Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Stunning Historical Iris: Iris

Communities > Forums > Article: Stunning Historical Iris
bookmark
Forum: Article: Stunning Historical IrisReplies: 2, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pgilady
Punta Gorda, FL

August 20, 2007
2:31 PM

Post #3877576

I just read your article in Dave's Aug 19 newsletter & note that you say that iris can be grown all over the U.S. I used to live in TN, and had lots of iris. I now live in Punta Gorda, FL (zone 10) and miss these lovely flowers. Can I grow them here, and if so, what do you recommend.
Thanks,
Sara
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2007
12:18 AM

Post #3879810

Head over to the Iris forum - there are several growers over there that just love Iris and they are from zones 9 and 10.
Clustina
Middleburg, FL

August 4, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #8017829

Mitch,
Thank you for that suggestion. I am going to go to the Iris forum. I love purple Iris. When I was growing up in Fresno, CA, every year my Mother had a flower bed with deep purple Iris and bright yellow dafodills. It was so pretty. When my Father died in 1976, I helped my Mother move here to Florida, and we brought some of her Iris. I have a pot with 4 rizomes of her Iris. I never planted it in the ground, because something about our soil causes everything I plant to have a problem with wilt. The Iris seems very healthy, but it has never bloomed in the 34 years I have had it. I hope I can learn something I can do to get it to bloom.
Clustina

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Stunning Historical Iris Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Just Beautiful!! Islandshari 17 Aug 4, 2013 9:36 PM
My historicals inanda 1 Aug 28, 2007 9:40 PM
Historical Iris roseberries 11 May 29, 2008 8:04 PM
Help identify iris faitani 2 Aug 3, 2010 11:31 AM
Louisiana Yellow Flag Iris won't bloom TXjennywren 1 Aug 9, 2010 6:56 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America