Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Organic Gardening: Good Soil

Communities > Forums > Organic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Organic GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tigpie
Kernville, CA

August 21, 2007
5:07 PM

Post #3882261

I put the natural materials found here in the southern Sierra Nevada mountains into my garden dirt. This is a hazardous wildfire area, so I am also eliminating some fuels from my 5 acres. The grasses grow Feb.- Apr., then dry out. I put them underneath my dirt, so I don't get any grass seeds germinating. I grow plants there, by time I harvest the grasses have decomposed. I like to build soil. I don't have to till, because the soil addtions build a great loam. How is it in your garden?
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2007
12:11 AM

Post #3900209

Actually I have 3 gardens.

One is fairly conventional . I add everything back I can to it like corn cobs and shucks...even unused apples and pears plus mulched leaves. This one I fall plow.

Another is amended beds...informal and easily adjusted for melons, potatoes, broccoli, and carrots. These beds have received a large amount of sand and local peat and are very nice and loose soil. I do add well rotted horse manure in the fall where melons are going to be next year...plus mulched leaves.

The other is a combination of beds and tilled areas

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Organic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miracle Gro darius 70 May 14, 2013 6:35 AM
Not Gardening, but Organic information darius 14 Feb 20, 2008 9:10 PM
pumpkins & borers roseofkaren 25 Feb 24, 2008 8:39 PM
Brewer's grain vs. Alfalfa meal/pellets for amendments? tabasco 9 Nov 3, 2008 6:36 PM
Raised beds & soil-borne disease sfk 9 Apr 6, 2008 4:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America