Photo by Melody

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 42 - Still no Rain!!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 100, Views: 552
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2007
12:40 PM

Post #3858891

We are continued from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/759068/

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2007
1:10 PM

Post #3858970

Dang, Dusty, you have great hearing!!

Ready to head out for grocery/errand day. It is partly cloudy so I hope it will keep the heat at bay for awhile.

BBL
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2007
1:11 PM

Post #3858971

I thought you did that on Thursdays????

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2007
1:19 PM

Post #3858996

Have you ladies been to Jungle Jims? You think Trader Joes is good...you'll need a LOT of time at Jungle Jims. It is truly an awesome place.

Cloudy here again today. Wish it would just go ahead and rain, rain, rain!

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2007
1:24 PM

Post #3859019

Dusty, usually Wednesday's, last week I had to do it on Thursday, as I took DMIL to the Dr. on Wednesday.
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2007
2:01 PM

Post #3859147

Where and what is Jungle Jims?
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2007
2:13 PM

Post #3859174

I'm confused as usual Bonnie... LOL

I haven't been there yet Joyce...Perhaps I should go now while I have no money from what I hear...LOL

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2007
2:39 PM

Post #3859293

Jungle Jims calls itself an "International Market". I have never been in a store anything like this one. They have every type of foreign food you could think of...they have cheeses from all over and liquor and beer from all over... I just can't describe it...look up junglejims.com and you'll see what I mean.

It's on Rt. 4 in Fairfield, really close to Hamilton. The address is 5440 Dixie Hwy, Fairfied, Ohio 45014

Well worth the trip just to see the place. Fresh fruit and veggies from all over...just amazing.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2007
3:09 PM

Post #3859422

Good morning everyone!
Love Jungle Jims! Love Trader Joes...what can I say???? LOL!
They are both interesting and neat places.
Sandy...love your morning glories!! I planted some too...and am sure I will be sorry next spring...lol! Will try the Preen thing.
Well, not sure what I am getting into today, other than some cleaning.
Looks like it will be a hot one, so sure won't do much outside.
Our fair starts this Friday...but we won't be going before Saturday or Sunday, when the kiddies can go with us.
My shopping day got changed too Bonnie. I always went on Fridays'...then my therapy is set up for Tues and Thurs...so now I go on Thurs...to avoid an extra trip. I kinda like it...not as busy!
Sounds like you all will be working soon! I'll just have to keep up the home front !
Well...off to get busy. Have a good one!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2007
4:33 PM

Post #3859731

I think some folks went to Jungle Jim's after the Cincy Roundup last year, didn't they? I'd love to see that place. Shoot, I'm excited about IKEA building in West Chester!

Well, I volunteered for a fundraiser thing my store's participating in. We're going to Easton Mall armed with six thermal boxes of coffee to hand out to people. I have to be at our store at 7:30am...Yawn. But I get a free t-shirt. LOL
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2007
4:40 PM

Post #3859751

They keep giving you T-shirts Kimberley, you are going to have a whole new wardrobe...LOL
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2007
4:42 PM

Post #3859756

I haven't been to Jungle Jims in years, but I loved it when I went! Probably a good thing it's so far from me...and Trader Joe's, too. Haven't been to one of those since I left CA. Didn't know they had them here--I used to buy a huge frozen cheesecake at the one in Sacramento. Yeah, good thing I don't live near one now. LOL
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #3859779

Yeah the TJ here is only 5 mins from me...and I'm having a hard time staying out of there... Jazzy created a monster with me...I had no clue they were here either until she told me... I remember them from CA too..
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

August 15, 2007
4:59 PM

Post #3859822

If it weren't for free tee shirts I wouldn't have anything to wear to the barn!

What does it take to buy a rain around here? Even the weeds are limp in the morning. Hubbie finally mowed the chickory yard this week. That was the only thing that was growing and considering it was waist high that should say how long it's been since the lawn at the house has been mowed.

Having a specific shopping day saves you a lot more money than running in the store all the time. I drive by a Kroger every afternoon and if I stop every time I'm out of something the weekly grocery bill runs way out of line. I try not to stop in anymore. It was $15-$30 for every time I stopped. Same with Wally World.

The two middle kids are getting ready to go back to school. I think I'm ready for a little peace and quiet. The older they get the more room they take up and trying to fix breakfast when there's 5 other people moving around in the kitchen is enough to make me scream some mornings.

Have a good one everybody and don't get too hot...
valrita

August 15, 2007
5:26 PM

Post #3859920

Trader Joe's is 5 minutes from Dayton? Where? I wanna go!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2007
5:27 PM

Post #3859925

Its in Kettering on Stroop by Shroyer...
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2007
5:41 PM

Post #3859977

Crash and I went yesterday. Ihad to go since I was out of olive oil. I can't bring myself to pay the prices that the regular groceries charge. Especially when their olive oil isn't as good!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2007
7:05 PM

Post #3860286

Oh Jazz...the olive oil they have at Jungle Jims...AND the hot sauces, you wouldn't believe it!

Trader Joes is in Town and Country, Dusty is right, but it's in between Shroyer and Far Hills (Rt 48), some people know Far Hills and not Shroyer, that's why I said that.

The easiest way to get to Jungle Jims if you're not familiar with the area is to take 275 W toward Indiana to Rt 4. Go north and it's a couple miles or so up on your right. They have a really good vegetarian area also. I keep trying to get my vegan SIL there, but she lives in VA and ME and she never wants to take the time to go when she's here. I know she would love it, heck she thinks Dorothy Lane Market is great!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2007
7:06 PM

Post #3860288

Meant to add this
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2007
7:11 PM

Post #3860298

My hubby worked at Dorothy Lane Market for years!! When we were young and had young kids, I would take the kids on the bus (I didn't have a car then!) up to eat lunch with him. He worked so many hours...that was the only way we got to see much of each other! I even took the bus to the dr up on Far Hills...and when he told me to go to the hospital...that I was in labor, I walked over to the store and told Dave we had to go!!! Many memories!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2007
7:13 PM

Post #3860309

And...he grew up across the road from Town and Country! Lived on Oakview Dr. :)) I still go to the dentist on Stroop Rd. Dr. Bean!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2007
7:17 PM

Post #3860319

Hey Marcy, did he work at the original on Far Hills, next to Bank One?
Come to think of it, when your kids were little, like mine, it was the ONLY DLM!

