Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poppies: Growing Poppies in Southeast Texas

Communities > Forums > Poppies
bookmark
Forum: PoppiesReplies: 1, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tomatomaniac
Conroe, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2007
7:26 PM

Post #3856728

I visited some friends this June in the UK and couldn't believe how extensively they just grow wild in virtually all the fields. This goes for both fields left fallow and even those that had been cultivated and planted. One of my friends in the West Midlands has sent me packages of various colours and flower confirmations, but I have been reluctant to waste them in my yard yet. However, I did buy a potted/flowering Icelandic Poppy at one of the local nurseries nearby and it did well until things started heating up by the end of May. It had several seed pods that I am told will allow them to self seed from year to year. I hope that one will, but it was so beautiful that I figure I will just go ahead and scatter the seeds that I have this Fall when things cool down.

My friend tells me that he thinks that they actually do better if you just scatter them in and amongst the grass along a fence line, or just about anywhere around other plants and shrubs. He says they should overwinter just fine, germinating in the Spring just fine.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2007
2:16 AM

Post #3938210

I have seen similar magnificent poppies in Italy, France, and Spain. I believe most of them are wild flowers that don't interfere with crops ( please correct me if I am wrong). I think they would work very well here, just sown on top the ground, but if and only if we have sufficient rainfall. I don't know what your rainfall is like, but where I am it usually takes extra water to get European plants to grow from seed. Haven't tried these magnificent poppies, but would like to.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America