Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: Will my new copper clad Revereware melt all over my stove?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 31, Views: 709
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kimberly1
Indianola, IA

September 3, 2007
3:28 PM

Post #3931641

Have I made a big mistake? I bought a smooth top Whirlpool stove earlier this year. Yesterday I found a set of copper clad Revereware for a great price. Now I see comments on the internet that the copper clad bottom will melt off and fuse to my glass cooktop. I also hear that they will warp and rock while cooking. I don't so much care about the rocking issue, because I'm not a big cook. I just don't want to destroy a new stove. Does anybody have any experience with these? Should I cut my losses and give away the new set, so I don't ruin the stove? The Whirlpool owner's manual info is very vague on the subject of cookware. It never occurred to me that you couldn't use any cookware on just any type stove. (Stupid, I know, but like I said, I'm not a cook, really!) Any experience or comments would be appreciated!
Kim
andidandi
Arlington, VA

September 9, 2007
1:08 AM

Post #3952788

I used to have a glass-top stove and we never paid any mind to the type of pots we used. What does happen is that when things boil over they cook right onto the stove top, rather than falling into a spill pan as they would on a standard range. People may be mistaking that buildup for melted metal.

Call or email the stove manufacturer. There are stories like this about all kinds of products that aren't true, but people repeat them anyway. Better still, call the manufacturer of the pots. They've probably heard this story before if it's circulating about their brand.

On a practical level, I doubt that your stove could achieve the degree of heat necessary to melt copper. Copper has a melting point of 1084.62 °C, 1984.32 °F. You'd surely have a fire on your hands if it did. And there would be no need for such a feature since you don't need to cook anything at that temperature.

The other thing is that true foodies use copper pots, and I can't imagine a major company would make a stove that can't handle them.

This message was edited Sep 8, 2007 10:56 PM

This message was edited Sep 8, 2007 10:58 PM
Kimberly1
Indianola, IA

September 13, 2007
11:37 PM

Post #3972162

Thank you for the response. I was getting all kinds of conflicting information, and wanted to know if maybe I should pack them up and take them back before I destroyed my new stove!
Georgart53
Clifton, TX

September 15, 2007
5:34 PM

Post #3978301

I can't for see Revere Ware melting ever.

My dad once melted an aluminum stove top coffee pot. He thought he had turned the heat off, but actually turned it up on high.. He and I were the only ones in the house and suddenly my supernose picked up a funny smell.. We both rushed into the kitchen at the same time. Me in my jammies and he with his face half shaven. The coffee pot (the kind with two parts. you boil the water in the bottom, grounds in the top half then when the water boils you pour it into the top and let it drip through the grounds. )
Anyway.. there was a pool of aluminum in the bottom of the burner pan. I kept it for years, but somehow it got away from me. .. It was very pretty and shiney.. lol
smokemaster
North Hills, CA

September 15, 2007
6:10 PM

Post #3978393

from whirlpool:

http://whirlpool.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/whirlpool.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=729&p_created=1159299061&p_sid=jw1-uNLi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjMmcF9wcm9kcz0yNjYmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PTEuMjY2JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9Y2VyYW1pYyB0b3A*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Ceramic Glass (on some models)

The surface cooking area will glow red when an element is on. It may cycle on and off to maintain the selected heat level.

It is normal for the surface of white or biscuit ceramic glass to appear to change color when surface cooking areas are hot. As the glass cools, it will return to its original color.

Wiping off the cooktop before and after each use will help keep it free from stains and provide the most even heating. On cooktops with white or biscuit ceramic glass, soils and stains may be more visible, and may require more cleaning and care. For more information, see the “General Cleaning” section in your Use & Care Guide.

