Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
proudmamato4
Ellicott City, MD

September 2, 2007
3:34 PM

Post #3928382

My mother-in-law brought these seeds with her from Calabria, Italy, many many years ago. We've called it an Italian Pepper Plant, but I'm thinking it may actually be the Bolivian Rainbow Chile Pepper. I've been growing it from seeds from each year's previous plants. The plants are gorgeous, with small, hot peppers of purple, green, yellow, red and orange all at the same time. Several of my neighbors are now growing them as well.
Thanks in advance for your help!
PM24

Thumbnail by proudmamato4
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dangitgirl
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2007
3:46 PM

Post #3928409

Wow that is STUNNING!
mgarr
Hanover Twp., PA
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2007
6:48 PM

Post #3928984

Try Capsicum annuum. Some of them are very HOT. Also some of them can become small woody shrubs if they never experience cold weather. Try taking it inside for the winter. I had one of mine for 5 years.

Thumbnail by mgarr

proudmamato4
Ellicott City, MD

September 3, 2007
12:39 PM

Post #3931040

Thanks! I've compared my pepper shape to that of the Capsicum annuum and I think that mine are more pointy. Additionally, it appears that your leaves are variegated, and mine are solid green. Hopefully some other pepper experts chime in...

Thumbnail by proudmamato4

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2007
1:11 PM

Post #3931160

Capsicum annuum is simply the Latin generic designation for most peppers that you'll commonly find. Bell peppers are C. annuum, as are Jalapenos and Banana Peppers.

You are looking for a cultivar name, which may be impossible. Peppers cross pollinate like crazy, and if they have been planted near any other peppers, at any time, there will be subtle characteristic differences in these and the originals.

There are many peppers similar to the picture...a great number of the purplish pointy fruits that are held upright are popular in the Yugoslavia/Albania area. I have one from Serbia that looks similar, but the plants have dark purple stems. It's not much of a stretch to find them in Italy.

I would simply name them Nana's (or whatever she's called) Calabria Peppers. It's an heirloom if it's been passed down through a family, and you have naming rights. Without DNA testing, or a written history of exactly where and how they came to your family, you probably won't find the exact name they started with.

There are literally thousands of pepper cultivars, and I'd rather see them have a family name, as opposed to mis-labeling with a commercial name.
youngd24
Western Springs, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2007
5:59 PM

Post #3951568

Hi, I think it could be Garda Tricolore. (keep your fingers crossed)
http://www.kieft-pro-seeds.com/products/Miscellaneous/Garda+F1+Tricolore/

Thumbnail by youngd24

proudmamato4
Ellicott City, MD

September 11, 2007
3:32 PM

Post #3962601

Thank you all. I do believe it's of the Capsicum annuum family. And it may be what youngd24 says, it looks identical. My MIL told me the real story about them when I asked her for clarification. She was visiting Italy about 8 years ago, and a woman that worked for the local priest had them growing everywhere. My MIL thought they were just stunning and begged a few peppers for seeds from her. So they are very popular in the Calabria region of Italy, and now in her and my neighborhoods :-)
Omoeko
Dayton, OH

October 5, 2008
7:06 PM

Post #5636364

Please help me to identify this pepper plant. Picture attached.

Thumbnail by Omoeko

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America