Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Soil and Composting: Soil too rich??

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 5, Views: 258
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2001
8:21 PM

Post #10655

Hi there - looking for an answer. Planted the white echinacea and the leaves went black. The plant wasn't too healthy to start with, but wondered if my new amended soil was just a trifle too rich. I did ask the guy who brought the rotted manure and top soil (all mixed in) whether the manure was really aged and it certainly looked like it. Do you think the manure burnt the roots? No other shrub or plant seems to be affected - yet!! Thanks guys!
smiles2
Elyria, OH

August 12, 2001
9:53 PM

Post #109499

Could be, it could of been bugs too. I had an abundance of mealy bugs and my purple's leaves turned black. ?? Dont know if its close, but figured I'd jump in :-)
Byron
Lyndeborough, NH

August 13, 2001
12:04 AM

Post #109548

There is a fungal disease, phytophthora infestens aka late blight that turns plants black,,

louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2001
2:02 AM

Post #109582

Thanks so much - I guess it has to be it then because we have had such heavy rain lately - not that I'm complaining!! Shame though because I loved this plant :-)

lindap

September 24, 2001
5:48 PM

Post #133554

Would you like some 'white swan' echinacea seed? It's very very easy to grow from seed. I am an organic gardener & this is a disease resistant strain. I haven't havested the seed yet, but it's out on the plant if you want some. Just email me & I'll get a SASE from you.
JanetR
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 4a)

September 25, 2001
5:56 PM

Post #134226

Byorn, could you describe this disease a little more and what can be done about it? I've been fighting something similar, may be the same thing. I'm especially concerned about a big pot of oleander. I've pruned it back very heavily, but some of the remaining leaves still have a few black spots on them. I'm into the hardwood part of the plant, the softwood stems had black spots on them, so they had to go, flowers and all. :o(

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America