Authentic Limoncello, Arancello & Liquore di Fragole recipes

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I wanted to start a thread devoted to these, so I wouldn't hijack the other threads I mentioned these on...

Here is a recipe for Limoncello:
AUTHENTIC ITALIAN LIMONCELLO

1 liter of Everclear
10 medium to large lemons(some recipes include one lime, also)
1 liters of water (6 1/3 cups)
3 lbs of sugar(6 1/2 cups)

Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush & hot water to remove any residue of pesticides or wax. Pat dry. Using a potato peeler, take all the lemon rind off of the lemons. Be very careful to not get any of the white pithe on the peels, or it will make it bitter. Place the rind-peelings in a large container(like a glass sun-tea jar) with the everclear. Cover the container and let sit for 7 days. On the 8th day, remove/strain the peels from the alcohol, & discard the peels.

In a large saucepan, make a simple syrup by combining the water & sugar. Let it simmer "fast" for 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature & add to the alcohol. Bottle and store in freezer.

*************************************************************************************************

For Arancello(orange-cello) substitute 10 large oranges for the lemons.

*************************************************************************************************
and here is the strawberry one:

***********************************************************************************************
AUTHENTIC ITALIAN LIQUORE DI FRAGOLE

2 pints strawberries(washed, hulled & halved)
1 quart everclear
4 cups water
2 cups sugar

Put the strawberries in a gallon glass jar. Pour in everclear and cover. Let sit for about 2 days in a dark cool place. Spin contents of the jar 4 or 5 times a day to mix. Strain and discard the strawberries. Combine sugar and water over medium flame, and heat until sugar becomes clear-do not boil. When syrup cools, add to the alcohol. Store several more days, then put in freezer.
******************************************************************************************************

I get the bottles at World Market/Cost Plus, the Container Store, Michaels craft store(the cork ones) & have been told to look at BigLots, also...

This is fun to make and they make really nice Christmas gifts, or stocking stuffers.
-T

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX

Now I wanted to start to share some of the recipes that I've found that include Limoncello.

These may take me a bit to type out, but I'll try to add several, and continue as I can...

Here is one that sounds divine: courtesy of Bailey's Chocolate Bar in St. Louis, MO:

************************************************************************************************
STRAWBERRY LEMONADE LIQUID DESSERT MARTINI

6 oz. strawberry sorbet
1 oz. Ketel One Citron Vodka
1 oz. Limoncello(homemade)
Powdered sugar for rim
Whole strawberry for garnish

Blend the ingredients in a blender until they reach the proper slushy consistency. Dampen the rim of a martini glass & place it upside down in a plate of powdered sugar. Pour the drink into the glass & perch a strawberry on the rim.
***************************************************************************************************

This message was edited May 18, 2009 9:46 AM

***************************************************************************************************
SIDE CAR MARTINI

1/2 cup sugar 4 ozs. Triple sec or Cointreau
1 lime, zested 4 ozs. Sweet & Sour mix
1 lime wedge 4 ozs. Limoncello
10 ozs. cognac 2 ozs. Lime juice

Chill 4 martini glasses. In a small shallow dish combine sugar & lime zest. Run the lime wedge around the rim of each glas & dip in sugar & zest mixture. In a cocktail shaker, mix the cognac, triple sec, sweet & sour mix, Limoncello, & lime juice over ice. Pour & serve.

GIADA'S LIMONCELLO MINT SPRITZERS
2 cups Limoncello muddle sticks(or wooden spoon handle)
coarsly crushed ice cubes 1 lime for garnish
1 cup fresh mint leaves
1 cup club soda

Coarsly crush the ice cubes, then fill 4 tall skinny drink glasses halfway full with ice.

Add 1/4 cup mint leaves to each glass & muddle the mint leaves together with ice.

Add 1/2 cup limoncello to each glass & stir.

Add 1/4 cup of club soda to the top of each drink & serve.

Quarter a lime and place on edge of glass.

