-
AuthorContent
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

August 17, 2007
9:27 PM

Post #3868665

Tillandsias seem to be popular here right now.

Could I ask for some help id-ing two I recently received with no labels? The first one is...

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

August 17, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #3868670

And the next two are the same plant. The tops of the 'leaves'(?) are quite red, with no sign of variegation...and the one below is of the backs of the leaves...

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

August 17, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #3868673

backs

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 18, 2008
9:23 AM

Post #4554179

Sorry i can't help, but what beautiful plants. Are you sure they're Tillandsias and not Aechmea recurvata cultivars? (the first one anyway) I have seen one very similar.
At least this will bring it back to the top so everyone can have another look!
Good luck
Sue
digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2008
1:22 PM

Post #4563728

WW could be right. The sure way to differentiate Aechmea from Tillandsia (usually easy but not in some cases) is to look for smooth (Till) or serrated (Ae) leaves. With the great growing conditions you have it's easy to be fooled by cultural shapes and colors us temperate growers have to work with. The teeth can be very small and sometimes only apparent of one section of the leaf.

Of course WW's conditions are also supurb.

Dave

edited for spelling

This message was edited Feb 20, 2008 4:05 PM
Johntique
Winter Park, FL

February 20, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #4564033

Hey Carol ...

John here in Winter Park! Thank God the winter's almost over; hoyas, broms, cycads, koi, and I are ready for warmer weather. We are gearing up for our annual Koi Show - and our Bromeliad Show in the next couple of months. Hope your winter was warmer than last year.

I don't know the variety - but this definitely is a tillandsia ... not an aechmea. I will try to find out the variety over the weekend when I have a "tillandsia expert" coming over. We will be off to a Koi Show at the Morikami Gardens in Deerfield Beach - part of their annual Japanese Festival. The gardens are rated as one of the top Japanese Gardens in the country - and if you live in Florida - it's worth the trip. There is something for everyone at the festival!

See ya!

John
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

March 18, 2008
11:47 PM

Post #4680158

AHA...another question...pleeeeeze?

Which is the best glue to use to glue the 'pup;' of a Tillandsia to a log?

TIA
Carol
digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #4686738

There are many options. I use Goop Marine.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

March 20, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #4686985

How about Gorilla Glue?
Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

March 24, 2008
3:31 AM

Post #4701352

Aloha. When I saw your plant I recognised it as the same as the one I have out my door. It's a tillandsia mine is called
'Melon Crater'. I bought it as a very small pup it now has 5 plants but hasn't flowered as yet. I dont keep it warm humid damp dry,
any of the things I should be doing so could be why it hasn't.. What a nice surprise it will be when it finally does.
Lesley.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America