Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Genealogy Computer Software

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

I need to get a new software program and am wondering what you all are using and if you are happy with it. If not, why?

Thanks!

Rancho Cordova, CA(Zone 9a)

I have been using many different programs over the pate 20 years

The lower capability ones do not allow you to store enough sources, alternative spellings of names, alternative dates and places for an event

In my opinion the top three are Legacy Family tree, Roots Magic, or Family tree maker

The master genealogist is the most powerfull but comes up short on ease of use

there are hundreds of pages of information om the programs on my web site http://www.rader.org/ (I don't sell them, I just tach seniors how to use them)

I suggest Legacy because you can download it, and use it for free for ever
www.legacyfamilytreestore.com
Legacy does offer a deluxe version and training tools for money, they are worth the money, but you don't need them unless you are quite advanced

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks, Jim. I just briefly looked at the legacy website, and I found Roots Magic shortly after starting this thread. RM has a free download (I think its 30 days), so I downloaded it and am taking a look. It seems to be easy to use. Currently I am using FTM 2001, and get frustrated with going back and forth within an immediate family. RM has a drop down in the upper left corner that lets you move to another immediate family member easily.

If anyone else has an opinion on any of these, I would love to hear it.

FTM had a major rewrite with version 2005 and became a much better program
the new FTM 2008 is supposed to be much better

It also has a free beta download, have you tried it ?

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

No, I haven't...I'll have to do that. Thanks!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I've bought rootsmagic, but I still tend to use the old Sierra Generations, which is no longer manufactured. I love it-- there's a feature called family card which makes it so easy to see relationships, & to list zillions of kids if necessary. Wish somebody would revive it!
Pat in Cincy

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

I downloaded the trial versions of Family Tree Maker and Roots Magic that jimrader mentioned. I liked both, but really liked working with FTM more. I have found comments made about the FTM program that people who have purchased the actual software are experiencing problems. Some of the things mentioned probably wouldn't affect me, since I'm using a very old version of FTM, and I only have a couple thousand names in the database with few photos.

I recoment that all FTM users move up to 2006 version
It has a real increase in capability, you will appreciate the improvements !

and wait a while for 2008 to be completed

ps have you noticed the different versions of 2008? the only diference is the quanty of months of free ancestry access. There are several outlest offering it for around $20

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

I found FTM 2006 for $23 shipping included. I think I may give it a try.

I did read FTM is release 2008 and then supply patches for problems with the software; don't think I want to mess with that.

Jim...I appreciate all the suggestions.

Amazon.com items has a $10 rebate coupon
1 Family Tree Maker 2008 Ess... $26.99 1 $26.99

Shipped via USPS (estimated arrival date: 18-October-2007).
Tracking number: 9102049390094474730791

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Subtotal: $26.99
Shipping & Handling: $4.98

Total: $31.97 so my cost will be $21.97 for 2008

Paid by Amex: $31.97

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Okay, I give. I will try FTM one more time. Hopefully, they have worked out the glitches that they had seven or eight years ago.

I received FTM2008 today - short answer - don't rush into it
FTM2006 is much better

It appears to be the online trees program in disk form ?

The copy of FTM2008 I received
1. will not register because Ancestry has more tha one account for my surname (which ancestry required for their surname discussion boards, and every account I had with a previous company the acquired transferred over)

2 I let it download the upgrades available before importing data and it upuld not import data from FTM, Legacy or GEDCOM

3. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it did not let it upgrade then it would import the old FTM2006 file

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I did get the FTM 2008 and am very pleased. Jim, not sure why yours is doing what it is doing. Mine found all the accounts that I have ever used with Ancestry and then it asked me which one I wanted to use. So far, it is going well. No problems importing, merging, or anything else. It is doing a great job of finding data on the website that is also in my trees. Impressive.

I have found that the online trees tools with ancestry do a better job than FTM 2008
Like you say it is finding more ancestors on several lines !

the program on my computer is running now that the staff disassociated my email address from about 40 accounts on ancestry

When the program finds trees on Rootsweb.com it will not import those trees but the online version will allow me to download them and save them on my computer.

The program is so short on reports you will have to use some other program to print your book

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

DArn, that is one reason I got it.

download the free legacy program
it is one of the best http://www.legacyfamilytreestore.com/?Click=1074

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Now that you have had the FTM 2008 for a while what do you think?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

So far, no glitches.Pleased with everything I have done so far. Much easier than the old FTM that I used
back then that kept crashing.

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks. Think I'll go ahead and order it. What version of 2008 do you have?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

It is version 18.0.0.440. There is an update available but I have not downloaded that yet.

Wake Forest, NC

For Mac computer owners, REUNION 9 is the ticket:

http://www.leisterpro.com/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.