Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
krowten
Greensburg, PA

September 5, 2007
1:10 PM

Post #3939343

I have 4 black currant dats from seed that have done well this summer and i hope to overwinter in my basement. It is cool but above freezing with little light. Any special tips from the experts here?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2007
2:09 PM

Post #3939599

I've never overwintered dats since they are so easy to grow from seed. If you are determined, I'd treat them like brugmansia that are over wintered. Don't cut them back and keep the soil a bit less than damp and near the light. Cutting them back will cause new growth to start.

About a month before your last frost, give them a shot of half strength liquid fertilizer to break the dormancy and start putting them in an area where they will get a few hours of morning sun each day. When you start to see new growth at the base, you can either cut last years stems back or see if new growth starts on the old stems.

X
krowten
Greensburg, PA

September 6, 2007
3:15 AM

Post #3942529

Xeramtheum, Thanks for the info. Unfortunately there is not enough light to keep a plant going. Do you know of anyway of getting them to go dormant?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2007
3:20 AM

Post #3942543

Low light and little water will cause it to go dormant.

X
krowten
Greensburg, PA

September 6, 2007
5:13 PM

Post #3944097

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2007
4:21 PM

Post #3978125

Krowten;
By my experience, my 'make-ship' green house, an unheated basement where the temp. is kept above 60 degrees F. With a little help of a circulating fan (not directed at your plants, but just so to help air circulation), and some inexpensive florescents, or workshop light. That serves the purpose. I overwinter hundreds of tropical plant this way, and some such as my tropical hibiscus goes on blooming during the winter months. I don't see why Dats. won't flourish under this condition. Maybe a little less optimum, but it beats the cold draft days of winter, with no foliages or blooms. :-)
Happy gardening.
krowten
Greensburg, PA

October 7, 2007
6:21 AM

Post #4056885

Lily, I have shop lights on the counter and table in the kitchen, plus shop lights mounted over 2 windows for hanging pots, etc, but cannot use the basement. Access is difficult, there is a low ceiling, so basically it is an archive for the winter. I might get down there once every 6 weeks or so. Don't get me wrong, it's a good idea but just doens't work in this circumstance. I had a nice brug that survived one winter there, so there is some hope that the dat's will survive. I think I'll take some cutting and keep upstairs. While the dats are easy to start from seed, by the time my black currant started blooming,it was the end of the summer. That's why I want to keep the plants over winter. If I can get that to work in my circumstances then I can get some more brugs or dats for my collection.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2007
1:18 PM

Post #4057228

You might try starting seeds after the Winter Solstice. That would give you a jump start on the season.

X

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America