***recipe courtesy of "Everday Italian w/ Giada De Laurentiis"***

(is it just me?...or does this sound very similar to a mojito, lol)

MELONCELLO

Yellow or pink cocktail sugar
1/2 oz. lemon-flavored light rum
I cup cubed seedless watermelon
3 1/2 ozs. Limoncello
Splash club soda
Ice cubes
Lemon wedge

Rim a rocks glass with the sugar, and put in freezer. Puree the watermelon cubes in a blender until juicy. Fill the prepped glass with ice. Add the watermelon juice, limoncello & rum. Top off with enough club soda to give the drink a light bubble. Garnish with lemon wedge.

This message was edited May 18, 2009 9:48 AM

LIMONCELLO ~ITALIAN SODA

1 1/2 OZ LIMONCELLO
Real cream
Club soda
Lemon twists

Pour limoncello into a highball glass filled with ice. Add a splash of real cream. Top off with club soda. Garnish with a lemon twist.

LEMON DROP MARTINI #2

1-1 oz. Absolut Citron Vodka
1-1 oz. Limoncello
2 oz. Sweet & Sour mix
1-1 oz. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. sugar

Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice cubes; shake well. Swirl half a lemon around the rim of a margarita glass & dip in sugar. Pour & serve.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

I went to the liquor store earlier this evening to ck if they carried everclear. Yes, $15 a fifth. wow, back in the days....it was like $3-4.

I had always heard how cheap everclear was, so I was a bit surprised, also. Still you don't want it to be too cheap, if you are making a gift..oh, well.

I'm interested to see how you like it, especially since you are doing the orange one, and I've not tried that one, yet.

I have a really good(really, really good!) recipe for an orange creamsicle/dreamsicle drink recipe. It calls for Cuarenta y Tres(Licor 43), but I'd imagine that arancello might be a good substitute...
-T

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

I'd really love to see the recipe for an orange creamsicle/dreamsicle drink!
Thanks for sharing all of these!
Ping

Hi Ping-
Thanks.
I've not added any recipes, because no one seemed interested, lol...

The dreamsicle/creamsicle recipe is only good if you truly follow the recipe exactly. I tried it once with a substitute and was extremely disappointed. That said, here it is:

(This makes a very small pitcher)

1 cup licor 43
1 cup Stoli Vanilla vodka
1 cup milk
2 cups orange juice
2 caps(or teaspoons) Adams brand vanilla extract

SO!! Gooood!!...just be sure no substitutions.
Let me know what you think once you try it, ok?
-T

Wilton, CA(Zone 9b)

seed-picker; these sound marvelous!
I'm going to start at the top and work my way down. Have to wait until next week, when I go back into down and get the "supplies".
when the lemon peel and everclear are sitting for 7 days, is that on the counter or in the refrigerator?

Sydney, Australia

Hey just because we don't comment ...it does not mean we are not interested ...so I just want to say thankyou! :) chrissy

Quoting:
is that on the counter or in the refrigerator?

On the counter...

...let me also add this: the recipe says finished on day 8, but let me warn you it will taste like lemon rocket fuel, if you don't let it "finish" just a bit longer(unless you are mixing it in a drink, that will dilute it so much you may not notice). Personally, I'd say it takes at least a full month longer to continue to meld and mellow.
A perfect example of this would be that I mailed a bottle to my father to try, and he said he liked it, but it was stout. He wanted to share some with his friends, so a few weeks later I mailed him a few more bottles.
He made the comment that "the second batch was SO much better than the first batch" and 'what had I done differently the second time'...he was surprised when I told him they were all from exactly the same batch; the only difference being that the second bottle he recieved had an entire month longer,aging time...
One web reference to making limoncello suggested making in the summer for gifting at Christmas-time. I would have to say I fully agree. The longer it sits, the smoother it gets.

Hi Chrissy!...Let me know if you try any of these, ok? I'm slowly trying some of them myself, but what I liked the very best so far, was just putting some in a pitcher of fresh-squeezed real lemonade...pure liquid sunshine!, lol...

Sydney, Australia

Shall do mate (Hick !)

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

these recipes sound ivine...but what is everclear?

Wilton, CA(Zone 9b)

pepple,
it's 95% pure alcohol. Very strong, but nearly tasteless.
jo
happy blending!