I worked at the Bank One on Far Hills across from Dorothy Lane Mkt., by Siebenthalers from 76 to 80.

Now, I can't drive past them without stopping for a loaf of Asiago Cheese Bread...oh my...

I was trying to add a copy of a Jungle Jims thing, but it's a PDF and won't let me add it. :(
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2007
7:23 PM

Post #3860339

Yep! It was the ONLY one! The good ole days...lol!!
And later I worked for Drs. Studebaker (father and son) at the Oakwood Eye Clinic on Far Hills.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2007
7:28 PM

Post #3860360

Have you driven down Aragon recently?

I haven't been there in years.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2007
7:34 PM

Post #3860377

No Joyce, I sure haven't. We haven't been down there for a long time either. My eldest son lives around Bellbrook, and we don't even often get down to see him! (he comes here instead!) Well, he is such a work-a-holic, he is mostly never home!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2007
8:15 PM

Post #3860525

Good afternoon folks, hate to break up your old home days, (don't have a clue about the area you are talking about). Got home from the grocery, and the errand thing around 1:00. DH was checking out water in the laundry room, which was by the washer, well, after he checked everything out, not the washer at all, but the water heater, so we will be spending our money for a new one. I am gonna check out that one that produces water on demand, rather than a tank. Tell me what they are called, so I can google it.

SIL and DMIL are not back from the Dr. appointment yet, the appointment was at 1:15, so I don't think it is good news. Hope to hear from them soon.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #3860631

Bonnie...just google 'tankless water heaters'. I have often thought those sounded good too. Sorry about your heater...always something huh?
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2007
9:08 PM

Post #3860707

They are terrific Bonnie.. I had one installed in my Bar in FL..I had to get the top end one to be sure I could get the water to 161 degrees for sanitizing the dishes, but it was worth it by far and I gained a whole closet for storage when the big 60 gal one was gone..
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2007
9:25 PM

Post #3860772

I love your blue MG's, Sandy! That's my fav color of them and I intend to find a good place for some eventually. Away for the beds of course so they won't be come a reseeding nightmare :~)

Lana
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2007
9:30 PM

Post #3860800

Thanks, and I will have a million, gozillion seeds if you like! They are Heavenly Blue.
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2007
12:51 AM

Post #3861571

I think they are also called on-demand or inline water heaters.. I would like to have that kind esp upstairs. In the winter it takes a while to get hot water upstairs
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2007
1:07 AM

Post #3861662

Well Mom and Dad's House sold... to Lee Cash ... sound familiar Dusty?
Bought and closed Aug 8 ... rehabbed and for rent last Saturday...

Won't go back...

Marcy we have a little more History... I knew I knew Dave from somewhere... I used to like on Kenwood off Stroop ... shopped at DLM all the time...
Susie Grobey and her Husband Rob lived w/ me for a time on Kenwood...

JJ's is TOPS!
If you haven't been there for a while... it's now a Village w/ it's own off-ramp on Rt 4...

Ric
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #3861836

Well daggone Ric! Another Dorothy Laner!!! LOL!! Ole Cal Maine would be proud of ya!!! We ran around with his son, Norman in our younger years. He worked there too. He is now the proud (and rich!) owner of DLM!! He was an only child I think.
When Dave worked there we actually got a discount on our groceries...every employee did. I doubt they still do that!! Cal WAS good to his employees...for sure. Got bonuses, etc. Of course the pay wasn't that great back then, but then ...prices weren't as bad on everything either.

Edited to say ...that's great on selling the house Ric.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2007 9:45 PM
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
2:19 AM

Post #3861968

Ric, great news on the house. I know the feeling, it is not home, so no need to go back.

We are researching the "on demand" water heaters, and DH will go tomorrow and purchase some kind. Guess we are lucky that we saw the water, and it is leaking, but we still have hot water. We have someone lined up to install it tomorrow. So we won't have to be without hot water for any time at all.

DMIL got good news. The delay in not hearing from them, was because they hooked her up to an IV to administer some meds, and it took an hour for that to run through. Her high platlet count is due to extreme iron deficiency. She will have to have thise IV treatments once a week for 4 weeks, then on meds after that. Of course since I didn't go with her, I don't know the particulars of what the IV meds are, and DSIL, an EMT at that, couldn't give me any information. If that had been my mother, I would have had all the info before they stuck any needle in her. So next week I will take her, and I will know all the details. I know a nurse in the office, and I may call and talk to her tomorrow.

Well, today's temps reached 105, and I don't even want to know what it was with the heat index. They officially declared the whole state of Kentucky in extreme drought. Jeesh, if they had called me, I could have told them that. My lawn/yard, is brown, and crunches when you walk across it. The only saving grace for the garden is DH has been watering it.

Speaking of garden, we had one row of corn that I was planning on getting tomorrow to put in the freezer, guess what, the garden thieves got it last night. Arrgh. If I have to sit up in that garden with a shot gun, somebody is gonna pay dearly for this. It makes me so da--ed mad. DH has worked his butt off, and the lowlife slime are getting all the rewards of his labor.

