Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Its a Small World After All: Small world, for sure!

Communities > Forums > Article: Its a Small World After All
bookmark
Forum: Article: Its a Small World After AllReplies: 14, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2007
1:30 PM

Post #3855533

I had never met Sugarweed (whose birthday happens to be today!), even though she lives just a few blocks from my house. It was only as a result of Dave's Garden that we first shared our mutual passions for plants and gardening, and then realized we lived within hollerin' distance of each other!

I've also met DGers through roundups from other areas of my city and around the state, and even in other states, by exchanging plants and sharing gardening information and interests online.

This is, indeed, a great place to make lasting friends!

I'm curious if anyone else found a friend on DG, only to realize you were practically next door neighbors?

Jeremy
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

August 14, 2007
7:56 PM

Post #3856857

Jeremy, I didn't find a next door friend, but I did - through a friend I met on DG - reconnect with dear friends I had lost touch with years ago in Israel. That is what inspired this article. Oh yes, and I did put next door friends in touch with DG...that's always fun too!
flowerette
Alvin, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2007
8:02 PM

Post #3856880

Islandshari,
Your article is well stated and beautifully written. Hope to read more of your thoughts.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2007
6:40 PM

Post #3878599

I agree! Such a true article!
I've had a couple DG member events at my home and garden, and there is such a common thread with everyone I've ever met from DG, or in the plant world in general. No pun intended, but everyone really is down to earth, wonderful people. The last plant swap had a melting pot of people from everywhere, backgrounds, religions..enjoying each other and like you said..discovering more of simlarities than differences.

From the headquarters of your friendly "Island hopper"
Continental Airlines/Air Micronesia

Randy Judd
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

August 20, 2007
7:18 PM

Post #3878738

Randy - bless your lil pea pickin heart! Another DG coincidence! I am in the process of planning - well actually its my DH who's doing it - our vacation, and we are trying to figure out how to spend the most time in Houston to visit with some DG friends who are driving from Desoto to meet us! Then on to Brownsville...
So funny to spend all this discussion with DH about Houston this, and Houston that and times, connections etc...and then here you are! Ha Ha!
Is your hq there at Hobbie, or downtown? I ask cuz it would be a pleasure to meet another DGer in person while we are there around Thanksgiving? So glad you liked the article...it was really fun to write, and very close to my heart.
mwperry
Brandon, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2007
2:33 AM

Post #3880395

Islandshari, what profound insight you have into humanity!

I joined DG in 2002, but never took interest in it because of limited time. Since retiring, I re-subscribed several weeks ago, and, my goodness, an entire new world has opened up for me. I immediately connected to your words. You placed a name to what DGer's feel about one another. Exquisite! Martha
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

August 21, 2007
3:32 AM

Post #3880593

Martha, so pleased to hear your kind words! Welcome back! This is a world unto itself here in DG, but we are spreading our wings...gardeners make the best friends!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2007
1:49 AM

Post #3888528

HOW cool!...I've been away from DG because we've been working hard with Hurricanes and floods in the midwest.. I always vow...that one day I'll have a job that I don't have to care about what the weather is doing in anywhereville!
It would be great to visit while your here. Our headquarters is downtown, and if your interested, I'd be pleased to take you and your friends thru a tour of our headquarters. I work in System Operations Control Center...briefly it's like Nasa Mission Control, only 2,139 more vessels in the air...always a fine dance. On the floor I work on, the departments are aircraft routing , maintenance control, Crew Control, Dispatchers Load Planners (yours truly) Operations Managers and Customer service coordinators-- 24 hours every day of the year. The Houston Chronicle was just here - they wrote an article on how we prepare for the hurricanes and marveled at the great technology we have for tools..
okay..now back to plants...! LOL...
I live in the Heights, if your familiar with Houston...not too far from down town...I love it..come visit the garden too...hopefully it won't be too cold yet. I grew up in Liberia W. Africa, so my garden is modeled after the Jungle.

I did love the article..it is sooooooooo very true.
Rj
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

August 23, 2007
2:43 AM

Post #3888737

Randy it is so very nice of you to offer the tour...I just don't know how its going to work, though, because I don't know Houston at all! We will be there only for 6-8 hours on the 14th of November...meeting friends - they know the area - we do not. But if we can work it out I would love to meet another DG friend! If your garden is modeled after the jungle of Liberia you should come over to Tropical Gardening once in a while...we have some jungles there! Just spent the last week on himmicane Dean watch with some friends in the Caymans, so I can't even IMAGINE trying to do it for all those planes!

I have a dear, dear friend from Zambia, now a doctor in US. Loving plants and animals like I do, it is hard for me to understand leaving Africa, though from economic and political standpoints I guess I can. Daily I am reminded of how small a world it really truly is.
Yokwe,
Shari
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2007
2:59 PM

Post #3890283

I see, sort of a lay over...that is certainly a brief visit. Well the invitation is open should plans change, and who knows you might be back again.
Africa certainly was my inspiration! We lived far up country in Nimba county...it took 4 hours over a horrible semblence of a road we called the river bed. You know when you have arived to Yekepa, as a modern very mini city arises out of the bush with paved roads, mall, theatre..It is an Iron ore mining town, and all of the houses are identical, but very neat. We lived on the Lutheran missionary compound, and our back yard was literally the jungle. It was boy heaven! I remember I built my first garden and pond in Monrovia when I was in Junior High. Todays garden is more modeled after the worlds jungles, so have a bit of it all. It is amazing how similar the plants are in tropical places. I have visited from time to time on the tropicals, but this summer has left little time for computer, but the bright side of it is that I've had more physical visits and good times with local DG members.

Yes Africa can be a wonderful place to live. I've not been to Zambia, but rhyming-- our last residence in Africa was The Gambia. I pretty much visited the western countries, Senegal, Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone or whaterver they're callling it these days Ivory coast and Liberia..Liberians are the best people and I share frustrations with their recent history. Interestingly it was a catalyst for all of us kids who went to The American Cooperative School in Monrovia. We all still are in contact with one another, and have reunions frequently as most of us are in the states now. That bond is quite like the one you wrote about, as we are all from different countries..Pakistan, Lebanon, England, Africa, US, Australia, Canada, France...and when we're together reminiscing we are all oblivious to nationalities,,,because we all became Liberians long ago.

I'll send you a couple of pictures I just took.
Rj
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

August 23, 2007
9:15 PM

Post #3891660

Randy, if for no other reason I am glad I wrote the article because it helped me to meet you. Your life sounds full and fascinating. I can imagine those reunions are lively discussions indeed! Thanks so much for sharing that.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2007
10:01 PM

Post #3891850

Likewise!
I do hope your visit expands by 8 hours or so...:)
Do you have other articles to read?
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

August 23, 2007
10:05 PM

Post #3891862

I think there is a link to the other articles in each days article...the only other one I have published here so far is on orchids...but I would say that all the articles are wonderful...some just more pertinent to certain locations than others. Enjoy!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2007
11:04 PM

Post #3892035

oh good..I'll check out orchids...I noticed that 3 of my neglected orchids outside are blooming...I discovered that is the secret of all plants...ignore it...LOL
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

August 23, 2007
11:13 PM

Post #3892064

Too true!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Its a Small World After All Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Well said!! threegardeners 9 Aug 14, 2007 8:11 PM
It really is a grand garden here ! Dea 5 Aug 14, 2007 8:10 PM
...and it just got a little smaller... deltaqueen 6 Aug 19, 2007 6:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America