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

where can yu get it? at the liquor store?

Yes, you can get it at the liquor store.

If they don't have it, you can substitute, and use Vodka, but you will have to steep it for several months.
-T

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX

Ok...wanted to update this thread...

In one of the batches I made, I added just one lime peel, as one recipe had suggested...this in my opinion ruined it...I didn't like it. It is much better with just lemons.

Also, I now hardly consider a batch "finished" if it is not at least 6 months old, and one year is actually more like it...

I guess it is very much like wine...if you tasted wine just put into a bottle, you'd scrunch your face, and say yuk. Same with lemoncello. It really needs to cure.

Also, I really, really like lemons. I added more than that recipe called for... More like 12-14 lemons, instead of just 10. I think the batch with more lemons was the best. That is the one everyone tried and wanted the most of...

However, I was surprised at how many people like the Arancello even better than the lemon. Apparently most people said orange liquor went better with more deserts, so there you go. I still like the lemon, but if making for gifts, you may want to try orange, in addition, or even instead.

Also, I've been told by a person that lived in Italy, that the best fruit to use for limoncello is not even a lemon at all...they said citron...the Citrus medica 'Corsican' is the best. This is a fruit that has very little fleshy fruit inside, and a whole lot of pith, but it is the peel that is so important.

Apparently from what I've been told, and what I've read, it is sweet, twice as stong, fragrant, and nicer than lemons. The peel is the only part you use to make limoncello, so the inner fruit(or lack of it) isn't really all that important.
Now I'm on a hunt to find a citron 'corsica' to buy, so I can try the truly "authentic" limoncello :0)

And, by the way, if I haven't already mentioned this, the limoncello you can just buy in the liquor stores is disgusting...the only way to try real limoncello is to make your own. :0)

A really good limoncello should not taste like rocket fuel, or gastric acid. It should really just taste like sweet strong lemon concentrate, with a little kick. :0)

My favorite way to enjoy it is in freshly made lemonade(I make mine with a juicer...12 lemons, water, & 2 cups sugar), and most everyone else has told me they like it best over vanilla ice cream...

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks for these recipes seedpicker, I just caught up to this thread. Quite often I give homemade liquore spirits at Christmas.....Kahlua Under the Sink and Baileys. I'll try to get a batch of this started through the holidays (at least) and let it sit for several months or a full year. Then I can begin another batch and just rotate my stock, so to speak.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Seed, thanks for updating this thread with some vital information. I am going back to the states next month, I think i will make a couple of batches to give as presents for the holidays.

cheers

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh Taylor, can I be on your best friend Christmas present list? I need your SO lemon limoncello! So is limoncello interchangeable with lemoncello?

I have been making my lemon drops with Lemoncello Creme. I had no clue store bought was so bad. I liked it. So I so need your homemade kind to smarten me up!

Thumbnail by Kell
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

wow Taylor I am not much of a drinker but those sound good

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

when you shipped to your Dad was it completed with the syrup added?? Then store in freezer when received??

Also when left on counter for month is that still with the peels in it or removed?? Wouldn't want to kill anyone with a gift lol

Oh I am excited about making some of this for gifts and will include printed recipes too.

Pebble-
Some states sell grain alcohol, and others don't. If you can't find the Everclear grain alcohol, you can substitute vodka. Vodka gives it a little different taste, (which some actually prefer), but it takes twice as long to be "finished", because it is half as strong as everclear.

Also, you may want to check your airline rules, first. They will allow you to take some of this, but each one has its own limits of quantities. Last I checked(travelled at Christmas) you can bring a quart on the plane with you, and the rest has to be checked, but that was just the particular rule for the particular airline I used... you can check more than you can carry.

Kell-I would love to send you some, but last time I tried to mail this stuff, I was refused. I was told that all the major mail carriers now will not transport flammable liquid. (everclear is highly flammable). So, I think it may no longer be allowed to mail. UPS was the last I knew that still mailed it(less risk, because they stay on the ground), but I don't think they will any longer, either. All this started as a result of 911.