Well, gonna go before I cross some administrative policy lines.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
2:27 AM

Post #3862012

Oh, that is so awful! So sorry to hear that. I don't blame you for being so mad. Is there any way you can hide a video cam out there?
valrita

August 16, 2007
2:47 AM

Post #3862087

defoecat, this may sound mean, but have you thought about setting any traps? Oh, not one strong enough to chop off their foot but one that will put a hurtin' on them? Hee hee, how 'bout a small electric fence hidden among the garden goodies? Yeah, I know I'm a meanie but I hate a thief!
I really hope that you catch them soon!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
2:48 AM

Post #3862092

That is about the last thing in the garden. I picked the watermelons tonight, as I don't want them enjoying them too. I think we will just discontinue watering, and turn the garden over to the critters and the thieves.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2007
2:50 AM

Post #3862103

Sorry to hear about your MIL, Bonnie. She and your family are in our prayers. As for the thieves, any way you could borrow a video camera from someone? Would floodlights trained on the garden scare them off?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
2:52 AM

Post #3862112

velnita, I have had so many mean thoughts, it will take a month of Sundays to let me get right again. I have thought of electric fences, traps, shot guns, savage dogs, you name it I have thought it. I think we will just call it a gardening year, and let them have it.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
2:56 AM

Post #3862123

gardenwife, this garden is at what was formerly my DM's house. Since it is about 1/4 of a mile away, and everyone knows that the house is empty, while being renovated, it could be just about anybody. We still have that security system, and what is more, a security light that is on and operating. It is right on the road, and DH has had so many comments on how nice it was all year. Guess, someone has been admiring it from afar all these weeks, and decided that they wanted to partake of the "beautiful garden" without expending any labor.
valrita

August 16, 2007
3:19 AM

Post #3862224

Yes, it is probably best to take the high road and let it go. Let's hope that after a month of Sundays the disappointment will go and you'll be excited about what to plant next year.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2007
3:28 AM

Post #3862275

Hey Bro...The Vale Tennant is about to be moved...tell Lee...It will go cheap...Will make a good rental for him..

I'm meeting the realtor tomorrow at the Yellow house at 10 am...

Bonnie.. all I can say right now is, I am so sorry...

I'm not much in the mood to say anything more tonight...

Love and hugs to all the Family..

valrita

August 16, 2007
11:38 AM

Post #3862833

Good morning, folks!
What happened last night? I woke up this morning to wet gardens but some of my plants have toppled over. My dahlias, ornamental peppers, oregano, and even one of my coneflowers was laying on their sides. One of my annuals looks like it's taken a severe beating. Ouch. But at least it's rain.
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
11:48 AM

Post #3862846

Morning Velnita!! We really had some strong winds last night , the dog kept me up, he's a chicken, the thunder scares him. The first thing I did thish am was check the dahlias, thet took a beating but the stakes held them up, the dinner plates filled up with water and a couple broke, amazing how much water a flower can hol!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
12:33 PM

Post #3862985

Okay, Guys...not a drop here...:o(

GW, I meant to tell you yesterday and forgot. The new IKEA is within walking distance from my office...I am NOT looking forward to it! The traffic is already unbearable. I heard that at one IKEA opening, they still had to have police traffic control when it was 6 months old! ARRRGGGHHHH.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2007
12:54 PM

Post #3863035

We took a beating over here too...I have a heavy marble lamp on a table in the front window that got blown over...nothing broke thankfully...Front porch took a beating, but everything out back survived it okay...We got just enough rain to wet everything, but it was mostly some seriously strong winds...It blew my bedroom curtains across the bed... Kira was sleeping in a tent...LOL

Gonna finish my coffee and hit the shower..I gotta go pay my electric bill, get a small tub of drywall mud to finish the last of the backsplash in the kitchen, and meet my Realtor...If all the numbers work out right, I will hopefully have the key to the yellow house by the weekend..

Ric, I think you went to school with him...Tom Weaver.. His brother Jim was in Jims class...
I found Lee's phone # and I will be calling him today to let him know about Vale...Jay stopped by on his way home from work last night and asked for help with the house...amazing...

Have a good day y'all...

Hugggs
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2007
1:10 PM

Post #3863077

I haven't been outside yet.. it ran through here about 3am.. maybe I better go look hmmm
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
1:15 PM

Post #3863089

Good morning all! I've been a total slug since all the company left Monday; hoping my energy will return today. All went beautifully and the food was a big hit- every dish practically licked clean! Friends who were here for the first time were amazed that the gardens have only been in since May. Since I'm so bad about looking around and only focusing on what is'nt done yet, that felt really good :)

Besides watering and preparing dinner, the only thing I got accomplished yesterday was harvesting some seed from some of the heirloom annuals. If any of you would like seed from Nicotiana alata, N. sylvestris, Torenia fortunii, or Celosia 'Pink Candles' let me know; I'll have plenty.

Bonnie, how awful! So sorry to hear. Such an icky, violated feeling when strangers pilfer your space. I had a little house in Morehead (that I sold 10 years ago) that had a huge Asian pear tree at the front corner of the yard that was heavy with fruit every year. More than I could ever use or give away. One morning I was sitting on the front porch reading when a carload pulled over and started helping themselves to my fruit. They looked right at me and kept on picking, but never said a word to me! I even overheard one of them saying "see if that guy will help us"!! While I was happy to share the fruit, the audacity of helping themselves right in front of me without asking blew me away. I did'nt say anything, as they did not appear to have much (particularly lacking in social skills, LOL), and I did'nt want to deny fresh fruit to the children with them.

Dusty, I'm putting out that positive energy, envisioning you gardening in your new home! Best of luck!

