Can you help with my makeover? trashy to treasure?

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

okay here is part of my salvage job...he was going to throw this away...i said NO......

so here is a stab at revamping it....before:

Thumbnail by sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

here is a stab at terra cotta...but it doesn't look that way to me...it looks pumpkin or sumthin....i guess i need to get a life(grin)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

with flowers

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

with foliage

Tucson, AZ

nahhhh sticks...I say throw it away...this way! LOL I like your creativity and the Fall theme is lovely.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2007 10:37 AM

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i think tommorrow it shall be ivory?? any suggestions?

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

I like it the color you have it but since you are being adventurous, how bout black?

Tucson, AZ

what kind of paint did you use?

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I like it the way it is also, but do try ivory. You can always put it back to terra cotta.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

wineaux...not sure what the paint was called...but the color was 'terra cotta'...

2 vernes...i have done black b4 in a vase and it didn't turn out well at all.....in fact it is still in a closet somewhere waiting for trash or redo...(g)

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Oooh, I like the terra cotta, but ivory is nice, too.

Very nice, simple, yet offers a deeper view with the crane.

The pink and blue reminded me of
the time period in the eighties when everything with a surface had
eyelet cotton lace hot glued to it within an inch of it's life, then painted
bland pink, blue or green. Ugh! Remember all the teddy bears all over
the place with lace and ribbons and pearls? Cute, but glad we survived
that period.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

wuvie...it reminded me of the 80's southwestern stuff....but the shape and motif are sorta timeless so i know i can figure out something....will have a look at paints tommorrow....i think ivory can be quite boring....but something sorta sand color...? i think it is gonna be a try it and see kinda thing....will probaby cost more in paint that it would have been brand new.....but we need a mission don't we??

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey sticks, think of the terracota as a base coat. With the right wipe on stain you could bring out the embossed areas and tone down the color. Doesn't have to be an actual stain....anything you have in a darker color....just add enough water to take it down and try it. If it doesn't work...well....there is always more paint.
Personally, I love the vase. Keep on and you'll find just the right covering.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

lou...great minds think alike....i had thought about the 'stain' ....but to tell you the truth...i don't even know where the heck i am going to put this thing....much less what color to paint it to put it there....am i a goofy one or what??

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Heavens no. Part of the pleasure of life is changing things, moving them...and on, and on.
If I were to tell you all the things I have changed and moved in just the last 48 hours...you wouldn't believe it. One of my favorite people is Mary Englebrite. Very famous and wealthy....all because of her artistic bent and she moves something every single day.
After it is stained it will give you another idea because it looks so different. Who cares...it was free....it has stimulated your creative juices and......we are off to the races. Life is exciting if we don't always just have to have things a certain way. It is your life....your vase....your home.....just have fun.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i love her too...and her home magazine...she is brilliant:)

as i said to someone else...i am probably going to spend more on paint than
the vase would have cost me new....but hey....we need a mission....he he

london England, United Kingdom

It's a lovely shape, I would paint it black.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Boy! when you painted it all one color it really brought out the raised design! Very nice.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

isn't it amazing that it did? i am not sure of the next color...i am not liking this...but next round....i think i am going to add a stain to help raise that design more...

Kirkland, WA(Zone 7b)

Before you do anything else, figure out placement. If the pot is dark and placed somewhere dark, it will tend to disappear. I stained a large pot black & stick to light coloured foliage for contrast.

Also - what is suitable to plant in it, form & texture-wise?
I'd vote for medium to dark - I think the detail shows up better.
Again - placement might dictate location & colour.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

very true...i was trying to do it a generic color so i can put it anywhere i need it....thus the 'terra cotta' ugly color that it is....i think i am leaning towards a 'sand' or a grey-smokey

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

sticks, try whatever paint you have left something else before you make another purchase.
Maybe kind of brownish with lots of water.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

now that you say that i have some brown that i could kinda 'stain' it with........thanks for that suggestion....; so far i haven't bought anything yet...

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i think it is getting better...i am wanting more depth and not accomplishing it...i think i am going to have to rag it ...but will wait till tommorrow and sunlight

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Looking much better.
;)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

more stain left in the crevices of the embossing

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

It's looking really good.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

louc....you are so funny...i agree

thanks all

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Sticks.....intended that to mean would be nice if there were more stain in the crevices....would make the embossed part stand out more.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

louc...i so agree and i may tackle that tonight...i seem to do better at night with these projects...but i am so glad you suggested the watery brown as i had that in my little cabinet....and i won't have to buy anything else....i had to laugh when you said it cause that sounded like my brain talking :)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

That's dangerous when you start thinking like I do...lol

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

well i am stopping at this final photo.....it is getting scary....better than it was....not as
great as it could be...but neither am i ...(grin)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Very good. Have you priced vases this size? This is a very good grouping. Ya dun good.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

yup...priced and said....thats NUTS...so i am quite happy with my freebeeee....and thank you so much:)

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Looks great.
;)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

:)

Kirkland, WA(Zone 7b)

I think it has evolved well with what you have done. I agree with LouC - re stain in crevices.

Is that grass you planted in it, and if so, is it annual or perennial? The reason being that if it's perennial & you leave it in for too long, the roots will grow and start to fill the soil in the container's shape. To clarify: the shape & opening size of the container will dictate how difficult removal of plant material is. Been there, done that, and i'll never do an urn shape with perennials again!
In any case, I think you added to the impact with the depth of color you chose. Very nice!

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

It makes me think if tooled leather. Very nice!

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

Ah, that should be ... makes me think OF tooled leather... not enough coffee before posting I guess! ;-)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

katye...acutall it is a potted plant just stuck in it....as for doing anything i think i will quit while i am ahead...i have this thing of totally ruining stuff....then i get mad at myself etc etc....so what we see is what we get....maybe next year...thanks so much

brendr thanks so much:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images