I argued with the guy, and told him it was no longer 90%, but more like wine...40%...big mistake, lol...then he just got into me "distributing" and alcoholic beverage, without a distributors license...I know it is legal to make this stuff for private use(you can't sell it) , and you can bring it on an airplane(at least currently) but, the mail carriers are just getting very strict.

Hubby said just go somewhere else and mail it, and not say anything, or mail smaller bottles, but I never did. It is just sitting here, waiting for my Dad's next visit, so he can legitimately take it on the plane with him. ;0)

You've got me interested in not only your brand, but your lemondrops! Is it a candy? Or, do you mean lemondrops, the drink? Lemondrops is my Dad's very favorite drink, and he gave me some favorite restaurants "secret recipe" :0) (if you want it...)

I would imagine your brand might be good, seeing it is imported from Italy. It may even be made from citron, instead of lemons :0) That is not the brand I tried that tasted like vomit...no kidding...tasted just like it. Last night we ate dinner at an Italian restaurant, and ordered a shot of limoncello(after updating this thread it was fresh in my mind), and it wasn't as bad as the original brand I tried, but my first thought was "pledge" furniture polish...I think it was caravella?

Yes they are interchangeable...lemoncello is kinda the american way to spell it, but limoncello is the correct, or more original way, to spell it.

here is a blog that I read years ago, when first wanting to try it. It is what gave me the courage to try some. I love intructions with pictures, lol
http://patty.vox.com/library/post/homemade-limoncello-when-life-gives-you-lemons.html

Donna-
I'm not really a big drinker, either, but when I do, I want something special. It is good for enjoying with company(and makes a nice conversation piece), and hot summer nights by the pool :0) From what I'm told, and have read, the Italians use it as an apertif(clean the palate between meal and desert).

There is another thread about homemade liquors, and one of them was Baileys, like you mentioned...I'll try to find and post that thread...I felt like I was hijaking it last year, so made this one, lol...
-T

Donna-
Here is the link with the other homemade liquors recipes:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/490412/

it is a fun thread to look over, if thinkng about making some

yum...limoncello cupcakes:
http://www.eddybles.com/limoncello-cupcakes/

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

what a fun thread

Hmmmmmmmm now wonder how I can send it as a gift???

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

This thread is making me miss Italy!

I am planning to make limoncello and other cordials as holiday gifts... Nice to see that others enjoy making their own as well.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Geesh! If only Lemons were not, almost, $1 a piece!!!! And, it calls for 14 of them!!!!
What's up with all the high prices on Lemons? At my stores--they are, like, 3/$2.!

Just a fun question---
After you zest all 14 or so Lemons for your Limoncello----WHAT will you do with the lemons themselves??? I wonder if you could freeze these "naked" lemons?????

I know what I would do! Squeeze out all the juice and freeze it in ice-cube trays and then bag it up in Zip-Bags.....for "other" uses......:o)

Gita

Gita-
I take the "naked" lemons and run them through the juicer, and make fresh lemondade. Then, I add some of last years' batch of limoncello!...yum!...as refreshing as any margarita :0)

Donna-I don't know...it has been a new dilema! I try to hand mine out in person, or travel with them...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Seed---YEAHHH???? I agree! Love fresh lemonade----BUT--NOT from 14 lemons at the same time! What do you need--like, maybe the juice from 2 or 3 for a half a gallon of water?

I DO NOT have any Limoncello!!!!! ...........:o(((

Don't think i will ever make it either-----I am, sort of, out of the party circuit by now.....Sure sounds yummy, though!
Any idea what a bottle of "Everclear" runs in a Liquor Store? Just in case I ever see a great deal on a bag of lemons.....Of course--I could always ask next time I go there.....

Gita

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks for posting the recipes Seedpicker. I too love lemons! Popped into Logees Greenhouse in Ct. and bought about 4 different types of lemon plants. (4" pots). Will take a while till I can use my own fruit for the recipes!

Oh crush me, Taylor. You are off my best friend list. LOL I need to get off my big tush and get to work. I think I will have a lemon drop (it is drink Taylor), tonight. I haven't had one in ages. I mix the lemoncello with

OK over an hour later. No lemoncello for me tonight. I got sidetracked into cooking.