Do not store jars or cans above the cooktop. Dropping a heavy or hard object onto the cooktop could crack the cooktop.
Do not leave a hot lid on the cooktop. As the cooktop cools, air can become trapped between the lid and the cooktop, and the ceramic glass could break when the lid is removed.
For foods containing sugar in any form, clean up all spills and soils as soon as possible. Allow the cooktop to cool down slightly. Then, while wearing oven mitts, remove the spills while the surface is still warm. If sugary spills are allowed to cool down, they can adhere to the cooktop and can cause pitting and permanent marks.
Do not slide cookware or bakeware across the cooktop. Aluminum or copper bottoms and rough finishes on cookware or bakeware could leave scratches or marks on the cooktop.
Do not cook popcorn in prepackaged aluminum containers on the cooktop. They could leave aluminum marks that cannot be removed completely.
Do not allow objects that could melt, such as plastic or aluminum foil, to touch any part of the entire cooktop.
Do not use the cooktop as a cutting board.
Use cookware about the same size as the surface cooking area. Cookware should not extend more than ˝" (1.3 cm) outside the area.
Use flat-bottomed cookware for best heat conduction and energy efficiency. Cookware with rounded, warped, ribbed or dented bottoms could cause uneven heating and poor cooking results.
Determine flatness by placing the straight edge of a ruler across the bottom of the cookware. While you rotate the ruler, no space or light should be visible between it and the cookware.
Cookware designed with slightly indented bottoms or small expansion channels can be used.
Make sure the bottoms of pots and pans are clean and dry before using them. Residue and water can leave deposits when heated.
Do not cook foods directly on the cooktop.
Make sure that you also clean the bottom of the pan as any residue will stain cooktop.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If using copper cookware, make sure that there is no tarnish on the bottom of the pan, otherwise it will stain the cooktop.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do not slide pans on the cooktop.
If food spatters, it is important to clean the entire cooktop and not just the burner where the spatter occurred. There may be food spatters on other burners that can't be seen but that will stain the burner once it is used and food residues will become baked on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From G.E.

Flat bottom pans are essential for good cooking performance. Most current brands sold today have flat bottoms. Much older, used cookware and/or thinner cookware will show signs of no longer being flat. Non-flat pans may crack the glass.

Use Medium or Heavy-Weight cookware.

Stainless Steel is highly recommended. A sandwich clad bottom is especially good because it combines the durability and atability or stainless steel with the heat conduction and distribution of aluminum or copper.

Heavy-Weight aluminum cookware is also recommended. It conducts heat faster than other metals and cooks evenly. Aluminum residue sometimes appears as scratches on the cooktop, but these can be removed if cleaned immediately.

Copper bottom pans are also good, but they can leave residues on the cooktop that appear as scratches. These can be removed if cleaned immediately, but do not let a copper bottom pan boil dry. An overheated copper pot will leave a residue that will permanently stain the cooktop.

Porcelain/enamel pans give good performance only if they have a thick, flat bottom. Avoid boiling these pans dry, as porcelain can melt and fuse to the surface.
Glass or ceramic cookware is not recommended. These pans may scratch the surface. Glass is a poor conductor of heat so cooking times will be longer and they may require constant attention during cooking.

Stoneware is not recommended. It may scratch the surface and will give poor performance.

Cast Iron and Coated Cast Iron cookware is also not recommended. It is slow to absorb heat and could scratch the cooktop. Once this type of cookware heats up, it holds an intense amount of heat which is transferred to the cooktop. This can cause the element to shut down as a response to the temperature limiters which indicate surface temperature is too high for cooktop components to handle.

*** SOURCE: http://www.GEAppliances.ca ***
andidandi
Arlington, VA

September 15, 2007
9:44 PM

Post #3978972

That makes sense. I hadn't thought about the possibility of the copper producing a chemical reaction, rather than just melting as the OP indicated she had heard. Still, it sounds like they are safe if used properly.
smokemaster
North Hills, CA

September 16, 2007
2:54 AM

Post #3980201

It might also be that different cookware makers use different grades of copper when they make their pans.
I'm sure there are things things they put with the copper to keep it from turning green,heat more evenly, etc.
Some additives in the copper might react differently to different heat levels.
Some of the cheeper ones might be more prone to leaving marks or whatever on the stovetop.
I guess I could never get a stove like that.I use mostly cast iron pans.
The stoves sensors would go crazy acording to the GE site.
Freecharette
winnipeg
Canada

