-
AuthorContent
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2007
7:32 PM

Post #3882850

Gordon's Picotee is doing GREAT, only two of the seeds made it but it sure is healthy and I am anxiouse to see how it looks in a couple of days.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2007
11:57 PM

Post #3883719

Good luck! Out of 25 plants only 7 were picoteed. The rest double whites.

X
1cros3nails4gvn
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2007
12:45 AM

Post #3883904

what is picotee?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2007
3:27 AM

Post #3884704

Here's a definition of picotee

http://davesgarden.com/guides/terms/go/667/

X
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2007
1:32 PM

Post #3885657

Good Luck Doris.. here's wishing for Picotees for you... did you plant all of the seeds that were sent...
XeRam well you got about 1/3 Picotees... just growing foward the ones that are Picoteed we shsould be able to increase the ocourance of the display... what do you think.. or further away from the event that caused it.. cross or genetic change.. might get fewer of them.. interesting to see the later percentage... might help to speculate on the way the picotee evolved.. and we might get a nice clear breeding seed... picotees every time for every one...
good luck to the unheard from individuals that were also sent the seeds...
Gordon
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2007
3:51 PM

Post #3886255

Yes I did Gordon, I have three more starting to show, but our weather has been so HOT and DRY I think these are all that will make it, the plants do get nice and big as you can see, the others do not have buds yet, this one is definately yellow anxiouse to see it fully open.

Doris
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2007
3:30 PM

Post #3895018

Gordon, no sign of picotee but the flower is large and beautiful

Thumbnail by kareoke

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2007
3:31 PM

Post #3895023

2nd picture

Thumbnail by kareoke

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2007
4:00 PM

Post #3895147

Wow .. save those seeds .. i didn't get any solid yellows! All double white.

X
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2007
4:17 PM

Post #3895222

Doris..lovely looking yellow though ... it looks a bit like a double...a volitile seed bank... yellows..double whites and the white with a yellow picotee all from the same seed pod... not multiple pods nature is amaising..
you've still got afew chances at a picotee there...keep us posted as the the development of the other s you have on the way... Thanks again... Gordon
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2007
5:51 PM

Post #3895599

Gordon it is almost like a tripple, I moved the pot into the shade because it is 101 out there today and she is wilting fast.

Xeramtheum I sure hope I get seeds and if I do I will let you know

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 25, 2007
12:36 AM

Post #3896963

Where can I buy seeds for the Blue Picotee that is shown in plant files? I have Purple Ballerina, Double Yellow and Evening Fragrance but I've never heard of or seen a Blue Picotee! It is beautiful and I must grow some. Please let me know??
Hold on! I just googled. Is Blue Picotee a Morning Glory or a Datura? I am confused as I thought we are talking Daturas?

This message was edited Aug 24, 2007 8:45 PM
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2007
1:37 AM

Post #3897235

The blue picotee is a morning glory. There are no blue datura.

X
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2007
1:41 AM

Post #3897247

TPlant...OH.. I'll sell you blue picotee seeds... fresh from the vine..but you will find it is a morning glory... Igot my seeds from Japan this spring .. the picotee we are trying to sort out here is in deed a datura... a white with a yellow edging... I sent out seeds to a few dozen DGers last fall from just such a flowering plant... Gordon

This message was edited Aug 24, 2007 9:43 PM
TexasLou
Hooks, TX

August 25, 2007
2:26 AM

Post #3897437

GordonHawk,
I thought I had lost the seed you sent to me, but I found them two months ago. I prayed that it wasn't too late and I planted them. I now have a dozen or so nice plants that have outgrown the 16 oz. cups they are in. I plan to put them in larger pots tomorrow and hope they still have time to bloom. Our first freeze in usually in late October. So, I have two more months of growth, and hopefully blooms.

X generously sent me seeds from your picotee datura also. I'm saving them to plant next February to have for the 2008 spring and summer.

Thanks for including me in this experiment -
Louise
TexasLou
Hooks, TX

August 27, 2007
1:56 AM

Post #3903882

Gordon,
I have moved my picotee plants out of the solo cups and into 6 and 8 inch pots for the next few weeks. I don't have any beds ready yet for them. I know they have gotten a very late start but I hope there is time enough left for them to bloom. If not, I will bring them inside. They will have to get even larger pots later on for them to bloom.

Thanks for the seed,
Louise

They are the 12 plants on the front of the potting table.

