reading your comments on here. Thanks. I do hope people will feel more encouraged to make floral arrangements when they see how easy it really is.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 17, 2007
12:12 PM

Post #3866900

Nice to see people chatting!
BDale, I think that is a very good idea, to see how things are made. I have thought about doing step by step
of how I have made things, but I didn't want to bore people by making the postings too long winded!
If you think it's a good idea, I will show how I make mine!

I have noticed that we all have our favourite 'style' of arrangements, we have 'Traditional' and 'Modern' designs
in my opinion, both are valid and both are exiting and there is always something to learn when viewing each other's
work.

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2007
12:27 PM

Post #3866944

Terri, I would love for you to do that! Sometimes, I wonder how in the world you managed to do some of the things you do. It would be swell if you had time to show us! I love traditional as well as contemporary...I'm not sure what my favorite is...can you tell by what I've made?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 17, 2007
12:53 PM

Post #3867012

Karma, that is difficult to say because you have done both! I like your style for that reason, you have not become
fixed into a style, it is still developing! and now exiting is that. All I will say is your choice of containers are modern
so that tends to make your work look contemporary.
Keep doing your wonderful work and sharing your ideas with us.!
It depends on what the occasion the flowers are intended for,which will help you to decide what style is suitable to use.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 17, 2007
1:37 PM

Post #3867145

Karma, I was wondering if you do any other 'crafty' things? I usually make cards to go with my arrangements so the
person receiving has a picture of the flowers too!

This message was edited Aug 26, 2007 6:58 PM
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2007
5:36 PM

Post #3867898

Terri, how do you do that? Do you do it from your computer, or hands on? That sounds like a nice idea. I think there's a crafts forum on here that I've been meaning to check out. I wish I had the time to do crafts, although when the occasion arises, I do spend a lot of time gift wrapping.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 17, 2007
5:53 PM

Post #3867956

Hi Karma, Well I don't know how to 'scan' yet, as I only got my compuer not long before I found you!

My camera has a small printer with it, so I buy blank cards, print the photo's and stick them onto the cards.
Some I cut up and play about with, using dirrerent backgrounds and collage materials, dried flower's etc..

I can just imagine you making elegant gift wrappings! I'm a bit rough when it comes to wrapping!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 26, 2007
6:04 PM

Post #3902291

A simple arrangement of garden flowers in water.
Russian vine and Dahlia's

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 26, 2007
6:10 PM

Post #3902315

Dahlia's, Roses, Anemone,Russian vine, Conifer

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 26, 2007
6:13 PM

Post #3902335

Conifer, phlox,roses anemone and Dahlia's

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 22, 2007
5:09 AM

Post #4109428

All green arrangement

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2007
7:54 PM

Post #4111419

Terri, that is too cool what you did with the foliage. I love it. . .but this thread is about making it simple. . .so I want to see how you did it!!!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 22, 2007
11:01 PM

Post #4112070

I knew I put it in the wrong thread but I couldn't think where to put it at the time.!
The big Aspidistra leaves were wired and taped at the back, that meant I could manipulate them to make the corrugated shapes.The rest was sprigs of various greenery from around the garden.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2007
11:13 PM

Post #4112107

Terri, I don't mind at all. Just teasing you. Although it does look really difficult to do. . .you're really meticulous and artistic. I love it.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 11, 2008
9:36 PM

Post #4525081

Thanks Karma!
Gerberas wrapped in laurel leaves... simple!

mickwallion
Primos, PA

March 4, 2010
9:14 PM

Post #7605462

Here is mine with red dahlias and Simple white vases..

-----------------------------
birthday hampers
60th birthday hampers

Thumbnail by mickwallion

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2010
12:41 AM

Post #7605660

Mickwallion - thanks for resurrecting this thread. I have not seen it before. I like things nice and simple too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America