March 15, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #4666773

I had a set of REVERE WARE copper colored base pots for about a year and I recently bought a new flat top stove . Today I have a cracked top stove because last night the one pot I was cooking Lipton instant soup with literally meted on to the surface of the stove as I was lifting the pot to move it the base started pouring out on it self and yes this silver metal fused to the surface of the glass as the metal cooled I heard some cracking sound and Walla one giant crack across the surface. These pots may pretend to be copper clad which is B.S. they are merely coated in copper and the remainder of the metal under the stainless steel is silver in appetence looks like aluminum there is no poor grade this or that its false advertising and fraud. I would normally not care if it was copper or aluminum. Suffice to say I will NEVER again buy this companies pots again, secondly will never buy a flat surface stove. If you need to see pictures of this pot and my ex stove top I will be happy to send them to you.

Thumbnail by Freecharette
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Freecharette
winnipeg
Canada

March 15, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #4666841

Here Is the next picture of me stove .

Thumbnail by Freecharette

andidandi
Arlington, VA

March 16, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #4668714

That's really dangerous. I'm surprised that they aren't printing the warning right there on the stove top given the idiotic warnings that are permanently placed on some items. Someone could walk away from a simmering pot and lose their home.
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2008
11:00 PM

Post #4692469

I have been using Revere Ware since 1972 on gas, electric and a glass top without incident. They have withstood heavy use and scrubbing almost daily and are in great condition except one pot has a loose lid knob. I wonder if your melted pot is a newer version, possibly made in China.

I bought a house in 1979 that had a white Corning glass top stove. I could not even boil a pot of water without it leaving a residue and looking dirty. There was no just wiping it off either. Everything required scrubbing with their recommended powder. It took longer to heat up and forever to cool down. I got rid of the thing as soon as I could.
ChrisCA
Colorado Springs, CO

July 31, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #5349223

On March 15, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Freecharette from Winnipeg, Canada wrote,
"I had a set of REVERE WARE copper colored base pots for about a year"

Based on the picture you posted, the pot that melted does not even look like Revereware.
The handle is wrong and the lip at the top of the pot is wrong.
Really looks like you had a cheap, foreign made knock-off.

--
Chris
mountain_hooger
Morganton, NC

August 23, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #5455134

I believe something that dangerous would be mentioned right away in the owner's manual for your stove. I have a glass cooktop stove also and I've never heard of that If I were you, I would enjoy my new stove and cookware. Or, see if there is an 800 # you can call Whirlpool to find out.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #5500996

That is so weird about the copper clad pots melting like that. I have a glass stop stove. and have aluminum, copper bottom and cast iron have used all and the stove has never done that before. although I was told not to use cast iron on the stove.

But my copper pans have never done this, The stove does shut off automatically all the time, or rather the burner does. I almost hope the same thing happens to my stove, cause I HATE IT. and would love a reason to buy another , will never have another glass top stove again. They don't heat well at all. takes all day practially to boil water. it's unreal.

will buy one of those gas stoves or one that has those round electrical burners next time for sure.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

September 5, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #5509838

That person turned up for that one post. I wondered about that.
cmerun
Orlando, FL

September 13, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #5547133

I have been using Revere Ware with copper bottoms on a glass top for many years and none have melted yet.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2008
5:45 PM

Post #5547157

just saw this thread and i agree, that was not revereware in the picture.
canyouhelp
Victoria
Canada

March 8, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6239040

Help!!!
While subletting, I inadvertently turned on the wrong element on a glass top range. It appears as if the cheap metal from the pad on the empty pot melted a couple of rings onto the stove top - that won't budge. Looks as if I'm not the first!
Will the surface scratch if I try to remove it with a sharp blade? Any other ideas?