Stay cool everyone!
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2007
1:27 PM

Post #3863128

Gemini..I would like some Celosia!! I have to go look up the other stuff.. :).. YOu know.. I am going ot gather some seeds on some of my plants this year and if anyoen wants some I am willing to share also. I Know I am collected seeds on the Blue Plumbago and the really tall Rudbeckia..umm that i cna't ever remember the name of.. um.. woodstrum?? Badseed?? help me!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
2:54 PM

Post #3863369

Herbstonne? LOL

Neal, please save me Nicotiana? I had some neat window boxes on the porch, all planned out and seeded/winter sown and covered with chicken wire. Apparently the dogs were not thrilled with my plan and tore them to shreds. LOL I got one sad little baccy plant. LOL

Had that been my fruit tree, I would have told them I charge .50/pound. LOL

Bonnie, I am afraid you really need to do something. It sounds like you either have more than one crook, someone over estimates just how Christian you might be, or if they keep getting away with little things, they may escalate to bigger things. Don't let your guard down with the veggies being gone. Or did you say they are stealing from two different houses?

Dusty, best of luck to you on the job and the house!

I've not been outside but I remember hubby saying he say lightning about 2am.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2007
3:23 PM

Post #3863452

Morning everyone. No Rain here! Just wind and lightning about 2 am.
It actually blew over a planter I have inside a bedroom window. Of course I had just watered it that day...need I say more??
Bonnie, I say...let them have it...they must be hungry...(or lazy)!! They will pay for it someday anyway...and you will be the good person!
Hi Neal. Glad to see you survived all the company!
Hey, I wouldn't mind having some of those Nicotiana seeds either.
None of my seeds are ready yet, but I will have LOTS of Cleome...pink and white both. Also some hollyhock seeds...and some phlox seeds ..if I can catch them!
Not sure what else...will have to look.
Well...nothing much happening here except another therapy day. Gosh I am tired of that...lol. But I guess it is helping. I can't wait to see if the built up shoe will help like they think it will. Should get that sometime around the first of the week. We shall see.
Ok...have to go fix lunch so Dave can go to work...and me to therapy and shopping. Have a good one all.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2007
3:39 PM

Post #3863507

Bonnie, I'd put a sign out there that says, "All you had to do was ask."

My water iris was toppled into the pond and one of the resin Adirondack chairs was on its side in the yard. After talking with my mom on the phone and reading your posts here, I realize we must have gotten some good gusts last night, too. We had the AC on yesterday and last night, so I didn't hear a thing.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
3:53 PM

Post #3863554

We didn't have any wind, lightening, thunder or rain. We are still bone dry.

The guy who is installing the water heater is coming at 1:00. DH went to get the heater this morning, and they don't keep any "on demand" heaters in stock, they have to be ordered, and takes about 10 days. If I had known 10 days ago that I was gonna need one, I would have ordered it. Sheesh, I can't wait 10 days with no hot water. So going from a tank to a tank. Big upgrade!!

I have been moving things in the laundry room, and cleaning behind everything, what a mess. But it will all be in good order after the installation.

Break is over, gotta get back to it.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2007
3:55 PM

Post #3863563

Can you get one elsewhere, Bonnie? What a bummer!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
4:18 PM

Post #3863612

Had to drag out the hose this morning--we didn't get a drop! Sorry to hear about everyone up north's plants getting hammered. How come there has to be "severe thunderstorms" --can't we just get "rain"??
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2007
6:00 PM

Post #3864009

Me too Renee`...Not enough here to quell the drooping...

I stopped at Dot's... Boneless chicken breasts on sale for $1.99 a pound again...I got 4 huge whole ones, and a medium sized pork roast to toss in the Nesco with red taters and carrots and onions...I got the drywall mud at Ace, and my lady gave me a bunch of plants they were going to toss...I don't know if I can save any of them, but the pots alone were worth it...

Thank you Neal dear...I appreciate the good thoughts...
I am sooo glad your weekend went well...You stressed for nothing... Typical worrywart host!!! LOL
I'd like to get in line for the Nicotiana seeds too please...I will be grateful for all I can get...I'm still hoping to be able to save some from my plants but I dunno how well they will do..They are still alive and blooming like crazy, but still not planted either...I am praying like mad that they will be this weekend...

I have a signed contract in hand, with no address on it yet... I still don't know if I'm getting the Yellow house or the Patterson house...I'm supposed to be getting a call from the sellers either today or tomorrow to let me know their decision... If I get the Patterson, I won't have as much sun there, so I'm not going to worry about more plants until I know what will live there...Right now, I don't care either way...One or the other is fine with me...Just so we can get out of here before cold weather...

Tom seems to think getting a key early for either house will be no problem, so I would be able to get with the program while I am still unemployed...That would be a blessing...

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2007
6:56 PM

Post #3864227

I'm excited for you, having two great prospects for a new home!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
7:02 PM

Post #3864258

DH went to Lowes and Home Depot and neither of them had the "on demand" water heaters in stock. I really wanted one, but if I am without hot water, any kind of heater will do.

Have an arts guild meeting tonight, so have to have supper early in order for me to get there. Right now, I have no water at all, so if I run into a time thing, it may have to be take out.

Gemini, I would be interested in the Niotina seed also, if you have plenty.
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2007
7:33 PM

Post #3864419

Yay, Dusty! Sounds like you're finally getting somewhere with the house buying. Geez, as bad as the house market is right now you'd think sellers and realtors would be jumping thru hoops to sell. Wish I lived closer, we could have a DG moving party and get all your stuff packed/moved in no time :~)

Bonnie, on Kimberly's sign suggestion you might add "THIEVES" before the rest of the message so they would get it loud and clear!

Yikes! It's 102 here right now without heat index. At least the humidity is low. I can at least breathe when I walk outside. The a/c keeps running and running though I have it set on 80.

