Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Carolina Gardening: Pindo palm fruit nutritional analysis

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
thea611
Manning, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2007
6:49 PM

Post #3868140

Okay, now that I've made Pindo jelly, and have discovered how delicious the little orange fruits are, I'd like to find a nutritional analysis of them. Any ideas where to go for such info? I tried a search for pindo palm fruit nutritional analysis and come up with nothing.
I just realized this afternoon that the fruit I used to make my jelly two days ago was probably not ripe enough. The jelly is good, but the next batch will be better I think, because I just tasted some riper, softer fruit that fell off the tree today and it's much sweeter. So I'll try making more! I also juiced some of the fruit, after pulling the pits out of each one (easier when the fruit is softer); it makes a lovely thick orange juice. It would juice well with apples I think, or blended with banana and/or mango.
What a fun experiment!!!
1cros3nails4gvn
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2007
10:06 PM

Post #3868796

loquats are great too! if you let them ripen all the way. they taste very tropical once they reach their golden-orange color
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2007
9:26 PM

Post #3871989

Thea, I wonder if anyone on the Palm and Cycad forum might have this information. It must exist in some book somewhere.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2007
6:32 PM

Post #3895750

That's not really a commerical product so there might not be any info. Why do you want to know? It's going to be mostly carb's.
thea611
Manning, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2007
7:52 PM

Post #3895979

Oh, just curious!! I've been munching on them, and making jelly with them, and feel a little funny not knowing ANYthing about them!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America