Farm programs can you help

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

Hi
I hope i can explain this so people can understand. LOL
So we have started with the paper work on our purchased the 40 acres , but the farmer is still in some program wit his crops.
Does he have to farm it until he is out of the program ? or can it be changed over to us to farm?
anyone know of how these farm programs work? I wish i could remember which one it is, I think it was wit a CAU ? does that ring a bell. I tried to google but only came up with mortgage companys and colorado University and conneticut stuff .
any help is appreciated
thanks for helping this newbie to country land ownership :)
sue

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow.... That (might) vary from state to state. Hopefully some Ohio folks know the answer to that one.

:) Glenda

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Contact your county extension office. They can either tell you what's involved or point you in the right direction to find the agency overseeing the program. There are a lot of programs right now - it's a veritable alphabet soup. Get what paperwork you have and give them a call and I'm sure they will be able to help you.

Oh, and congratulations on your purchase!

This message was edited Aug 23, 2007 6:41 AM

ok i will look into that Glenda thanks , didn't think of that office . They do everything those County extension offices :)
thanks a bunch :) Kathleen we are looking forward to it .
warmly
sue

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

When we bought our farmsite, we got some crop land with it. The men renting the farm went to the office, (of whatever they worked through), & had the acres re-figured. We aren't in the program. I believe in getting what you can & not depend on government programs. We only have about 5 acres of crops & it's all veggies. Government wouldn't know what to do with us if we went to them. Only have had 1 damaging hail storm in 22 years, so we'll take our chances.
With 40 acres I would stay clear of the government, too. They like to run your farm.
We would like to rent a couple acres from a neighbor for some extra things. If the farmer did that he would be out on his nose.
Bernie

I agree iwth you on that with the government running your farm and not you.
The tillable is only 9 acres, that he is using.i just would like it if we didn't have to do the program and be stuck wit him using the land until the contract ends on his part.
I will visit our extension office sometime next week.
thanks fro the advice it sure is helping :) I feel better .
thanks again Bernie
sue

Waddy, KY

Sounds like he signed up some of his land with what was formally called the Soil Conservation Service. I think that would come out of the local ASCS office. The government program initials and names change like a local restraunt's menu so I'm not sure what they're called at this moment. I don't know if those agreements transfer from owner to owner or not.

that is what were hoping Kydaylily. Yes you never know what they are called .
I htink i might just call the realtor and see what he says also of what can be done and what he advises. Seems simple, but knock on wood. lol :)
i m glad i asked this question , i am learining so much already.
thanks
sue

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Go to the county FSA...........Farm Service Agency. They are the ones that will be able to tell you about all the different programs. The extension office will most likely not; they are not the agency that deals with that sort of thing. Trust me, FSA is where you need to go.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

ahhhh, thunks herself in head - FSA, of course. Here, the FSA office is in the same building as the Coop Ext. The secretaries just direct you to the right area. FSA or NRCS, (Natural Resources Conservation Service - also in the same building here) either one will help with current programs.

Have i ever told you Anna you ROck
I told my DH it "FSA" not " CSA"
So here i m googleing all this CSA stuff and calling on the memebers of DG for help. I knew DGers would come through. yeah
Now i can tell DH " See i told you " I know it is not nice to gloat , but i think i will . Just a little
You too KATHLEEN YOU ROCK ( but don't hurt yourself. )
HEat adviserey here today might have to wait to go Monday
thanks ladies
I m alos trying to see if i can get forestry out there to help me with the woods, so he can tell me about them and how to help conserve them for natural habitat. I want to make a pond in the mucky area , it looks like tiny streams go into that area so i thought huh why not a pond.
We also want to build walking trails but don't want to disrupt anything to much. Hmm probly just over thinking it huh?
take care and thanks again
sue

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

taynors, be glad you don't live in Wisconsin............you can hardly turn around in "your" woods or wetland area without getting called on the carpet. I am pressed for time right this minute, or I would explain..........I will be back later to tell you just "how we know this........"

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

lol, Anna, wetlands - don't you dare drain them! NYS is pretty eco conscious, too.

HUH ? :) lol

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Strict laws on wetlands here too. If a housing project takes up a little area, they must replace it, but always looks like a lot more than the original. Only trouble is it don't really act like a wetland!
Dumb DNR!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

basically what it means to you is, depending on Ohio regulations, you may not be able to turn your mucky area into a pond. Wetlands, which have been over drained, often by the very agencies that now protect them, are a touchy subject.

LOL, the joys of owning a small farm!

OOOOOHHHHHHHH
i see, hmm i don't know if it is a weland area or is considered one? but i will check into it. It looks more swampy than welandish.
but hey what do i know lol :)
good to know all this stuf before i go trotting off and fixing things that might not need fixin
sue

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

the appropriate agencies will send you the new owner correspondence. i had one send me a letter and told me what i had to fill in to signup for the program. then they sent me a letter and said i wasn't eligible. then this year a different division sent me a form to apply and said i could plant anything or nothing it didn't matter and that i was eligible for $42.
I have 6 1/2 acres. if you don't want to enroll you don't have to do anything. personally i don't think it's even worth the effort for my little dab. but the farm bill is up for renewel or changing this year so who knows.

I found out what program it is CAUV it is called. Basically i was told you get a tax discount. The one problem i can see is if we decide not to use it several yrs down the road , we have to pay the back three yrs of the tax discount that was given. Is how i understand it.
but if we qualify it does sound like a good deal. I guess depending on the disount, wil call my accountant too.
I told the lady we are doing crops mainly for our own personal use and farmers market, she said that is agriculture. So if anyone know more on this program . I would really like to know more about it. I still have to go down to the auditors and learn more . I sign up in Jan
if i decide to do it.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Best to stay on your own for such a little acreage. You will not get very much money anyhow. If you are signed up you are in for regulations. Anything you would want to do with your land you would have to go ask permission!
Good luck!
Bernie

oh really . i do want to look more into it before i go sign up.
i will google it and see what i can come up with.
i think staying on my own is a good idea
but i will still look into it.
I don't like asking permission to use my land my way, if that is how it will be iwth the program.
thanks
sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images