I was awake all night anxious about my interview today. At 6am the wind started. It didn't start gently and build it just suddenly was blowing the blinds out away from the window. There were a few drops of rain then the wind stopped and that was it :~( I think my interview went well, feel confident with my answers to their questions anyway. Felt like they liked me. They had some more interviews to do and they should be contacting everyone with an answer early next week. Brian has been going thru testing trying to get on at the toyota production plant in town just 15 minutes away. He tested again Tuesday and found out yesterday he wasn't chosen to go on to the next level of testing. It's their loss as he's the kind of employee every company dreams of having; never misses work, is always early for work, works well with others, is an excellent trainer, honest and hardworking. I'm a little biased but everything I said is the truth ;~) He's kinda disappointed but then not because he loves what he's doing. Toyota just would have been almost double the money with awesome benefits and retirement...sigh.

Here's a pic of the new bog. Brian got it finished and the lotus planted about 6 weeks ago. The lotus was planted all the way in the back of the bog and in that short period of time has run all the way to the front and all sides of the bog. I can't wait to see it next year, it's going to be a monster!

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
7:38 PM

Post #3864439

What color is your nicotiana, Neal? I have some really pretty purple that are ready to give me some seeds.
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2007
7:38 PM

Post #3864440

Oh, I forgot. Neal, I would love some nicotiana and celosia seeds. Will have to see what seeds I can gather. I don't usually save my seeds. Glad you had a good visit with your friends and that your garden was admired. It makes you feel all warm and fuzzy doesn't it! LOL

Lana

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
7:42 PM

Post #3864462

Lana, your lotus looks awesome! I have a momo batan, do you know what yours is? Mine is in a pot in the pond, looks like I'd be sorry if I let it loose!
I've had 4 blooms this year, and it was an end of season purchase at Berns last year. So I'm pretty happy with that.
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2007
8:05 PM

Post #3864600

Thanks, Joyce, I don't know the name of this one but it gets huge. Those leaves are nothing compared to the size they'll be when it gets established. I have a Momo Botan also but it didn't bloom this year. My heaviest blooming pot of Momo went to Chele at the RU. Chele, did your lotus bloom this year? I think I fed mine too late. Will be on top of that next spring.

Lana

Here's a pic of all the blooms I had this week. There were at least 10 this one day. I couldn't get them all in the pic :~)

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2007
8:08 PM

Post #3864615

Lana.. is that a bog filter to the back of the pond? I want to put in a pond with a bog filter
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2007
8:28 PM

Post #3864706

WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! I Wannnnnna POND!!!!!!
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2007
9:08 PM

Post #3864867

I guess the bog will filter once we get the water running thru it properly but right now our main filtering is done with water hyacinths and other plants with a little help from a 5 gal bucket with holes drilled in the bottom, filled with pillow stuffing, the water that's pumped up into the plant pond filters down thru the stuffing and into the plant pond. Then it makes it's way thru the roots of the hyacinth, the valeria and anacharis growing under water then goes over the waterfall and back to the pond.

Here's a pic of the plant pond with all the hyacinth, the bucket filter is out of the pic to the left hidden behind a fern and bulrush. In front of the hyacinth you can see val under the water. The val is rooted into the muck in the bottom of the plant pond and loving it.

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2007
9:10 PM

Post #3864870

How does that whole process work with the hyacinths and the bucket? How is it different than a bog filter? I need to learn this stuff.
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2007
9:28 PM

Post #3864938

Well the bucket is just to catch floating particles in the water to make it more clear. The hyacinths roots pull excess nutrients out of the water caused by fish waste and decaying matter(leaves and such)and use those nutrients to flourish. Some waste water systems use hyacinths to help clean human waste water. Since the hyacinths, and other plants, pull the nutrients out of the water you have less algae growth because there are fewer nutrients for it to feed on. In turn you have clear water and happy plants/fish. Also, beneficial bacteria cling to the roots and also help break down nutrients in the water.

Here's a pond inhabitant.

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
11:03 PM

Post #3865267

Nice size froggy!

How many hyacinths did you start with? They sure do look healthy.

Did your plants from TWG ever do anything?

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2007
12:19 AM

Post #3865491

Hey Neal,

Do you know what celosia this is?

Thumbnail by joycet

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2007
12:45 AM

Post #3865570

Didn't know all that about hyacinths--thanks for the valuable info, WV, I will have to get some for our pond! I can't believe that frog stayed there for you to get his picture--cute!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2007
12:55 AM

Post #3865609

Miz Lana, When I get one or the other of my new houses, I will have Guest room and fenced yards..You and Mr Hunky Brian will have to come and spend the weekend...Help me lay out my ponds...I promise to hide the shovels...You are not allowed to visit without Paris & Annie however...Kira will be glad to see to see them, and the other girls will welcome them...

IF I get the yellow house... Guess what I found buried under the grasses and Bears tails today!!!!! About a gazillion Hens and Chicks...and I DO mean a gazillion!! They are not the pretty fuzzy ones like I got from Jazzy at the RU, but the Mommas are about 3-5 inches across, and the Chicks are packed tight and trailing down the timbers in the front of that raised bed..

There are some huge Bear tail plants I am going to want rid of...But they can maybe wait till spring...unless I can con my Bro Ric into coming after them... ;-)) Yellow house has a huge bunch of Poke weed...thankfully most of it is by the fence on one side...and my round-up jug is fresh..I may want to just spray that whole bed...Somebody has sprayed since I was there last and got the weeds and grass along the one fence and next to the house so that helps alot...

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2007
1:08 AM

Post #3865681

Wow, I didn't know celosia got that tall - that's a gorgeous one, Joycet.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2007
1:57 AM

Post #3865941

Kimberly, I have celosia from about 6 inches high to about 3 1/2 feet tall. I have a gazillion seeds already, and can save anyone who want them some from this years crop. Who ever suggested the preen to kill off the unwanted seeds, that is a good idea. I have a few volunteers this spring, but not as many as I usually do.

