Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 42 - Still no Rain!!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

We are continued from here.... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/759068/

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Dang, Dusty, you have great hearing!!

Ready to head out for grocery/errand day. It is partly cloudy so I hope it will keep the heat at bay for awhile.

BBL

I thought you did that on Thursdays????

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Have you ladies been to Jungle Jims? You think Trader Joes is good...you'll need a LOT of time at Jungle Jims. It is truly an awesome place.

Cloudy here again today. Wish it would just go ahead and rain, rain, rain!

Dusty, usually Wednesday's, last week I had to do it on Thursday, as I took DMIL to the Dr. on Wednesday.

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Where and what is Jungle Jims?

I'm confused as usual Bonnie... LOL

I haven't been there yet Joyce...Perhaps I should go now while I have no money from what I hear....LOL

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Jungle Jims calls itself an "International Market". I have never been in a store anything like this one. They have every type of foreign food you could think of...they have cheeses from all over and liquor and beer from all over... I just can't describe it...look up junglejims.com and you'll see what I mean.

It's on Rt. 4 in Fairfield, really close to Hamilton. The address is 5440 Dixie Hwy, Fairfied, Ohio 45014

Well worth the trip just to see the place. Fresh fruit and veggies from all over...just amazing.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone!
Love Jungle Jims! Love Trader Joes...what can I say???? LOL!
They are both interesting and neat places.
Sandy....love your morning glories!! I planted some too...and am sure I will be sorry next spring...lol! Will try the Preen thing.
Well, not sure what I am getting into today, other than some cleaning.
Looks like it will be a hot one, so sure won't do much outside.
Our fair starts this Friday...but we won't be going before Saturday or Sunday, when the kiddies can go with us.
My shopping day got changed too Bonnie. I always went on Fridays'...then my therapy is set up for Tues and Thurs...so now I go on Thurs...to avoid an extra trip. I kinda like it...not as busy!
Sounds like you all will be working soon! I'll just have to keep up the home front !
Well...off to get busy. Have a good one!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I think some folks went to Jungle Jim's after the Cincy Roundup last year, didn't they? I'd love to see that place. Shoot, I'm excited about IKEA building in West Chester!

Well, I volunteered for a fundraiser thing my store's participating in. We're going to Easton Mall armed with six thermal boxes of coffee to hand out to people. I have to be at our store at 7:30am...Yawn. But I get a free t-shirt. LOL

They keep giving you T-shirts Kimberley, you are going to have a whole new wardrobe...LOL

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

I haven't been to Jungle Jims in years, but I loved it when I went! Probably a good thing it's so far from me...and Trader Joe's, too. Haven't been to one of those since I left CA. Didn't know they had them here--I used to buy a huge frozen cheesecake at the one in Sacramento. Yeah, good thing I don't live near one now. LOL

Yeah the TJ here is only 5 mins from me...and I'm having a hard time staying out of there... Jazzy created a monster with me...I had no clue they were here either until she told me... I remember them from CA too..

Waddy, KY

If it weren't for free tee shirts I wouldn't have anything to wear to the barn!

What does it take to buy a rain around here? Even the weeds are limp in the morning. Hubbie finally mowed the chickory yard this week. That was the only thing that was growing and considering it was waist high that should say how long it's been since the lawn at the house has been mowed.

Having a specific shopping day saves you a lot more money than running in the store all the time. I drive by a Kroger every afternoon and if I stop every time I'm out of something the weekly grocery bill runs way out of line. I try not to stop in anymore. It was $15-$30 for every time I stopped. Same with Wally World.

The two middle kids are getting ready to go back to school. I think I'm ready for a little peace and quiet. The older they get the more room they take up and trying to fix breakfast when there's 5 other people moving around in the kitchen is enough to make me scream some mornings.

Have a good one everybody and don't get too hot.....

Trader Joe's is 5 minutes from Dayton? Where? I wanna go!

Its in Kettering on Stroop by Shroyer...

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Crash and I went yesterday. Ihad to go since I was out of olive oil. I can't bring myself to pay the prices that the regular groceries charge. Especially when their olive oil isn't as good!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Jazz.....the olive oil they have at Jungle Jims....AND the hot sauces, you wouldn't believe it!

Trader Joes is in Town and Country, Dusty is right, but it's in between Shroyer and Far Hills (Rt 48), some people know Far Hills and not Shroyer, that's why I said that.

The easiest way to get to Jungle Jims if you're not familiar with the area is to take 275 W toward Indiana to Rt 4. Go north and it's a couple miles or so up on your right. They have a really good vegetarian area also. I keep trying to get my vegan SIL there, but she lives in VA and ME and she never wants to take the time to go when she's here. I know she would love it, heck she thinks Dorothy Lane Market is great!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Meant to add this

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

My hubby worked at Dorothy Lane Market for years!! When we were young and had young kids, I would take the kids on the bus (I didn't have a car then!) up to eat lunch with him. He worked so many hours...that was the only way we got to see much of each other! I even took the bus to the dr up on Far Hills...and when he told me to go to the hospital...that I was in labor, I walked over to the store and told Dave we had to go!!! Many memories!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

And....he grew up across the road from Town and Country! Lived on Oakview Dr. :)) I still go to the dentist on Stroop Rd. Dr. Bean!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey Marcy, did he work at the original on Far Hills, next to Bank One?
Come to think of it, when your kids were little, like mine, it was the ONLY DLM!

I worked at the Bank One on Far Hills across from Dorothy Lane Mkt., by Siebenthalers from 76 to 80.

Now, I can't drive past them without stopping for a loaf of Asiago Cheese Bread...oh my...

