Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Handyman: Who else is living with a remodeling project?

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 2, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

MsMaati

MsMaati
Newburgh, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2007
1:59 PM

Post #3855621

Geeze, we have been working on a remodeling-addition since April. Stuff is accumulating and being shifted all over the place.

Would like to here from those of you who have or are having the same problems keeping the dirt down in the rest of the house and coping with the DH who wants to work himself to death trying to get it done fast.

We began in April removing the brick from the back of the house to recyle to the end.

Thumbnail by MsMaati
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lacewing121
Highland, IN

September 4, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #3937248

LOL, I don't have any projects in process now, but my parents had a "fixer upper" sort of house, and
I spent most of my childhood wandering around projects that were time consuming and very very tiresome after a while.

We put down wood chips on muddy areas. Extra entry rugs help, too. Mom would have butcher paper on hallways that lead to the outside. She'd put plastic clear sheets on furniture that she couldn't wash easily. If worse comes to worse, you could also insist that people take their shoes off beyond a certain point. I read elsewhere on this site that wood chips work wonders for dog paths, so they might work well for your "little" problem.

We also had a strict tack cloth policy, in that if you left the area that was being worked on, you tacked off first. We had a box of them at every entry to the construction area. You may wish to try two clear plastic sheets side-by-side in a hallway to keep too much airborne dirt from traveling deep into the house. That was something we used to attempt to keep plaster dust from traveling too far.

It wasn't perfect, but it was MUCH better than without. Of course, what we mostly had were inside projects, like drywall, plumbing, woodwork, new stairs, celing patches, and re-doing the entry way. I don't know if all these ideas will help with your situation, but they should give you someplace to start.

MsMaati

MsMaati
Newburgh, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2007
4:06 PM

Post #3954483

Thanks lacewing, I will try the tack cloths. Hubby wont take off shoes, says it takes to much time. (wears lace up steel toe shoes). Also will try for some wood chips on the slippery mudbanks.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America