WVDaisy, you are gonna have to give us "pond lessons" I want one also, and DH is digging in his heels, so that makes me all the more determined. LOL

Dusty, change the title of this thread, we actually had rain this afternoon, a whopping inch, but it had some hail thrown in for good measure. Some winds, too. Tomorrow's first thing job is skimming the pool, as it caught quite a few leaves. The temps went from 105 to 73 in about an hour and a half. May get the luxury of turning off the AC tonight. Hope that it is pleasant to work outside in the morning, and not turn to a steam bath.

Got the new water heater put in, and had hot water to wash the dishes and do a load of laundry after supper. Had an arts guild meeting tonight. We are having a huge show and sale on September 8th, and I got to get cracking. 2 huge shows in November and another one the first week of December. Sure hope that I have good sales, and that I can earn my Christmas money from this.

Rambled enough, might bbl.
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2007
4:02 AM

Post #3866361

Brian the girls and I would love to come visit, Dusty! I love designing ponds though don't know how good I am at it. Our pond had lots of mom's and Brian's input. There's always good info on the Water Garden Forum, too. We got rain! Don't know how much but it was a bunch. Finally! I'll try to get out and weed tomorrow.

Joyce, my mom overwintered a bathtub full of hyacinth in her greenhouse so that's what I had to start with this spring. We've pulled hyacinth out of the plant pond twice to throw in the main pond for shade. When we finally get our greenhouse set up here I'll be overwintering more than that.

Lana
SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 17, 2007
6:23 AM

Post #3866630

joycet, Your Celosia is "Pink Flamingo".

Just lurking here again...lol

Donna
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

August 17, 2007
12:16 PM

Post #3866917

Bonnie, I thought it looked like it could rain to the north yesterday. With the exception of about a half an hour we never stopped picking tomatoes at Finchville. Ended up with a tenth of an inch there. Waddy never go a drop. The weeds are still wilted. The 30 degree drop in temperature was welcome yesterday afternoon though.

My grandfathere used to have a row of cockcomb across his garden each year. It always looked so wonderful this time of year. I'd planned to grow some this year but with it as dry as it's been I never got the seed in the ground. Hopefully next year...

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2007
12:42 PM

Post #3866984

Good Morning y'all...

Just popping in to say hiya...I'm out the door for a marathon day at the VA Starting with labs at 9:30 and ending with Opthamology at 1pm..
Kira is going and she and I will go visit the 9th floor hospice, and the 5th floor Physical Rehab...

Y'all have a great day!!

Huggs
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2007
12:51 PM

Post #3867004

You, too, Dusty!

Howie said he'd like to have a yard sale sometime in the next few weeks before we leave for the Kentucky Roundup (September 14-16!!). We're going to sell two of our TV's since our desktop computer has a tuner card and we really don't watch TV in the bedroom. I will also advertise that I have Breyer model horses from the 60's and 70's, so collectors come by and I may sell them for a decent amount, comparable to what I'd get on eBay.

So...If I get the basement cleared out, I intend to have grow lights and start some plants from seed this winter. I've missed that so much! I want lots of annuals next year. It's been great having the containers of annuals to move around the garden when areas need some color, but I really would like to have them in the ground, too.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2007
1:02 PM

Post #3867051

Dang. Lost another long one...

Can't change the title yet, Bonnie...still no rain for me! =o( It was still mid 70's at 6:00 this morning. I'm hoping for some cooler weather and less humidity for this weekend.

Thanks, Socal for the ID on the celosia. It got taller than it's ever been this year and they're all volunteers for about 3 years now. It's probably a good 5 feet tall. It could be that awesome horse manure it got this year! I'll have seeds from that, too, if anyone wants some.

Dusty, you and Kira have a wonderful time and good luck to Jim. I got my bacon yesterday, so I'm looking forward to some yummy BLT sammys this weekend.

Tonight is Nana/Granddaughter night out. We're going to LaComedia to see ummmmm...Wizard of Oz, I think. Jordyn is 13 and Bryn is 8. They both can eat their fair share, too! Next year, Emma will be 6 and she'll get to go with us. Then they'll spend the night and Papaw will take us all to breakfast! Memories in the making...

Hope you all have a wonderful day.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2007
1:07 PM

Post #3867066

joycet, I love that celosia! One that I grew was supposed to be Pink Flamingo, but after seeing yours I believe they may have cross-pollinated. I'd love some seed from those too! These I'm growing are wine red and have narrower bloom spikes.

I've got plenty of seed for everyone of the Nicotianas. Such a satisfying plant to gather seed from; those pods are like little pitchers and I just pour the seed into a packet. N.alata is white and shades of lavender, but in Plantfiles only white are shown. N.sylvestris is tall and has long, white, tubular blooms. I really want some of the red/pink shades of the shorter bedding variety and those gorgeous lime green ones.

Chele, Wintersowing your window boxes sounds like a promising idea! A friend of mine wintersowed in large tubs and troughs and had a jungle of hollyhocks, bells of Ireland, and various annuals.

Lana, your bog is wonderful! Your design has a lovely, natural look and feel. Have you ever saved seed from Lotus? A fellow came into the flower shop I was working at one time selling lotus pods from his pond and said he'd started them by simply tossing gathered seed into the pond. It was probably a wild variety and easier to propagate.

Oh, forgot to mention I also gathered seed from Torenia fortunii, which I have LOVED this summer. Do any of y'all grow them? Little troopers have bloomed constantly in shade and are'nt as water sensitive as impatiens. I found them very easy to start indoors. These are mixed colors, shades of pink, magenta, blue, and purple markings on white. I'm separating the colors in the seed as an experiment; they may all be cross pollinated and end up being mixed no matter what, but its worth a try.

Have a great day all!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2007
1:20 PM

Post #3867105

Hi Neal, I'll definitely save some seed for you. I would like some of yours, too and some of well...everything you offered!