Thumbnail by TexasLou

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2007
1:55 PM

Post #3909396

Gordon this is my second flower to bloom still no picotee but she is beautiful

Thumbnail by kareoke

ahelms
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2007
4:10 AM

Post #3916689

Wow, that's beautiful, Doris. Add my name to your list if you collect seeds.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2007
6:17 AM

Post #3916882

very good Louise...with somanyflowers...to come..
Doris.. niceyellow there... a triple.. Gordon

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2008
12:16 PM

Post #5477719

Gordon, do you have any more of the seeds. I would love to try them.
Linda Kay
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2008
1:35 PM

Post #5477996

well see I'll check back with you... and if I do have a few left..?? you might have better luck at a picotee.. if you get some from someone with picotees from the seeds I sent out.. it would seem to have a second generation of it... it would be more stable it what it threw...
but I'll look..
. Gordon

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #5478299

That would be nice, but if not I will post again.

Thanks
Linda Kay
lily13
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2008
5:15 PM

Post #5498791

Does anyone know anything about a picotee white with a pale lavendar edge?

Earlier this year, I purchased three plants that were labeled as plain datura inoxia, but they are quite different than the ones that I have grown here for several years. These flowers are much larger, and have a lavendar edge that is very difficult to photograph. The color is more apparent in the bud before it opens.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2008 1:04 PM

Thumbnail by lily13

lily13
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2008
5:17 PM

Post #5498804

Here is a picture of two flowers to show the difference in size between the regular one on the left and the picotee one on the right.

Thumbnail by lily13

lily13
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #5498831

Here is a picture of the two plants side by side. The difference is most apparent in the buds. The plant on the left clearly shows the buds to be darker and lavendar, while the flowers buds on the right are very yellow before they open.

The picotee plant also seems to be more resistant to insect damage.

Does anyone know anything about them?

Thumbnail by lily13

lily13
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2008
5:29 PM

Post #5498854

One more picture of them face-on. The lavendar is much more pronounced in person than in the picture.

Thumbnail by lily13

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2008
5:37 PM

Post #5498878

Raising hand and begging here...LOL - I'd also love to provide a home for and possible Picotee seeds!!
lily13
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2008
5:59 PM

Post #5498947

Chantell,

No need to beg, these are EXTREMELY prolific plants. I will have more seeds than I know what to do with. D-Mail me with your info and I will send you some. Up until now, I have been cutting off most of the seed pods, but I will let several of them go to seed. I plan to get rid of the old ones completely, and have lots of these instead.

This is a picture of four plants - two of these picotees and two double purples that are hardly noticeable next to them. As you can see, the folliage is nearly perfect. My older white dats are nearly eaten up with bug damage.

Do you think that these may be a local hybridizer's new release? I have never seen them mentioned before.

Thumbnail by lily13

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #5498979

[quote] Datura wrightii (flowers measure five inches across and are five to nine inches long; the upper section is usually violet to pale violet and have five peaks) [/quote] http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/501087/

[quote] Datura wrightii is formerly Datura metel var. rubra. here is whole plant [HYPERLINK@en.wikipedia.org] , [HYPERLINK@calphotos.berkeley.edu] see the bluish/lavender margin along the edge of the flower? [/quote]
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=1409843

Datura wrightii i believe is NOT picotee but another Datura specie
lily13
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2008
6:18 PM

Post #5499010

MaVieRose,

Thank you for the information! These must have been mislabeled. I like them so much more than the inoxias. Next year, I will line the entire perimiter of my property with them to keep out the deer. Did I mention that the deer won't even nibble at them?
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #5500533

u're welcome Sheral. sometimes sellers do give named plant another name to push their product, to make an extra $, which creates confusion to the general public.

am not surprise the deer won't touch daturas. it is within their nature to "know" there is poison in that plant. common sense dictates that statement.
gammy3
Columbia Station, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2008
10:50 PM

Post #5622956

Lily13 I just was reading this thread and would love to get some of your datura seeds. If you care to trade please look at my have list and see if I have anything that might interest you. PLMK
We have deer here too. the builders level and area and destroy their habitat for their developments and the poor things are lost I guess...but
they are pretty big and if close up, they scare me. Far off they are beautiful
lily13
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2008
1:15 PM

Post #5638757

Gammy3

Sorry to take so long to respond. Usually anytime I post to anything, it is a thread killer, and nobody ever posts again, so I didn't expect anyone to respond. I've decided to quit posting to DG.

I already have two large coffee mugs full of the seeds, and the plants have not really started to produce many seeds yet! I am happy to send you as many as you could possibly use. Please D-Mail your address and I will send you a hand-full. I really think that these are a superior plant to the usual inoxia datura. Just my opinion.

sibhskylvr
(Mike) Batesville, AR

October 4, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #7133815

Gordon

Do you happen to have any Gordon's 'Picotee' seed left? I'd love to try them for next year! :) Please let me know if you happen to get a few extra minutes!

Thank you!