I have until Mar 31 to figure this out (when the owners return)
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #6239176

gosh, I've not heard of that happening, I've turned the wrong burner on accidentally with pans on that burner, and nothing has happened. Did you leave it on there along time? At this point, I don't see you have any choice but to use a sharp flat object to help get the pan off , but you may break the glass too in the process of pulling that pot up off the burner. That's a good question, I'm not sure If I can help you or not.
canyouhelp
Victoria
Canada

March 9, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6240263

Thanks for the reply. I did get the pan off (the heat dissipating pad on the bottom of the pan detached from the pot - this is what stuck to the element and this I lifted while it was still hot and got it off). What remained was a couple of rings where the metal melted and now won't budge. I'll pick up a razor blade and see if I can get it to budge with that - but it is hardened metal...sigh. I'm beginning to think I may have to replace the entire top, and that will involve alot of $ and the landlord and their warranty etc. (and they are on vacation while I am subletting). The oven is spotless, and only 3 weeks left of my 6-month sublet.
I wonder what would happen if I heated the element again and tried scraping while it is hot?
MissEllieMae
saint john NB
Canada

December 9, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #7350430

There seems to be a common thought that a kitchen stove cannot generate enough heat to melt good quality cookware. I would have thought so too, but for an incident that happened today. Lagostina cookware 18/10 stainless steel. I melted the bottom off the pot and destroyed my ceramic stovetop in the process. I have yet to speak to an appliance repair person so I don't know if it was the fault of the pot or the stove but whichever it was, be warned that good quality pots CAN melt.
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #7350688

MissEllie please let us know how this resolves. I know oven thermostats can go crazy and break oven proof glass dishes. It sure sounds like one or the other manufacturers owes you.
Tigger4
Olympia, WA

March 8, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #7614822

mountain_hooger wrote:I believe something that dangerous would be mentioned right away in the owner's manual for your stove. I have a glass cooktop stove also and I've never heard of that If I were you, I would enjoy my new stove and cookware. Or, see if there is an 800 # you can call Whirlpool to find out.

The warranty & care information do mention that their pans can melt onto the stoves... Separate, etc... My mom has used them all her life, and aside from the handles falling off, they lasted forever, and never melted to anything, and she likes HI, canning (long-term boiling), etc... So, the Revere Ware copper pots are being made cheaper... Maybe they are all cheap knock-off's!, and if they aren't, remove the disclaimer from the web-site.
darkstar7
Tampa, FL

July 23, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #7990931

I agree with Chris. That is not Revere copper clad cookware. I still use my mom's revere copper clad pots that my mom used in the 60's and 70's and have never had a problem with them. I've used them on electric and gas stoves at high temps.
cantys
Benson, MN

September 14, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #8098577

I am a cook, the head Chef at a local restaurant actually. I have never heard of this melting of copper clad revere ware before, and have used copper clad revere ware, since i recieved it as a gift for my first wedding in 1989, on all types of stove tops including glass and have never had an issue. In my perfessional opinion if you are worried about your stove get rid of it and keep your revere ware it will last longer than any marriage or any stove.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2010
4:51 PM

Post #8117150

Anyone can put a paper cup of water on the stove top or into the center of a charcoal cooking Bar-B-Q red hot coals. As long as that paper cup holds water it will only burn down from the top to the water level.

I believe this thread started out with a metal pot making soup. The temperature of the pot would remain at about 212 degrees even though the stove top could get considerably hotter. This holds true as long as there is a liquid that is mostly water in any pot. This holds true as long as there is anything wet still in the pot. All bets are off when the pot cooks dry. That would hardly be the pots problem.

Something here is not adding up to any experience I have ever had or witnessed. Most of my professional cooking days were in Boy Scout Camps where the rule of thumb was if it can be screwed up anywhere here is the place you will see it again...just stand there a little longer. We never had a pot with any liquid in it melt down.
midnight57
Clarksville, TN

October 26, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8864989

Hello all, I was a plater at the Clinton Il. Revere Ware plant. I made the pans there for 12 years, for 6 years I put the copper on the bottom of all our pans. After looking at the pic of the melted pan, I can tell you 100% that it is NOT a Revere pan.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2011
11:25 AM

Post #8865908

I owned a set of Revere Ware pots for 44 years and never had a problem with them. The one in the photo is definitely NOT a Revere Ware pot!