I was looking at my lotus the other day and saw that one of the pods was open and the seed was sitting there in the pod. I didn't do anything with it then. The lotus fell over in the pond from all the wind the other night, it will be interesting to see if anything tries to root.

I had a volunteer nicotiana of that lime green, I have no idea where it came from because I have never planted it. It volunteered in the impatient bed in the shade. It's kind of scrawny, but if I get any seeds from it, I will save those for you, too.

Dusty, what is Bear tails? (I didn't think bears had tails... ;o)

I have some Bears Breeches that have never bloomed. The acanthus leaves are beautiful, but the reason I bought it in the first place was because the spike of blooms was so awesome. My leaves don't have any stickers on them, do you think I might have something other than acanthus?
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2007
1:37 PM

Post #3867144

Ooohhh, I've always wanted to grow acanthus, but don't believe I've seen it in person (...or would that be 'in plant'?LOL). How long has it been in the ground? I think I've read they take a year or two to settle in before they start blooming. Do you know which species you have? I'll keep my fingers crossed on seed from the green nicotiana!

Marcy, I forgot to mention I'd love some white cleome seed! Self sowing annuals are among my favorites in the cottage garden.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2007
1:38 PM

Post #3867149

What, they have no tails, but they wear breeches? LOL

I've had nicotiana seed all over our yard. There's some very thick, sturdy plants popping up as well as some smaller leaved ones. It's interesting to see what all comes up. At least I recognize its seedlings and leave them be, for sure! :)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2007
1:57 PM

Post #3867211

Good morning, I have been out and deleafed the pool, and pulled a bunch of weeds. The rain made it much easier to pull them, and the cooler temps allowed me to do that.

Got a lot of computer activity to do today, so will probably start right now.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2007
2:03 PM

Post #3867227

The original plant is 4 years old. Planted in the shade. So last year, I thought, maybe it needs more sun than it's getting, so I moved the whole thing to morning sun. Well, the plant that I thought I'd moved came back bigger and better than ever in the shade and the one I moved to the morning sun came back too. Neither of them have bloomed. If we have an RU, I'll bring you some. I don't know what species it is. I got it from ...oh shoot, I forget the name. That tree place in South Lebanon that has so much neat reasonable stuff. Do you know the place I'm talking about?

I planted all colors of cleome several years ago. They came up EVERYWHERE the next year!!!! So after giving many, many away and warning everyone that took them, I have not planted them again... I STILL have volunteers come up. I let a few bloom once and then yank them out before they go to seed. My neighbor has a purple if you all would like some of that color also.

Good one Kim... ;o)
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2007
2:43 PM

Post #3867339

Thanks Joyce! That would be awesome! I'm not familiar with the source you mentioned, but then, I don't get out much, LOL. Sounds like your plant should be blooming, I wonder if some triple phosphate would help?

Strange thing I've had occur with cleome; tons of volunteers for several years in a row, then practically disappear. Anyone else seen this happen? When the seedlings show up I just scratch out or mulch over most and leave some of them where I want them.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2007
2:46 PM

Post #3867347

Mine were coming up in cracks in the driveway!

Beautiful flowers...I'll admire from afar! ;o)

I think the name of that place is Ecoscapes. Not positive though, I should google it.

I may try the triple phospate. Think that would help my one bloom Endless Summer and my NO bloom Endless Summer?????
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2007
3:12 PM

Post #3867426

Good morning everyone! Well it IS cooler here today...I DO like that. But guess I will have to water once again!
Hi Neal. I will definitely save you some white cleome seed. And yes, I know what you mean about the cleome dying out. It's kinda strange...one or two yrs they are everywhere ...then...next to none. I do find if I just let the seed go where it will, they seem to come up better? Weird...but then...all I have to do is pull out the ones I don't want.
Joyce, I have bears breeches too. This is the 2nd year for mine, and while the plant has gotten much bigger this year...no blooms yet. Ok..maybe the 3rd yr is a charm??? Oh...and mine does have little sharpy things on the ends of the leaves.
And I wouldn't mind having some of that celosia from both you, Joyce, and Neal.
And I will have datura seeds for anyone that wants them...white only...single bloom.
Joyce...sounds like fun with the GD's tonight. Tomorrow, my GD and GS are coming...and we are taking them to the Darke Co. fair. We do this every year. They have so much fun. Ashley is old enough and small enough to go on the little rides with Dawson. So all we have to do is watch...lol! It's lots of fun! Then they will spend the night.
Their mom and dad have to go out of town and won't be home till Sunday. By that time I should be totally worn out...hahahaha...and grandpa too!

Edited to say...How long does it take lotus to bloom? Lou (dispatcher) gave me some at the round up. I have them in a big tub of water, and they look great...but no blooms. When I planted them, I used dried cow manure with them, but have not fertilized any further. What's the secret???? More time??

This message was edited Aug 17, 2007 11:15 AM

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2007
3:50 PM

Post #3867553

I'm sure Lana will have much more info on the lotus question than I do, I haven't had all that much luck with the 3 that I've had. Two have died, and this one is doing well, but knock on wood, if you know what I mean. I know they take a LOT of fertilizing and that they don't like their roots disturbed once they start blooming.

I'll save you some celosia seeds. :o) Do you want some of that purple cleome?

It looks like you'll have nice weather for the fair. That always makes a big difference.

