Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: teeny tiny corn ears

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hica
Breezewood, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2007
12:54 PM

Post #3863037

Hello everyone, i just found this website and i'm so happy to have people to talk to about my gardening questions rather than searching for answers and waiting to try it again next year. sometimes experience matters more than what the books say ;)

My main question is about my sweet corn. This is the third year we've tried to grow it in our small backyard garden, and the first year, we got two ears of corn. enough to make my daughter happy, but i couldn't help but be disappointed. So, i read that i needed to plant more corn to help pollination, so we did that, lots of short rows of sugar dots corn. Last year we let smut ruin the crop since we had no idea what it was then, so we used different seeds this year, and no smut. But this year, we have plenty of ears, but it's all SUPER small ears. the longest one was about 5 inches, but the majority were about 3 inches long. it tasted wonderful, but i'm thinking we can get bigger ears that taste just as good if we know what to do. We've never tested our soil, so we just used a general vegetable fertilizer available at our local nursery.

Would i have to test the soil to find out what it needs more of, or is it something else like water or sun causing our mini corn to stay so small? any advice is welcome! :)
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2007
3:35 PM

Post #3863488

The two major reasons for small ears are 1. Cultivar and 2. spacing. Sugar Dots has a nice size ear, but I understood that you planted a different cultivar this ear. Some of the early cultivars are small. The richer the soil the closer spacing that you can use., but if you give it room you can get decent ears on very poor soil.
Hica
Breezewood, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2007
9:20 PM

Post #3864904

ahhh, thank you! one of the drawbacks to letting the 4 year old put the seeds in the hole, she tends to be bad at judging spacing LOL luckily we planted enough rows for a few meals worth even with the smaller size,and still have the silver queen to harvest.

next year i'll definitely try spacing them out more and see how it works, thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America