Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Vegetables at the Fair: What fun!

Communities > Forums > Article: Vegetables at the Fair
bookmark
Forum: Article: Vegetables at the FairReplies: 11, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2007
4:49 AM

Post #3924489

Perfect timing for this article--I'm headed to our county fair in the morning! Although I don't currently have the opportunity to grow fruits and veggies, I always love seeing all the wonderous exhibits. This is my first year on DG, so I'll have a newfound appreciation of all the farmers' and gardeners' hard work. I'm sure this article will be helpful for those who've always thought of entering--and it got me more excited about tomorrow at the fair!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2007
10:45 AM

Post #3924723

lol, neat article. I've never given ANY thought to competitive vegetable raising - all those ladies in their aprons standing behind their displays scared me off! (I did once show a heifer, and she and I got a white ribbon for showing up - my grandpa told me it didn't matter, she and I were the best lookers in the ring).

Funny thing about those FFA jackets - they just seem to shrink over time.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2007 6:46 AM
BDale60
Warren, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2007
11:37 AM

Post #3924770

Thanks Ky and Kathleen. (I'll have to think about getting one of those aprons if that will get me a competitive advantage next year!) Ky, have a great day at the fair.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2007
12:49 PM

Post #3924887

What a great and fun article Brian - I loved it !

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2007
1:21 PM

Post #3924967

Thank you so much Brian! It is a timely article that is informative and entertaining.

Our county fair pays a whole $3 for winning vegetables or preserves...BUT, you get a ribbon and your name in the paper!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2007
2:30 PM

Post #3925164

I loved your article! You gave me all the information and inspiration I could need to encourage me to march right on over to the website for the Great Frederick Fair as soon as I post this. Dea! Let's give Kim's tomatoes some competition this year! LOL.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2007
2:34 PM

Post #3925172

(does Kim have an apron???)
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2007
3:48 PM

Post #3925367

Never thought about fairs encouraging vegetable growing before. Thank you for the insight.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

September 1, 2007
7:29 PM

Post #3926013

What a marvelous article! Brian, you gave me a whole new appreciation for the vege building at county fairs, and for the work those entrants have gone through to present their hopefuls. A pure pleasure to read!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2007
1:07 AM

Post #3926954

Our county fair was terrific today! I saw the biggest watermelon I've ever seen in my life--106 pounds!! And a 115 pound pumpkin, lots of other huge, colorful squashes and gourds. Beautiful, perfect tomatoes of every size, shape and color, luscious looking jars of preserves...I could go on and on. Can you tell I enjoy the exhibits? LOL
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2007
10:03 AM

Post #3930836

Very enjoyable article, Brian! Our county fair always occurs to coincide with Halloween (maybe to make the ladies in aprons even more scary?). I haven't attended the fair for many years because it always seemed more about the death-defying tilt-a-whirl rides and junk food vendors and barkers for games of chance, but I am inspired by your article to go to the fair this October to see what my neighbors are growing.

I recall our fair also includes a competition for some house plants, like African Violets, and other potted plant judging. That might be fun to get into.

Jeremy
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2007
6:24 PM

Post #3932320

Ours has plants, too, but if you don't get there the first day or two, many are wilted and dried up. Shouldn't there be an attendant to keep water in the containers? It was obvious that there used to be water in them, but it evaporated.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Vegetables at the Fair Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article DEMinPA 1 Sep 6, 2012 6:22 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America