I remember the name of that tree place now, it's Earthscapes and it's in Loveland on 48, not South Lebanon. They grow a lot of native trees and if you don't mind going small to start you can get them for a song. It's in Dave's files.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2007
5:13 PM

Post #3867833

Thanks on the celosia seeds, Joyce. And thanks on the purple cleome seeds, but I have purple too. I just tend to call the pink and purple the same thing...lol. I have never been to that place...will have to look it up. Sounds interesting.
Well...the fair just started today...I'm sure it will get around to raining sometime during the next week...it always does! Now...If it doesn't rain during the fair...then we KNOW we have a drought for sure!!! LOL!!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2007
5:34 PM

Post #3867889

No rain here in northern KY--just a lot of noise and wind. Had to drag the hose around this morning! I saw on the weather report that we're in the "severe draught" zone. I've even been watering the two trees that hold up our hammock, 'cause we sure don't want to lose those! LOL
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #3868504

I finally watered today, did a little fertilizing, too. Oh, that reminds me, I need to turn off the soaker hose on the veggie garden!

Okay, that's done. Fast, huh? ;)

Today I stopped by a local feed mill on my way home. They have a nice little aquarium fish section inside their store. I bought a few tropical fish for our tank, along with a blue lobster (I think it's this kind: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1641&N=0 but mine was under $9!).

While there, I was oggling the oranda and fantail goldfish, too. They have such healthy fish and are very reasonably priced! I pined over those pretty goldies and wished we had a second 55g tank to put some in. Ah, well.

On my way home, I saw a sign pointing to a garage sale aound the corner. Guess what was sitting on a stand in their front with sign saying "Make an offer"?

My best offer was the $20 bill I had in my wallet...And they took it!

I think it was a total God THANG. =) I just need to get a lid/light, filter and some gravel, and we'll be good to go. I hope someone one Freecycle will have some of that stuff.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2007 4:47 PM

Thumbnail by gardenwife

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2007
8:53 PM

Post #3868528

well if you decide to get a filter at the pet store I just got one where the entire thing drops downiside the tank and it is sooo quiet!! I love it!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #3868672

I have a Whisper power filter on our tropical tank and it is silent; I just love it. We have an under gravel filter on that tank, but I don't think I'll use one on the goldfish tank since they are such dirty fish, real poopers. LOL
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2007
10:02 PM

Post #3868784

I have a small aquarium with gold fish, and the filter is so noisy. Educate me on the in tank ones. The only reason I have this at all is DGD. She just visits the fish!!

Had 12 pints of roasted tomato sauce this afternoon, and 10 pints of pickles. So I am done for the day. No, I need to go out and vacuum the pool, and sweep it down.

So be back later.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2007
10:08 PM

Post #3868801

What size is your aquarium, Bonnie? I suspect yours is an under gravel filter with an external air pump that bubbles in the tank, right? The kind of filter I use is here: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3635400 It pulls water up through the tube, through the filter media, and makes a little waterfall going back into the tank. They do a great job and the filters are easy to replace.

I'm off to scrapbook -- pizza crop tonight until midnight. Then I turn back into a pumpkin. see y'all later! :)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2007
10:16 PM

Post #3868829

Finally home from the VA...Thank Heavens I took the big igloo full of iced water for Kira...She and I had a blast in between shifting Jim from appt to appt...Some of the nurses helped me take 4 of the ReHab boys down to the big yard to play with her...we did Frisbee and tennis balls...She decided to investigate Dr Campbell as she was heading to the parking lot...One call and signal and she was at my side...She was magnificent...Security has now issued her own Volunteer ID badge with her pic on it to clip on her TDI collar...I was sooooo proud of her!!! BTW... She is Listed as ARMY VETERAN!!! LOL

One boy is being discharged tomorrow.. He is missing both legs up to the hip and his left arm...But he can pinch the dickens out of a nursies hinnie with his new prosthetic hook...including Mine!!! ROFLLL
We were all smoking and he holds his Cig in his hook...I told him he looked like Greta Garbo...Got pinched for my efforts.. LOL

Jim is getting new glasses as well as the double hearing aids they ordered Saturday...His blood is up and doing good, and we saw his Prime Care and I got some meds organized...When his Coumadin Nurse Practitioner saw him today the first thing out of her mouth was, **Are you feeling okay???*** I told her NO he wasnt.. I said Look at him... and she said I AM.. He looks like HE** double toothpicks!!
The med the new Cardio put him on, was one I was concerned about... They had him on it after his sextuple bypass and it dropped his heartrate to below 60...He may as well be dead...His color is VERY grey, so she insisted they Gurney him down to the ER to be evaluated immediately...Shore enuff...they pulled him off of it immediately...His heartrate today, even with the exertion was 42..NOT GOOD!! Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!
He maintains in the 70's and with heavy exertion, 80's and that's fine...

I took Jim to finally see the Yellow house in person on the way home...
When we got home, we had a message from the Realtor...Sellers have accepted my purchase offer and agreement, but they want $50 a month more on the payment...Soooo, I need y'all to go into high gear on the job prayers...If I don't get work soon, we will be out in the street for sure if I sign those papers this weekend...This is really a scarey endeavor..

I was in tears last night...I got an Email offering me a job...Problem is... They want me to relocate to Louisvile, KY...They have a yard here in Xenia, which is what I applied for, but they feel I would be best utilized down there...I was just sick...
And Nooo they don't pay for relocation...so Not gonna happen...

I am taking the night off...Salad for dins with grilled cheese sammys..
I am exhausted from this emotional day...

Huggggers

This message was edited Aug 17, 2007 6:20 PM
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #3869050

((((Dusty))))

Bonnie the brand is a Fluval and i have it in my goldfsh tank. I had a penguin before and it kept gumming up or stopping and was noisy. I am really liking this one..it has a little thingy to show when it needs changed. I may change my tune when I have to change it but so far it's a winner
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2007
12:00 AM

Post #3869132

Dusty, so glad to hear your DH is off that medicine that had his heart rate so slow! Scary! And sorry to hear the job offer didn't go right. That stinks! I mean, if you wanted to work way down in Louisville, you would have applied there--those idjits!

That's so cool that Kira has her own photo ID, and even has veteran status!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #3869491

GOTCHA BONNIE!!!!

We are continued to here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/761060/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America