I was trying to add a copy of a Jungle Jims thing, but it's a PDF and won't let me add it. :(

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Yep! It was the ONLY one! The good ole days...lol!!
And later I worked for Drs. Studebaker (father and son) at the Oakwood Eye Clinic on Far Hills.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Have you driven down Aragon recently?

I haven't been there in years.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

No Joyce, I sure haven't. We haven't been down there for a long time either. My eldest son lives around Bellbrook, and we don't even often get down to see him! (he comes here instead!) Well, he is such a work-a-holic, he is mostly never home!

Good afternoon folks, hate to break up your old home days, (don't have a clue about the area you are talking about). Got home from the grocery, and the errand thing around 1:00. DH was checking out water in the laundry room, which was by the washer, well, after he checked everything out, not the washer at all, but the water heater, so we will be spending our money for a new one. I am gonna check out that one that produces water on demand, rather than a tank. Tell me what they are called, so I can google it.

SIL and DMIL are not back from the Dr. appointment yet, the appointment was at 1:15, so I don't think it is good news. Hope to hear from them soon.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Bonnie...just google 'tankless water heaters'. I have often thought those sounded good too. Sorry about your heater...always something huh?

They are terrific Bonnie.. I had one installed in my Bar in FL..I had to get the top end one to be sure I could get the water to 161 degrees for sanitizing the dishes, but it was worth it by far and I gained a whole closet for storage when the big 60 gal one was gone..

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I love your blue MG's, Sandy! That's my fav color of them and I intend to find a good place for some eventually. Away for the beds of course so they won't be come a reseeding nightmare :~)

Lana

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, and I will have a million, gozillion seeds if you like! They are Heavenly Blue.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I think they are also called on-demand or inline water heaters.. I would like to have that kind esp upstairs. In the winter it takes a while to get hot water upstairs

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well Mom and Dad's House sold... to Lee Cash .... sound familiar Dusty?
Bought and closed Aug 8 ... rehabbed and for rent last Saturday....

Won't go back.......

Marcy we have a little more History.... I knew I knew Dave from somewhere... I used to like on Kenwood off Stroop ... shopped at DLM all the time....
Susie Grobey and her Husband Rob lived w/ me for a time on Kenwood.....

JJ's is TOPS!
If you haven't been there for a while.... it's now a Village w/ it's own off-ramp on Rt 4...

Ric

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well daggone Ric! Another Dorothy Laner!!! LOL!! Ole Cal Maine would be proud of ya!!! We ran around with his son, Norman in our younger years. He worked there too. He is now the proud (and rich!) owner of DLM!! He was an only child I think.
When Dave worked there we actually got a discount on our groceries...every employee did. I doubt they still do that!! Cal WAS good to his employees...for sure. Got bonuses, etc. Of course the pay wasn't that great back then, but then ...prices weren't as bad on everything either.

Edited to say ...that's great on selling the house Ric.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2007 9:45 PM

Ric, great news on the house. I know the feeling, it is not home, so no need to go back.

We are researching the "on demand" water heaters, and DH will go tomorrow and purchase some kind. Guess we are lucky that we saw the water, and it is leaking, but we still have hot water. We have someone lined up to install it tomorrow. So we won't have to be without hot water for any time at all.

DMIL got good news. The delay in not hearing from them, was because they hooked her up to an IV to administer some meds, and it took an hour for that to run through. Her high platlet count is due to extreme iron deficiency. She will have to have thise IV treatments once a week for 4 weeks, then on meds after that. Of course since I didn't go with her, I don't know the particulars of what the IV meds are, and DSIL, an EMT at that, couldn't give me any information. If that had been my mother, I would have had all the info before they stuck any needle in her. So next week I will take her, and I will know all the details. I know a nurse in the office, and I may call and talk to her tomorrow.

Well, today's temps reached 105, and I don't even want to know what it was with the heat index. They officially declared the whole state of Kentucky in extreme drought. Jeesh, if they had called me, I could have told them that. My lawn/yard, is brown, and crunches when you walk across it. The only saving grace for the garden is DH has been watering it.

Speaking of garden, we had one row of corn that I was planning on getting tomorrow to put in the freezer, guess what, the garden thieves got it last night. Arrgh. If I have to sit up in that garden with a shot gun, somebody is gonna pay dearly for this. It makes me so da--ed mad. DH has worked his butt off, and the lowlife slime are getting all the rewards of his labor.

Well, gonna go before I cross some administrative policy lines.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, that is so awful! So sorry to hear that. I don't blame you for being so mad. Is there any way you can hide a video cam out there?

defoecat, this may sound mean, but have you thought about setting any traps? Oh, not one strong enough to chop off their foot but one that will put a hurtin' on them? Hee hee, how 'bout a small electric fence hidden among the garden goodies? Yeah, I know I'm a meanie but I hate a thief!
I really hope that you catch them soon!

That is about the last thing in the garden. I picked the watermelons tonight, as I don't want them enjoying them too. I think we will just discontinue watering, and turn the garden over to the critters and the thieves.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Sorry to hear about your MIL, Bonnie. She and your family are in our prayers. As for the thieves, any way you could borrow a video camera from someone? Would floodlights trained on the garden scare them off?

velnita, I have had so many mean thoughts, it will take a month of Sundays to let me get right again. I have thought of electric fences, traps, shot guns, savage dogs, you name it I have thought it. I think we will just call it a gardening year, and let them have it.

gardenwife, this garden is at what was formerly my DM's house. Since it is about 1/4 of a mile away, and everyone knows that the house is empty, while being renovated, it could be just about anybody. We still have that security system, and what is more, a security light that is on and operating. It is right on the road, and DH has had so many comments on how nice it was all year. Guess, someone has been admiring it from afar all these weeks, and decided that they wanted to partake of the "beautiful garden" without expending any labor.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.