close up lens filters?

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Hi, I'm rather new to DSLR and have been dabbling with different lens ideas, I want to get a close up filter and am really leaning towards a hoya +1+2+4 close up lens filter, But have seen another close up filter with 4 lens's ~" +1+2+4 & MACRO +10 CLOSE UP LENS FILTERS" But, I believe the name on these lens's are mandie, Which I am not farmiliar with. ~Has anyone used close up lenses that they could tell me about/ Are happy with?? It seems that the macro +10 would get closer then the Hoya +1+2+4, But, quality of lens makes a big difference too. Any help would be appreciated..

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Iris - I found this little "gadget" - I use it for very, very close ups - it is a "snap-on" macro filter by Raynox, no need for adapters - takes excellent close ups - I got mine from E-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Raynox-DCR-250-43mm-Super-Macro-Conversion-Lens-NEW_W0QQitemZ230163241167QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230163241167

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Beec-no-va, Thanks so much for the link, It's interesting! Unfortunately, It won't fit my camera. Would love to see some of your close up photos though if you don't mind posting them.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Aw shucks - too bad - I love it cause I can snap it on in no time -

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

MG

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I don't mind snap on, screw on, Just as long as I can get close! LOL! Nice closeup you got!

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Chinese lily (I think)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Ahh, Another nice one! (You were posting the mg while I was posting a reply, So I just seen the mg now)

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

This is a 1.5" tiny cactus I have

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

CL is nice, Looks buggy to me though! LOL!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

catus photo is neat!

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Spinage on cactus :-)

Edited spelling - after all it IS 3.30 AM and I have been working all nite :)

This message was edited Aug 24, 2007 3:37 AM

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

I also got the 400X zoom for the camera from Raynox - brilliant for incredible distance :-)

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Anyway - I wish you luck in finding the perfect filters - I started out with the 1,2, 4 and x10 - it is a blast :-)

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

neat photo's! I got a 300x wish I had a 400!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Did you like the ones you started out with alot?

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

I did and still use them - I also have some other specialty filters I am going to start using - for special effects - haven't had much time lately to play with the camera - I am still a beginner as far as I am concerned

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thanks for letting me know, I think I might go with the hoya lens kit ( The lens I really want cost about $550.00) So I'll go with the kit for now. I'm realitivly a beginner too.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Good luck - have fun and enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thanks!! You too!!! And thanks for posting all the neat photos!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey ya Iris - I see my buddy Becky's already helped you out some. Just an FYI many of sellers have other sizes avail - just message them. Additionally, you can buy "step-down" or "step-up" rings that will allow other sizes to accommodate your lens size. I have all of those that you listed and I've found them useful...just be very careful to remove all dust from filter. Here's one I took yesterday with the +10, I think...may be the 20...can't remember. These are screw on's though so not as easy/quick to put on as Becky's. I love her's!!!

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

That was one single bloom from a cluster that's about the size of a silver dollar

Thumbnail by Chantell
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Chantell, Thanks for the up-date, I know about the step up rings, I try to keep all I'm buying at the largest size so that I will only need 2 step up rings for using my smaller lenses. I've heard many say that the +10 gives too soft of a look, But, Your picture with the +10 looks nice. Both are very nice photo's, What kind of plant is that?? Also, What make are your close up filters? ( Just curious)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Iris. Just looked at my filter & it's actually a +20. It only says IT Macro on it. I'll try to do a search on my ebay to see if I can find out who the seller was...and I'll post here.
The plant is a Hoya Bella...one of my favs to take pics of. :)

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Your Welcome! And Thanks for trying to do the search! I don't think I recall seeing a +20 anywhere, But I'm sure there is.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

This is the same filter - same price...haven't found out if it's the same seller or not. http://cgi.ebay.com/58mm-MACRO-20-CLOSEUP-LENS-FILTER-Attachement-Free-S-H_W0QQitemZ230164138657QQihZ013QQcategoryZ30045QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Chantell, Thanks so much for the link, I'll be checking them out.

Marlton, NJ

Excellent pics guys!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm confused. Are these close-up filters only for SLR cameras for which the whole lens part can be swapped, or do they also work for digital cameras that are not SLRs, and for which I thought you didn't swap out the lens? We're thinking of buying a camera, and I want it to work for closeups, and in fairly dark settings, plus this and that . . . .

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Mine is an actual filter...if your digital has "threading" on the front or has accessibility to the use of an adapter which has threading then you can use any of the filters that are used on film cameras - just need to make sure you've got the right size to match the adapter (but you knew that already)
Canon Adapter: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/463322-REG/Canon_1593B001_LA_DC58H_Lens_Adapter.html
An after market one: http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/G7.html
I'm not familiar with other camera brands....so I'm not sure what other ones have these. Now if you're not using a better "point and shot" and going with a DSLR then obviously you could just use an actual macro lens....with or without a marcro filter. Clear as mud?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Chantell. I don't want a DSLR -- weighs too much. But I want to be able to take good close-ups. I didn't realize the non-SLR digitals would take filters. They don't take replacement lenses, do they?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

If you mean - can you swap lenses out....no, not any that I'm aware of at least.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

That's what I thought. So it is especially important if I want to get good close-ups to get a camera that allows that, yes? I can't boost that ability with an add-on lens, yes?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

When wanting to do close ups - you want one that has a "super" macro - image stabilization helps on close ups as well as when you're using your optical zoom at full power. Then if you can get one that either has the threading on the built in lens or allows for an attachment w/threading then you can add a macro filter to increase magnification. Just remember w/these you have to be right on the subject they won't work from a distance in my experience.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ok, thanks. I was mulling about the Canon you and Hart have been discussing S5IS (I think that's the one) or the Canon G9. We are very slow to decide these things.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Took me yearS to decide on a camera...believe me...I understand...

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

I can certainly vouch for the G9 - I love it for it's bells & whistles and ease of use!!! Excellent indoors & out, fabulous zoom and macros are awesome - 12.1 pixel :-) It also has an adapter so you can actually use regular filters on it :-)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

How can you tell what the macro capability of a digital camera is?

Oh I see; the Canon G9 has a Macro: 0.39 in.-1.6 ft./1-50cm (WIDE). So that means I could focus us to .39" away?

Is there anything you don't like about it?

This message was edited Aug 3, 2008 10:51 PM

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Nope, not at all - I originally bought it to be the "purse camera" & use my FZ50 for all other photos - But, I find myself using the G9 most of the time - has everything and some & it's so light and easy to use, & no need to lug around the big camera bag - if any complaint it would have to be I still haven't figured out all it can do!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ok, I'm sold; now I need to convince DH!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.