Mike

Thumbnail by sibhskylvr

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #7134363

Ho Mike..
well I was lookingfor them afewweeks ago... going tobring some to a darura hybirdizer in upstate NY... but I couldn't locate any... I'll be trying again later... if I run up on some I'll let you know... Gordon
sibhskylvr
(Mike) Batesville, AR

October 4, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #7134583

Gordon

That would be great! :) Thanks so much Gordon! Have a great day!

Mike

Thumbnail by sibhskylvr

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2010
2:21 AM

Post #7562775

I got seeds from Xeramtheum late last year. My first one started opening this afternoon, I'll take another pic in the morning. It's making the greenhouse smell wonderful! 5 other plants have buds or are setting them too!

Thumbnail by mjsponies

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2010
5:46 AM

Post #7563304

MJ's ...Well.. congratulations on getting one that came true to my yellow picotee... be sure to save the seeds... it will be interesting to me to see the percentage of the picotee in this later generation.. you have..
Mike...send me your address...I got seeds from my baby back from them also ..so i'll send you some.. to keep the look alive... in lots of places...

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2010
10:38 AM

Post #7563428

Gordon,
Yup, all plants are marked, and I'll keep a "pictorial' record of them.
mj

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7582194

Here's the second plant of the 6 to bloom ..very different than the first.

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2010
10:22 PM

Post #7582314

Interesting yellow pattern there.

X

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2010
11:31 PM

Post #7582560

Here's a comparison...Plant "A" (left) is the one that bloomed this morning, Plant "B" (right).is the one that bloomed first. 4 more to go, and all but one have buds on them.

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2010
12:23 AM

Post #7582715

This is an interesting turn! The picture below is what we're shooting for to stabilize .. the yellow picotee around the edges. Keep track or a record of the different yellow patterns you see with the seeds you collect.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2010
1:39 AM

Post #7582956

X, the second plant is bigger than the first. I'm wondering as they grow if the blooms will get bigger, more full, and maybe more yellow on the edges. I'll take side pics too from now on...should have thought of that.
Plants are labeled and as I take pics am recording them by label and date. I'll keep adding to the "grid photo" for comparisons as they bloom. They actually are ready to move up to bigger pot. I'm not going to put them in the ground, have tomatoes and Black Currant Swirl, and I don't like to keep the Dat's near my tomatoes( cause of spinx moths) and don't have a clue if they would cross with the BCS.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2010
6:50 AM

Post #7615500

5th plant to bloom...NO yellow... the rest of the plants have buds so we'll see what happens

>

This message was edited May 8, 2010 7:34 AM

Thumbnail by mjsponies

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #7774542

here's a collage of the blooms I've gotten so far, I'll check to see what's open this morning.

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #7775052

Wow .. the one on the far left is the best so far!!!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2010
3:43 AM

Post #7850999

Here's the last one to bloom, don't know why it took it's sweet time...

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #7854568

That one is interesting looks like half of it is pure yellow.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #7854825

Yes it does. More buds on it so we'll see how they are doing. Some have come out Pure white on some of the other plants.
this one is a fat triple white...already snipped it off...so no cross pollinating.

Thumbnail by mjsponies

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2010
8:30 AM

Post #7854910

Yes... the 1/2 white or 1/2 yellow one is most interesting... very unusual for a flower coloration on any plant..
I guess if getting a stable even yellow picotee is difficult to lock in... I guess the best alternative is a coloration so varried it might leed us to something more unusual.. that might be locked in... while we wait..
keep up the good work out there...
OH>>Mike... I never got your address.. if your looking to give some a run there.. drop it to me...
I might still be able to find the ones I could have sent ..back in Feburary when I offered to send some
katrun
Alexandria, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2010
12:19 PM

Post #7894130

I received some seeds from Xeramtheum last season ( THANK AGAIN!!) and I planted them late.Only a few germinated, thus far but it looks like that some are just slow. I am very excited to see how mine come out. I have 3 types the picotee , double and triple.
How big should they be before I move them in to their permanent locations? I have them in a seed "peat" tray now. I was going to put them in the ground in about a 2 weeks or so when they get a bit bigger. They just have their first set of leaves. I do not want to mess these up . We have had terrible thunderstorms and have had to move them several times so they do get too wet.
Are these just as easy to grow as the regular Daturas?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2010
12:54 PM

Post #7894236

Just the same. I usually plant mine out when they get their 2nd set of true leaves.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #7894265

Most recent...this plant's produced the most consistent...so am letting it set seed.

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #7894285

Definitely a keeper!

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #8153270

misponies if you have seeds for that peachy yellow one, I would love a few seeds to try or trade for double yellow or for castor beans, red.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2010
2:36 AM

Post #8153469

hellnzn11, the only one I allowed to go to seed is this one...it most consistently produced what we were looking for in this flower.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7894265
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #8154844

Is that the one that is kind of yellow and white, it looks that way from the pix?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America