Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: Spring bulbs growing in Fall???

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 12, Views: 133
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2007
11:28 PM

Post #3941627

I have some spring bulbs(daffs, crocus, tulips, grape hyacinths, hyacinths...) in a shade garden. I just noticed that there are some that are starting to sprout again. They had all completely died back and there was no foliage. Based on the location and and leaves, its not the crocus or hyacinths...it could be grape hyacinths or daffs. Either way, I thought they were spring bulbs...they bloomed this spring, so what are they doing now? The temps have been hot, then we had a few cooler days(mid to upper 80s) and that's when I noticed them. What's going on?

Thanks for any help!

Kristie
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2007
10:40 AM

Post #3942951

I've had that happen with my daffs. After it's been real hot and then cools down to the 80's, it fools the bulbs into sprouting again. Mine usually just grow a couple of inches and then quit. They will die back again when it gets good and cold and they'll be back to normal come spring. It's never had an adverse affect on mine.
grannymarsh
Marquette, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2007
12:22 PM

Post #3943157

Muscari/grape hyacinths send out leaves late in Summer, it is normal.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2007
1:38 PM

Post #3943379

Ahhh...that's good to hear...thanks guys...I've never had it happen before...of course this is my first year with daffs...I had grape hyacinths before, but they were old...I just planted new ones last fall. That must be it. Good to hear they'll be ok. Thanks a lot!

Kristie
Donna_M

(Zone 3a)

September 7, 2007
5:18 AM

Post #3946388

Hi Kristie

Yes, I too have muscari bulbs with a couple of inches of new growth again this Sept. (it also happened last yr) My leaves stayed somewhat green under the snow last winter & then the normal Spring growth on top of that made for a mass of foliage but still got lots of blooms. I had intended to thin the bulbs out this fall & still hope to find the time to do it so maybe the leaves won't be quite so dense & fall all over the lavender. Are your new bulbs the ones that are sprouting? Am wondering if this happens because of crowding?

Donna (zone 3a)
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2007
3:10 PM

Post #3947380

Yes, I think it is the new bulbs that are sprouting...however, they are definately not crowded. Everything is spaced out about 6-12 inches apart( I keep getting a few bulbs each year and adding them; the bed is pretty long). Right now it is in shade because it is under a tree. However, the ones that are sprouting are on the side that gets some evening sun. So far I haven't seen any on the East side of the bed that have sprouted. Other than that, I don't know what the difference would be...

Kristie
shebs45
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2007
8:40 PM

Post #3955463

Hi Kristie,
There is an article from the Aug.26 Chicago Tribune (Home & Garden section, page 6) that talks about shrubs at the Morton Arboretum and Chicago Botanic Gardens that are putting out spring blossoms on plants that already have fruit from last spring's blossoms. Quoting from the article:

"The heavy rains seem to have startled these shrubs into sudden activity after the long dry spell in May and June sent them into a winter-like slowdown. They've been fooled into thinking it's spring."

As Naturelover previously stated, that might be what's happening to your bulbs.
Sharon
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2007
3:37 PM

Post #3958397

Interesting...thanks for sharing that...who knew?! I've noticed that almost all of them have sprouted(its only one type of flower). Good to know they'll be ok for next spring though.

Kristie
pamsaplantin
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2007
4:34 AM

Post #3961403

Just noticed my grape hyacinths today. They are about 2 inches tall. The weather has not cooled down nor have we had much rain. Did the same last year & scared me. They didn't do exceptionally well this year but our spring weather was so messed up I'm surprised they bloomed at all. Anyway, I think it's normal.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2007
2:24 PM

Post #3962320

Good to hear this is normal...I thought I'd done something wrong!
flowerprincess
Ogden, UT

September 12, 2007
2:40 AM

Post #3965004

Me to , my crocus's are sprouting! Thought i was loosing it, keep looking at them thinking, no they wouldn't be coming up! lol

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2007
11:31 AM

Post #3969771

flowerprincess... You know there are flowering crocuses that open in the fall also. Is that what you have???? They are very pretty. I also have the grape hyacinth sprouting again but no flowers they are so cute. Happy in the yard Ronna
flowerprincess
Ogden, UT

September 13, 2007
4:01 PM

Post #3970591

I didn't know there were flowering crocus in the fall! I bet that's what they are. Cool

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America