OK now it is like 2 hours later. LOL. I had the best lemon drop ever at a restaurant called Le Bernardin in NYC. I still think of it with longing. Somehow they made it frothy.

Lemon is my favorite flavor. Do all you people who love lemon so much also love chocolate? I do not like chocolate that much and I have a theory that if you adore lemon you do not crave chocolate which is a totally different taste and feel in your mouth. Not clean and fresh like lemon.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

good idea to make lemonade with the lemons...duh....lol......have a lemonade party

kell, i adore lemons.......
when iwas growing up, the bazaar was at the end of the block, we would play in there, among the stalls, and my favorite was the lemon stall, i would always get one, and the seller would cut it in half and sprinkle salt on it, and i would eat and suck it and think i had died and gone to heaven.

i dont have that strong a craving for chocolate most of the times, but sometimes...oh lordy....do i need some.....

Gita-
yes, I use all twelve naked lemons. :0) I strain the juice that comes out of the juicer, (which ends up being about 2 cups),and then microwave 2 cups of wetted sugar(until disolved, so smooth and no gritty sugar stuck at the bottom of the pitcher), and then also juice and strain 2-4 quarts of strawberries. I like it plain, but hubby has to have the strawberries. :0)

I divide this into to pitchers, then use filtered water to dilute and add until it reaches the top of the pitchers. I make this every week...and YES, I have defninitely noticed lemons are a dollar EACH..ouch!

I don't remember what everclear costs... My husband picks it up for me, because we live in a "dry"(nothing stronger than beer and wine sold here) county, so he picks stuff up for me on occasion, when he is "in town". I know that everclear is considered "cheap" liquor, and I want to say the largest jug was $20 or less(about the same the lemons will cost you!, lol).

Bedouin-oh, so tell me what you bought!!...I've been on a citrus binge(which is getting hard, because we can no longer import citrus into Texas, and no one seems to sell anything anymore but meyer & key lime)...I recently got 'Eureka', Variegated Eureka, 'Lisbon', Ponderosa, ...and a Kimbrogh satsuma. I have a dear friend that picked them up for me in Houston and drove them to me for a visit.(wasn't that sweet?)

I already had several improved Meyer, A 'Mijo' satsuma, and a mexican, or "key" lime. I am still wanting the citrus medica 'Corsican', and the 'Genoa'.

Kell-oh, rats!...scrached off the "friend list", lol...ouch
(have you checked your email?)

I'm going to call my father today and ask him where he said he got that "best lemondrop" and have him give me the recipe. I think he gave it to me before, but I don't know where I put it...so what is your recipe?

Yes, I think you are onto something...I used to prefer chocolate, but now it is all lemon. If you set a lemon meringue pie and a chocolate cream pie out in front of me, I wouldn't hesitate to reach for the lemon.

Pebble-wow...I'd definitely have to say you like lemons the most!, lol...I don't think I could ever suck one straight, much less one with salt on it...

This message was edited Aug 26, 2008 6:18 AM

Here is a refreshing drink our waiter wrote down for us, at an Italian restaurant, the other night:

Pomegranate martini:
21/2 ozs absolut peach vodka
2 oz orange juice
3/4 oz. monin pomegranate syrup
1 oz sprite

And Pomegranates are so healthy for you. Sure can't go wrong there. LOL

Yes, find the lemon drop recipe! Please! I have googled for the one at Le Bernadin but no luck!

HI Kell-
good morning!

I just emailed my father(he's the same time zone as you~two hours earlier than me). I asked for the recipe and restaurant's name. My father says that lemondrops are his absolute favorite, and he considers himself a lemondrop connoisseur. He says this one is the very, very best one he's ever tried. He had to give a "padded handshake" to get the recipe :0)

I'll post it when he sends it. It may be late tonight, after he gets home to look it up in his scrapbook of recipes.

I think I'm going to get some more everclear today(time to start some new orange and lemon batches) and while I'm there, I'm think I'm going to ask for the lemoncello that you buy, so I can try it.
-T

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.