Photo by Melody

Cooking: Cook Talk 8/26 thru.............?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 8, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tigpie
Kernville, CA

August 26, 2007
1:09 PM

Post #3901380

This thread is for talking about what is cooking for the day. It will run a few days, so it is easier to keep up and talk with each other.

Today I plan to make a sweetened pie crust, and fill it with peaches. The crust recipe is a treasure to me, because it turns out delicious every time. It had only taken me 20 years to find the recipe!
tigpie
Kernville, CA

August 26, 2007
1:11 PM

Post #3901385

Whats cooking with you today?
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #3903912

And are you sharing the recipe?

Sashagirl

Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2007
2:15 AM

Post #3903961

Made a French Apple Pie this afternoon.

Boy, was it good! Used Raeburn apples.
Because of a broken right shoulder, I can't rool pie crust at the moment, so fudged and bought a Marie Callendar crust.

I love the crumbly top on this one.

Sasha
tigpie
Kernville, CA

August 27, 2007
1:22 PM

Post #3904957

GG - Hi, Sure I'm glad to share the recipe. Let me get the correct name from Food Network, then I'll post it.

Sash - Hi, I din't know Maries sold just the crust. French Apple is one of my favorites. I've never used Braeburns; I'll have to try it.

Well my peach pie was kind of good. I don't know about the rest of the country, but I can't seem to get a good tasting peach here in California. I made pizzas yesterday using Mario Batali's dough recipe; it was easy and turned out well.
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2007
7:58 PM

Post #3906477

California grows great peaches. Do you get yours at Farmer's Market? The ones in grocery store are usually not local and not picked ripe.
tigpie
Kernville, CA

August 27, 2007
10:53 PM

Post #3907163

II've been to a couple Farmers Markets, but they pick up a lot of produce at the same warehouse that the grocery stores go. Then I have stopped at roadside stands; same thing. One time I did get good peaches, at a very small personally owned orchard that did very little commercail business. Every year i try out organic peaches at an organic store, and this year they tasted worse than the grocery store peaches. Right now I live in a kind of remote place, so can't do more trying.
tigpie
Kernville, CA

August 27, 2007
11:07 PM

Post #3907203

GG - Here is the source of the pie crust: http://www.foodnetwork.com and type in Butterscotch Banana Cream Pie. Type in Ruston Peach Crumb Pie for the peach filling. You'll see the box on the home page for the recipe search.
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2007
6:48 PM

Post #3944352

Well, it's hotter than heck in Michigan today, but I have been craving ham! I'm baking a ham and we're also having sweet corn, sweet dumpling squash and fried potatoes.

Not sure what dessert is going to be. Maybe just some cold melon.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America