poisonuos plants for cows?

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

do you any of you know if it is certain things they cant eat? the reason i ask is that brittany wants to let her cow out to eat in my yard and i was just wondering if there is any plants that they arent suppose to eat plmk and thxs for helping

Waddy, KY

IF you have any form of Taxus or Yew trees or shrubs DO NOT GRAZE the yard! These shrubs are extremely toxic to cattle. When we trim my MIL's shrubs the cuttings go directly into garbage bags and is taken straight to the dump. I've heard of this stuff killing numerous cows in fields bordering subdivisions where people think they'll just dump their garbage over the fence.

Also, if you have wild cherry trees make sure that the cattle cannot get access to any wilted cherry leaves. These are also toxic to cattle.

Janet

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

Janet
thxs so much when you say shrubs do you mean ANY SHRUB that is in my yard? i knew about the cherr trees but thxs for reminding me thxs again

Waddy, KY

Talking only about taxus here. Don't know about shrubs in general. I will say that a cow is not adverse to eating tree leaves and shrubs if the leaves are tasty. I'd say that they'd sample anything that a deer would eat....

Janet

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

well i know they eat oak laves and bradferd pear leaves and they havent gotten sick from them thxs

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Lupine causes birth defects if the cow eats it early in pregnancy, I think it's the first 3 months.

Northern Piedmont, NC(Zone 7b)

moretz, here's a list of poisonous plants.
http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/db2www/plants.d2w/report1?ispecies=cattle

Jean

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

JJ
thxs so much, and everyone else that has helped me on this

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Clover, sweet clover, lambs quarters, sorghum and dock are poisonous to cattle??Why aren't mine dead?
Seriously, this list sure confuses me, an anyone clarify? Also, some of those listed as poisonous to humans go into my salads...

Waddy, KY

Sorghum can be deadly if they eat the leaves after a frost. It's in the same family as Johnson grass. As for the rest of the stuff, my cows won't touch dock and the only time I've seen clover do a cow in is if it's grazed wet, they eat to excess, bloat and die.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

That list is confusing. It lists Johnson grass as toxic to animals. Johnson grass is cut and baled for hay in some areas.

Waddy, KY

Johnson Grass is fine for animals until it frosts. Then there are toxoids formed from the freeze which will poison livestock. If you cut it and get it dried before frost you're fine. We go through our pastures that haven't been grazed a bit before a frost and cut the Johnson grass patches just to be sure.

Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images