Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Crazy For Coleus: History and Care: Beautiful!

Communities > Forums > Article: Crazy For Coleus: History and Care
bookmark
Forum: Article: Crazy For Coleus: History and CareReplies: 7, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2007
4:36 AM

Post #3912449

"But be forewarned, no one can own just one." LOL, spoken like a true coleus addict! I never knew the history of them--thanks for informing us. Love the pictures, too. Thanks for sharing those, too. Cute kitty!

My mother likes hers tall, and she likes for them to bloom. The other day I saw a hummingbird sipping from those tiny flowers! Mine were all eaten by the bunnies...grrrr. I must be more diligent with the repellents next year.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2007
7:45 PM

Post #3914621

Thanks for a wonderful article! I've got a couple of trailing coleus that I love... they taught me that there's more to coleus than "Rainbow Mix" for shade. Your article made me realize just how much variety exists in these plants, and how much history is behind them!
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

August 29, 2007
8:00 PM

Post #3914657

Critter---glad you enjoyed it!

KY---Thanks. I had planned on letting my coleus flower later in the season, I'll have to check for hummingbirds then, if they are still around. Also letting them grow tall provides great specimens for topiary training. I try everything with mine, cause like you said, I'm truly addicted! ( does admitting it help? :-))
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2007
9:56 PM

Post #3915072

LOL, have you been on the old "1200 Step Coleus Addiction Program" thread? I cracked up when I first saw that one! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/595121/
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

August 30, 2007
3:22 PM

Post #3917875

Ky
That thread was started by sugarweed, she's a real coleus expert! As a matter of fact there are lots of very knowledgable folks on the Coleus forum, you should check it out. I'm just a newbie addict :-))
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2007
8:11 PM

Post #3918821

Yep, me, too...and now I have to go out and rescue what's left of our coleus from the bunnies' feast... I guess they're desparate to find food, what with the drought here.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #6711981

Oh my goodness! I just got started reading the link posted above, and laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair. I only got a little ways through it, though. I think I only read up till about step 9.

zhinusmom
(Trisha) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6713049

Loved the article and I am with you Angie...I started reading "the program" and Dh is still trying to figure out what was so funny!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Crazy For Coleus: History and Care Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I Love it! georgiagarden3 4 Jun 19, 2009 3:30 PM
Great article! rcn48 8 Sep 16, 2007 6:55 PM
Coleus jazzzy704 0 Oct 23, 2007 2:00 PM
Thank you, Joyce! 85Tate 0 Jan 27, 2009 3:43 AM
Lovely article Sharran 2 Jun 20, 2009 3:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America