When my daughter went off to college, she was accompanied by a new set of Revere Ware pots. When my son set up housekeeping, he too, was given a set of Revere Ware.

I've only ever had one stove top fire, and that was my fault - but the Revere Ware skillet did not melt, and served me well for many years after the event.

Last year I said goodbye to my RW pots by donating them to Goodwill, in the hopes they will continue giving good service to another family.
freedomtech
Winnsboro, TX

January 10, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #8961968

Found your post because my pots were warping and had to put in my two cents :)

We do have real Revere Ware and they ARE warping. Oddly, this is the second flat top stove we've had. This one we've had for about 6 months. The other was about 10 years ago, so the pots were younger, but my word, how the pots have warped.

The larger the pot, the worse the warp and the faster it sets in. There are scorch marks on the bottom. Yes, it was staining the stovetop but my husband is a miracle worker at scrubbing the surface with the appropriate cleaner. Lots of brute muscle and about 30 minutes of actual scrubbing.

Its a GE Profile stove.

I'm putting all my Revere Ware away until we move next year. That leaves me with cast iron and one Calphon pot that is unaffected. I'm going to keep using the cast iron carefully and heat it slowly. Otherwise, I see some garage sales in my near future.

We also had one generic non-stick skillet that warped so badly we finally had to throw it away. It was about 14-16" across.
notwitty
Lubec, ME

January 12, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #8964824

I LOVE my old Revere Ware pans. I bought a new set when I first got married in 1999, and ended up selling them in a yard sale, they were so horrible next to the old ones. To this day I am using my grandmother's set, made in maybe the 1940s or 1950s. Made PROPERLY, not like the new Revere Ware. I have 5 daughters, two are professional cooks. Both the professionals wanted "high class" expensive pans for their home use. When they got a couple of these, and used them for awhile, they both ended up sheepishly coming home and asking for some of my old Revere Ware to borrow until they could assemble their own set from yard sales and thrift shops. If anyone has any made in USA Revere ware they don't want, please don't throw them away! Find someone like me who would travel the country to assemble another set of these. And to midnight57, I salute you sir or madam! You're work is still appreciated and will continue to be for generations to come in my family. There is definitely a difference between the old and new Revere pots and pans, it wouldn't surprise me if a new Revere Ware pan melted, I believe the copper on the bottom to be ridiculously thin and of very low quality.
Chicama143
New Bedford, MA

March 5, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9031397

I have had my set of Revere Ware for 21 years, they still look fairly new. I have never had them warp or melt a stove top. I took looked at the pans in the picture and that is not a handle or bottom of a real Revere Ware pan.

Thumbnail by Chicama143

MEP1
Austin, TX

January 21, 2013
6:09 AM

Post #9392121

I looked at the images from Freecharette and have to agree that it was NOT a Revereware pot. I suspect it's some cheap, copper-colored or coated layer of ZINC which has a fairly low melting point. I agree also that the pot was either empty or boiled dry for that to have happened.

Real Revereware pots and pans are great, but they are prone to some warping. It's the nature of anything made of two different metals bonded together - they expand at different rates when heated. As a rule, if they aren't overheated or boiled dry the warping will be minimal.

I've also read a few times to avoid using certain types of cookware on a smooth-top stove, mainly cast iron, because it can scratch it. I've been buying vintage Revereware pieces on eBay (partly for its quality, partly because I love the way copper looks when it's polished). Once you've sanded and polished the bottom of one of these, it won't scratch glass unless something gritty gets under the pan, but of course that will happen with any cookware. In fact the smooth, polished surface should be ideal for a smooth-top stove.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America