Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Bird Identification: CLOSED: What am I ??

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 13, Views: 211
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Candy
Corinth, NY
(Zone 4b)

September 2, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #3927019

My hubby and I were out driving around and I saw these ducks on the river. Can anyone help me identify them? At first I thought they were looms, but when I was looking at them in the pictures I knew that was not the case. The picture is not the greatest, but it was the best of the batch.
Thank you !

Candy

Thumbnail by Candy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

September 2, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #3927062

My guess is Merganzer.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

September 2, 2007
2:12 AM

Post #3927127

Hi Candy, It does look like a Red- Breasted Merganser. I'm not very good w/ water fowl but someone who is will let us all know soon.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2007 10:14 PM
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 2, 2007
3:58 AM

Post #3927386

Female common mergansers, probably. (Other possibility is female red-breasted, but it seems like there is quite a bit of contrast between throat and breast, so I'd guess common.)
Candy
Corinth, NY
(Zone 4b)

September 2, 2007
10:10 AM

Post #3927695

Thank you all :) That is what my husband and son thought it was also, but from the pictures I looked at I was not convinced.

Thank you again
Candy

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2007
3:59 PM

Post #3928439

Young Goosanders (a.k.a. Common Merganser). Can tell they are young ones by the face pattern (just visible) with a white streak just above the base of the bill (adult females all dark there).

Resin
Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4a)

September 2, 2007
7:21 PM

Post #3929056

This is one, of three flocks, of young Common Mergansers, I watched most of yesterday afternoon while fishing on Kenai Lake, Alaska. At least the birds made the trip interesting, because the fish weren't biting.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen

Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4a)

September 2, 2007
7:26 PM

Post #3929072

This is a close up of two birds from the flock shown above.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen

Photographer
Moxee, WA
(Zone 4a)

September 3, 2007
2:56 PM

Post #3931484

My neighbor works in AK on the pipeline (2 wk on 2 wk off). Friday I dropped off an adult Common Merganser hen to his taxidermist. This neighbor has a collection of mounted ducks that is amazing. He, his brother and his cousin are all members of the Safari Club. They travel together all over the world to collect real specimens ... have them mounted and shipped home. They bought containers (rr cars) to store their collections of mounted animals/birds. I've only seen comparable collections at the Smithsonian Institute and a life sciences museum @ BYU. The taxidermist said "well this is a 1st". I almost laughed because you have to know he's doing quail, mallards, ring necked pheasants by the bushel.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

September 4, 2007
1:46 AM

Post #3934177

Hi Photographer, If you read the Important Rules for the Bird Watching forum you'll see we are not allowed to discuss anything that promotes the harming etc. of birds.

There is a Hunting & Fishing Forum here at Daves. Heres the link to that.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/huntfish/all/

Thank you very much. :-)
Photographer
Moxee, WA
(Zone 4a)

September 4, 2007
3:32 PM

Post #3935938

pelletory, I read the rules. I was trying to state the facts yet not promote harming birds or even hunting. I commented solely because of the coincidence of the mount being the identical sex and species of duck that was queried. I ran an errand for a neighbor who hunts quite more than the average person to drop off a specimen of his to be mounted. I keep a small domesticated flock of 5 ducks, 25 chickens as well as 8 guinea fowl. I would not harm birds myself. The only thing good about hunting I can think of is the license revenues go toward developing larger and better functioning habitat for larger and healthier flocks of birds or herds of animals. There are 3-4 significant waterfowl & wildlife refuges in our area that provide optimal opportunities to view upland game birds & waterfowl. Most non-hunting people do not take their opportunity to use them. It is perfectly legal to sit in the duck blinds for the purpose of viewing ONLY. I have learned they are "impacted" by hunters. In other words the hunters are lined up and many cannot get in due to someone else being in the line in front of them. Thats a great motive for bird lovers to go to the refuges during the hunting season. For every person sitting alone in a blind enjoying the wildlife and surroundings without a gun ... it likely means 3 fewer people shooting at the birds in the same blind. That is a nice way of showing your love for the animals. Hunters are significnatly outnumbered by non-hunters.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

September 4, 2007
4:26 PM

Post #3936147

Hi Photographer, thanks for your reply. I certainly was not trying to imply that you yourself were harming birds.

I know the post kind of fell into a grey area and thats why I did not reply right away.

One member was highly offended by the post.

I was not offended but thought maybe you had just mistakenly put it in the wrong forum.

As I said before, there are always going to be "grey areas" (concerning rules) no matter what the subject is.

BTW Photographer, your last sentence brought a BIG SMILE to my face. Thank You!

I think these grey areas are for administration to figure out.

Next time a member is highly offended by the subject of a post that falls into a "grey area" please just go to the Home Page, scroll down to the bottom and hit the "Contact Us" button. I would STRONGLY suggest that before doing that that you take the time to calm down and try to think of all sides of the argument before taking that step.

Thanks Everyone!

Thank you Photographer for you nice reply. Have a good day! Pelle :-)

Photographer
Moxee, WA
(Zone 4a)

September 5, 2007
8:25 PM

Post #3940963

pelletory, I suspected the post was kinda in a gray area. I figured that since I hadn't done anything violent and was reporting what someone else's hobby was that at I was not promoting anything like what we all know regretably happens to a % of game birds and animals. Until I met this neighbor ... I had little thought about the few Game Bird Refuges neighboring our community or the Wildlife Refuges either. My sight is not so tunnel visioned any more. I live 10 miles out of town and we have close to 1000 Gambles Quail on our land and probably 50 Ring Necked pheasants (20 acres with a 1/2 mile of stream on our south border). In the winter we have several hundred each of Mallards, Wigeons, Wood Ducks & Green Winged Teal stopping by as they travel south. We even get a few Canada Geese. I'm hoping to see a Snow Goose. 2 weeks ago I was in Glacier National Park and had a white Mountain Goat walk right past our car ... almost touching as he passed our SUV on the Going to the Sun Hwy. We took about 20 photos of the billy. He looked to be about 2 yrs old. I'd never seen 1 closer than 2 miles away before (using binoculars) in all my life.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

September 5, 2007
8:33 PM

Post #3940998

Oh my gosh, you live in a great area! I hope you'll be able to get some shots of some of the birds you talked about; we would love to see them.

Wouldn't mind seeing that white Mountain Goat either! :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America