Photo by Melody

Seed Germination: Collecting Cornflower Seeds?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 6, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2007
7:21 PM

Post #3929055

I haven't deadheaded my cornflowers (bachelor's buttons) because I wanted to collect the seed. However, unlike with other flowers I've seen, it's not easy for me to tell what element is the seed. I see the desicated petals and expected that the seed would be at the inner end of that but it's not. Does anyone have any pictures or descriptions of what I should be collecting?
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2007
2:37 AM

Post #3942370

I guess I'm going to answer my own question here. I tried once again to make a close inspection of a spent cornflower. After carefully tipping off all the dessicated petals, I saw again the very close cone formation that looked as if the seeds had somehow jumped off. It turns out that the seeds are in that cone. Unlike many other flowers I'm used to, the seeds do not disperse easily. They stay tight in that cone unless you really crush it. So I have started harvesting them tonight and will crush them. I expect some are fully developed seeds and some might be immature. The cornflowers, despite my watering them, seem to have given up the ghost at some point.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2007
3:45 AM

Post #4014341

I was just checking out my cornflowers this evening. I saw the same little cone or pod forming that you found, but although it had turned brown and dry on the outside, I think the seeds inside were not yet mature (pale and soft).
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2007
1:12 AM

Post #4130546

When the seeds are ripe the pod opens up and a;most lays flat out. If you are not quick, the birds will pick them out before you get to them.
The seeds look like a fat piece of rice but sort of shiny and beige with a tiny tassel of short bristles at the top.
Hope I am not too late. LOL Just found this thread.
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #4130612

Thanks, Windy. No, you're not too late. I still have one plant of the old cornflower around, the dead ones are stacked, and I have many seedling volunteers coming up.
Foofsmom
Kendall, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2014
5:15 PM

Post #9889798

I found that when it is ready it will just pop off the stem. I brought out my clippers to clip but it just about jumped off the stem at me. THANKS for this info. My first time collecting sees. To late for the blue ones but got the pink ones.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2014
7:21 PM

Post #9891320

Way to go! It's such fun growing things from seed you collected yourself. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America