Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Stunning Historical Iris: Just Beautiful!!

Communities > Forums > Article: Stunning Historical Iris
bookmark
Forum: Article: Stunning Historical IrisReplies: 17, Views: 198
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

August 18, 2007
5:19 AM

Post #3870072

Mitch - absolutely beautiful! I don't know if they will grow out here, but I will certainly look for these historical irises for my Colorado garden. Thank you for a gorgeous list to start a collection from.
skimper
Greenwich, OH

August 18, 2007
10:28 AM

Post #3870278

Nice!photos of your irises.I have a few.I like the violet harmony and Indian chief.The pink taffetta and sapphire hills is pretty.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2007
11:13 AM

Post #3870319

Love your article!!! I happen to be friends with an iris hybridizer. His name is Dr. Norlan Hernderon. Known best for Kansas City. Doc is 90+ yrs young now but is still out there digging and planting. He would approve of your list of irises for getting people started.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2007
12:03 PM

Post #3870415

Gorgeous iris! I need to look at these for an upcoming garden...how could I have missed these! Thanks for the informative article Mitch - the photos are fabulous also :)

Dea
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2007
2:39 PM

Post #3870867

Very pretty! I must find White Parasol! It is just the prettiest white I have seen! I love the older ones! I have several I have not identified yet, but will keep trying! Thanks so Mitch for this article!
Candyce
The Monadnock Region, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2007
4:17 PM

Post #3871130

Thanks, Mitch. You have provided just the information I need to get more color into my Iris gardens. All I have now is blue. I can't wait to see what combos of these lovely blooms I will be choosing.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2007
7:01 PM

Post #3871600

Wonderful pictures! Now I have identified the magnificent Wabash that my elderly neighbor grows-thanks!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2007
7:31 PM

Post #3871664

I fondly remember my Grandmother's deep purple Iris around her Victorian home, She had a huge bed of them right out front. Those and her dark red rambler rose that covered one end of the clothesline...
girlgroupgirl

August 19, 2007
12:15 AM

Post #3872346

Oh, Mitch! This is an excellent article. I love the photos. I must have "peach face" to go with the dwarf plumb colored irises I grow. And Saphire for the blue garden.
The information is greatly appreciated. I teach some classes in historical gardens appropriate for the homes in this end of Atlanta, now I have some more nice dates of iris. The most common found here is Wabash. It is a beautiful thing when the streets here with old houses are lined with the purple and white blooms.

Thanks!

girlgroupgirl
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

August 19, 2007
1:42 AM

Post #3872707

Beautiful iris. May be my favorite flower.
andycdn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 4b)

August 19, 2007
6:00 PM

Post #3874650

If only I could grow these! My town garden is too shady, and the cottage rampant with plant-devouring deer, rabbits and others. Maybe some day... I'll know where to look. Thanks!
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2007
1:53 AM

Post #3876211

I don't have any critters that mess with Iris. Deer, nor Rabbits or others...so maybe you could have them at your cottage!
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2007
3:03 AM

Post #3876465

You really opened my eyes about historics, Mitch. I thought they were all two-tone purple! Thank you.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2007
6:20 PM

Post #3906109

Wonderful article and good choice in old Iris.

Judy
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2007
2:00 PM

Post #3928175

Great article, Mitch, and thank you for doing it. I am very interested in the historics, started collecting them this year, with an order from Superstition.
laurief
Deer River, MN
(Zone 3b)

September 2, 2007
5:28 PM

Post #3928714

It's nice to see historic irises being promoted in your article. It is important to preserve these golden oldies from which all modern irises have been bred. It's also true that the historics have been around long enough to have proven their hardiness in a variety of climates and growing conditions. They are generally well-suited for difficult climates and novice gardeners.

I didn't realize that pics I've uploaded to the PlantFiles would be used in these articles, as well, but I'm happy to allow them to be used for this purpose.

Laurie
SueR52
Cleveland, OH

August 4, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #8017389

Great article and lovely pictures. Thank you!

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

August 4, 2013
9:36 PM

Post #9621672

Anyone who wants to grow these beautiful historics must get 'Indian Chief' eventually for the garden, it is the most beautiful breathtaking magenta red and pink historic in our opinion for many reasons. my mother used to grow iris pallida dalmatica, the old fashioned lavender sweet iris. it is another must. it smells like grape soda or laundry detergent. Argus Pheasant is really nice, but their are two other brown iris, one called Gingersnap and one called Picador which is gold on top, both of which smell like rootbeer. Thank-You for this Wonderful Article!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Stunning Historical Iris Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Iris pgilady 2 Aug 4, 2010 9:14 AM
My historicals inanda 1 Aug 28, 2007 9:40 PM
Historical Iris roseberries 11 May 29, 2008 8:04 PM
Help identify iris faitani 2 Aug 3, 2010 11:31 AM
Louisiana Yellow Flag Iris won't bloom TXjennywren 1 Aug 9, 2010 6:56 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America