Floral Design 'Workshop'

london England, United Kingdom

Sookey asked what a collar was...............I made a collar with plant material.

Ivy, Russian vine, morning glory,jasmine and many other climbers are suitable to use.

This one was made using Ivy stems, you will need more than you think!

This message was edited Aug 31, 2007 1:27 AM

Thumbnail by terriculture

Remove all the leaves

Make a circle by twisting and folding the stems around, you can use wire if you need to secure the stems.

I added some Raffia fill it out and for decoration. 4 wires were wrapped around the collar and joined in the centre,
this provides a handle to hold while you arrange the flower's into the collar.

Hand tie with collar!

Thornton, IL

that is lovely!

Hubbard, OH

Now I found the right thread, thanks Terri. Gotta try one...

Thanks PrairieGirl! Thanks for popping in.
Sookey, so glad you found it!

A wreath I made.

Wreath using chrysanthemums alstomeria, roses and conifer

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Both are beautiful wreaths. I absolutely LOVE the variety of greens you have in the first wreath. The peach roses are gorgeous. I like the softness of the 2nd wreath. The conifer makes a delicate looking backdrop. Pretty pretty pretty! I want one for my front door!!!

I found that bunch of exotic flowers in a supermarket, but haven't seen any since. It was a Cape bouquet from South Africa. The roses are a beautiful colour I agree!

The most important part of making the wreath is putting the greenary in first, the inner layer is put in all

the same direction, then the outer layer goes in the opposite direction.

Taylorsville, KY

I'm new here, and totally Wow'd by some of the gorgeous arrangements. Do you guys have any hints for someone on how best to go about learning the art of flower arranging? Specific books, techniques, et? thanks in advance!

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Welcome HGF,

Depends on what level of arranging you want to do. When I first graduated from college, I decided I wanted a career in floristry...so I found the best way to learn was apprenticing at a flowershop. I stayed there a little over a year wrapping plants and making rose and hospital arrangements. I learned a hierarchy existed, i.e., newbies never had a chance to do wedding flowers or party flowers or anything extremely creative. So I quit and am just arranging for fun. If you want a career in it, then my recommendation is to learn at a flowershop. If you'd like to arrange for fun, there are lots of books out there. I'm not sure which books are best. Maybe Terri can help. I'm no expert, but I learned a few things at the shop I can help you with. Don't be shy to ask questions! This is a great thread for learning...being called "workshop".

I also made a flower topiary thread here, if you'd like to visit. I know I'm putting a plug in for myself. :P http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/759660/

This message was edited Sep 11, 2007 10:04 AM

Hello HGF, and welcome !

Jane Packer has some good books, I like her simple instructions and her designs.
Floral magazines are good to see what the latest trends are, I get 'The flower arranger' and 'wedding flowers' also
'Flora' International.

Stick around here and join in with our themes, even if you don't have the floral mechanics (floral foam) etc,
Vases and baskets are great . We just love to see any flower arrangements here! We have threads to show your vases and containers, you can suggest themes, some are in the suggestion box. We even have a cafe where you can just hang out!

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi everyone! I just put together a little "tutorial" using the last of my gerber daisies. I used a technique "gessiegail" had suggested at one point on this forum. I can't remember where she posted it. It involved taping the top of a square vase in a grid-like fashion to create 9 openings. You will need 9 gerber daisies or your choice of flowers, some foliage (not sure what it's called) like pittosporum, and a length of ribbon.

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Variegated greens cut into the length of a spoon. You can leave it longer or cut it shorter depending on the height of your vase.

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Place a cutting into each designated slot. Add more if you like it to look fuller. As you can see, they are not placed perfectly in position.

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Then place a gerbera daisy or your choice of flowers on top of the greens. Finish off by wrapping ribbon around the vase. You can tie a knot or bow in the front if you like a little more detail to it. I'm more of a plain Jane.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2007 10:24 PM

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

I finished it off by using a few blades of bear grass: one end of the grass in one slot and the tips in another slot. I had taken off the ribbon before I decided to add the grass and was too tired to put it back on. You get the picture though, right? If none of this makes sense, please let me know. I don't mind answering any questions.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

Hey Karma, thats a really good idea! I haven't seen anything like that before, and it would work with all kinds of flowers too. thanks very much, I just got to get 9 flowers now!!!
It's a fab table centre and could be used for lots of different occasions. It is absolutely beautiful, well done and thanks
so much. I hope people will try this one. Thats 2 arrngements I have agreed to do now!

Karma, I forgot to ask, is there any foam in the vase?

Hubbard, OH

Karma, thanks for the good tutorial; it helps a lot.
Is that just plain old scotch tape or floral tape?

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Terri, no foam in the vase. The tape is the only thing keeping the gerbers standing straight!

Sookey, yes, that's just plain tape. The tape I used wasn't completely translucent, but if you used clear tape, I bet it won't even show on the sides.

Stay tuned tomorrow for a very very very very easy arrangement I found in a Martha Stewart magazine using a household item I think everyone should have.

Thats just teasing, not telling us what it is, how can I go to sleep now???

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Terri, since you're trying my arrangement, I will try your collar...hopefully by the weekend.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Oh terri, we posted at the same time. i had a note from dg in bright read reminding me to read the new post. Never happened before. Terri, have some warm milk and go to bed!!!!! SNAP

Now you are trying to distract me! whats the household item?. I might not have one!

Hubbard, OH

what is SNAP?

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

I understood it to be right now as in snap of the fingers??? Unless it's an acronym for something...I have no clue.

Terri, you'll find out tomorrow. Hahahaha

Over here it means when you do or say something the same as someone else.
Karma and I posted at the same time and said practically the same thing.! On the other thread when we were wishing you a good day out tomorrow.

Oh my goodness, it happened again with the red writing! SNAP

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Oops...I used SNAP wrong. Good thing you asked Sookey. Americans....

Hubbard, OH

thanks so much and enjoying the "double talk" but gotta go now, night to all.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

We used to say JINX over here when we said the same thing at the same time! I haven't used it for quite some time now.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Finally I have a minute. The household item is......

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

...........a toothbrush holder!!! Same length zinnia and spiky flower in each hole and the 5 th zinnia in one of the holes but placement is more towards the middle. Martha Stewart used alstromerias, which gave a much fuller look, but I didn't have any around the house.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

That's a good idea! I think you have a good shape with the little bouquet, lovely Karma.
What is the small yellow flower called? All these good ideas of yours are great, something else to try, thankyou.

You could use decorative wire in the top of any shape container to hold flowers too.

I'm doing the 9 flower arrangement first, then I will have a go at this one. You are keeping me busy, thanks!

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your versions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.