anyone have chestnut trees

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

Hi
I found a great site for chestnuts (www.buychestnuts.com ) and they sell trees and seeds. I was wondering if anyone has a tree of there own and do they enjoy their nuts ? :)
I m looking foreward to roasting them this fall
yummers
sue

Anza, CA(Zone 8b)

I love chestnuts! I'm looking for trees, but no one seems to want to ship to CA.

yes Ca is tough on shipping plants . This company wont. Somthing about quarantine areas wit some states .
I got a 10 bag of them roasted up a bunch and yummers.
sue

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Yesterday my neighbor gave me about 5 pounds of chestnuts. Yummy even raw although raw they are VERY high in tannic acid and it is recommended to cook them. I haven't decided what I will do with mine. Certainly save some for chestnut stuffing at Thanksgiving.

BTW, the husks are extremely sharp and prickly. I had to shell mine by using by boots to open the burrs.

CHESTNUTS WITH PORTABELLA MUSHROOMS
From Frank A. Marra Jr. of West Virginia

2 8 oz. packages of Portabella Mushrooms - diced
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 stick butter (not margarine)
6 cloves garlic - diced finely
16 oz. heavy cream (2 half pint containers)
1 tablespoon fresh parsley - chopped
2 tablespoons of flour - optional 1/2 pound to a pound of Chestnuts - Prepared (shelled and chopped into quarters)

Combine olive oil and butter in a saucepan over medium low heat. Add sliced Portabella Mushrooms and garlic. Sauté until reduced by half. Add the cut up chestnuts and continue to warm through. Add the heavy cream and work down again until warm and bubbly. Season to taste. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.

If sauce is too thin, up to 2 tablespoons of flour can be whisked in immediately after the addition of the heavy cream.

Serve over baked potato or pork chops.

i got 10 lbs and am going to make soup and stuffing
Hey Darius do you know how long they will stay in a fridge by any chance do you's :)
check out this site for recieps www.buychestnuts.com
they sell them and have recipes i m going to try her soup and stuffing
can't wait
sue

To refrigerate, place in a paper bag for a few days (to dry out somewhat) then transfer to tight plastic bag. Should keep several weeks.

good to know thank Dar
sue

Here's some chestnuts. The middle ones still have the "inner skin" on them... it usually comes off when baking or boiling. The right photo shows some of the fuzz inside the shell.

Thumbnail by darius
Greensboro, AL

You can grow those chestnuts. Just put them in pots where they will get rain and snow (winter sowing) and keep in a sheltered spot.

what kind of chestnuts are those Darius
chinese or euro
Gloria that is a good idea with pots
i wonder if i can , can chestnuts
i m going to make the soup and try and can it. Don't see why it wouldn't work. Its a pureed soup.
i think i might try and boil up a bunch tomorrow
i love them things
sue

Sue, my neighbor didn't know what kind, probably just a cross.

yes your probly right mine are a cross too. The euro ones were wiped out do to blight, i m just always curious if anyone has an old euro one that might have survived blight.
My FIL has some on his golf course that they planted 30 yrs ago.
HE told me this after i spent $65. 00 on ordering chestnuts lolol :)
Rose i wish you luck in your search. i m sure their is someone who has them in CA ?
sue

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Rose, where was the grower located? The reason CA won't allow chestnut trees to be shipped in from east of the Rockies is that we do not have chestnut blight here. California has some of the last remaining stands of native American chestnut trees. They were planted over 100 years ago, along with some old varieties of European chestnut. There are chestnut growers on the west coast that can ship to you.

http://www.sfc.ucdavis.edu/pubs/SFNews/archive/96031.htm

http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8010.pdf

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.