Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mums and Asters: do animals damage mums?

Communities > Forums > Mums and Asters
bookmark
Forum: Mums and AstersReplies: 2, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
scubadoobie
Chicago, IL

September 5, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #3941059

Hi -

I've planted a few inexpensive (grocery-store) mums and marigolds in a patch next to a busy sidewalk. I noticed that a couple of the marigolds have been uprooted, and the mums have some stems broken off at the base (including one where the main stem was just snapped). I was wondering if the mum damage could also be from small critters, the alternative being the other kind of small critters (teenagers) stepping on them. However, a few of the plants are fine and so I'm not sure if it's just trampling. Anyone with a similar experience? I am really, really hoping we'll be able to landscape that ugly spot next spring without it being ruined...:) Thanks!
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2007
5:29 PM

Post #3966927

I don't know of any animal that would deliberately break off mums, or especially marigolds, so it must be the inferrior kind of animal, and I'm afraid that undisipline has gone too far to change them.They find distruction more accessible than construction.Mike
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2007
11:01 PM

Post #4013293

...unless some of our woodland critters made their way up there! They break up and dig up all our container gardens. My grocery store mum is just now recovered from the violence done to it this spring, and that's only because I finally gave up and brought it inside.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mums and Asters Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mum's the Word... SILLYLILY 18 Nov 23, 2009 6:47 PM
Aster Blue Ribbon Sue_WA 8 Nov 27, 2009 11:54 PM
Pinching back mums...... orange_knickers 11 Aug 17, 2007 5:16 AM
Cutting back fall Asters? rainy_jane 27 Aug 30, 2007 3:26 PM
How many others have lost their mum? leaflady 40 Jul 9, 2007 1:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America