Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poppies: How do you start poppy seed

Communities > Forums > Poppies
bookmark
Forum: PoppiesReplies: 8, Views: 207
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2007
4:53 PM

Post #3905731

A friend of mine gave me a brunch of poppies seed I have no idea where to plant when to plant Them I live in Illinois
should I just put them on top of soil or should I scratch the soil should I cover them with dirt it would be nice if you guys had a sticky with that kind of information I hope that I haven't asked to many question but you know us beginers always asking so many easy question
Dimmer(AKA) Kim
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2007
5:29 PM

Post #3905875

Dimmer, don't know about Illinois, but in most places all you need to do is scatter them on the ground. Fall planting works well in the Northwest. Some species are better adapted to a particular zone that others, and they all like to grow. Good luck.
Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2007
5:32 PM

Post #3905884

You have any idea where to plant North south east or west and do they need lots of sun sorry for all the questions
Kim
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2007
5:38 PM

Post #3905914

Ask all the questions you want. Thats what DG is for. The best location is where they get the most sun. Do you know what species they are ?
Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2007
5:42 PM

Post #3905929

No but I do know that they have red in them and there are in the sun but that is about all I now
Candy
Corinth, NY
(Zone 4b)

September 4, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #3935863

I had good luck wintersowing them a few years ago. There is a wintersowing forum here, look it up, and give it a try. You will be very surprised on how well it works.

Candy
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2007
4:31 PM

Post #3936164

Dimmer, it helps to know if they are annual or perennial. Maybe your friend can tell you that..
Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2007
12:10 AM

Post #3937664

Scot I don't think he can but I am pretty sure that they are perennial Scot is the one that gave me the seeds I plant some in the east side of the house and I also want to try some in the hosue and see what will happen thanks for all the help I will keep update when I plant some in the house
Kim
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2007
3:33 PM

Post #3939878

Ok, if you think they are perennial then most likely they are Oriental Poppy. Go check out the wintersowing forum. Wintersowing is the only way I've ever gotten Oriental Poppy seeds to germinate. I know there are folks that plant direct and have great luck, but I'm not one of them. When I wintersow poppy seeds it's the one thing I'm sure will germinate for me. :)

Diann

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America