Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Confessions of a Compulsive Weeder: Weeds-be- gone!

Communities > Forums > Article: Confessions of a Compulsive Weeder
bookmark
Forum: Article: Confessions of a Compulsive WeederReplies: 39, Views: 483
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 6, 2007
10:32 AM

Post #3942950

Great article, Lori!
This new to me that you share the same passion as I for tearing out weeds. I can't pick a pickle without grabbing a nearby weed.
I am guilty of rule # 5, I always think I am doing a good deed jerking a weed from somebodies bed. I will rethink this.
To think without Daves Garden & Iowa Round Up, I would never have met such a nice couple.
Hi to Handsome Man, too.
Have a Great Day!
Bernie
BDale60
Warren, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2007
12:22 PM

Post #3943155

Cute article. I'm a "mulcher" so I guess that makes me kind of a party pooper when it comes to weeding since I pre-empted much of the fun. Maybe I'll rethink that approach now that I know what I'm missing.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2007
12:57 PM

Post #3943244

I've sadly lost the battle here in west KY...I now call my weeds 'wildflowers' if anyone asks, and state that I've let that part of the garden go 'natural' for the wildlife...yeah, right...

Great article...I loved it...I may write the 'weed huggers' version someday...
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2007
1:59 PM

Post #3943450

Ah Lori, a woman after my own heart! Weeding has gotten me through some really tough times. It's amazing how much aggression, anger and stress you can take out on weeds and then smile at the resulting weed free flowerbed. Keep the articles coming, you are fun to read!

Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2007
2:02 PM

Post #3943476

arrrggghhh - those little runners... I have followed their trail endlessly. Great article !!
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

September 6, 2007
2:21 PM

Post #3943555

Great article! I was hoping that by the time I got done reading it I would be inspired to become one that loves weeding. As I look out the window over my flower gardens, I'm not feeling the urge to go weed though. :)

Sadly, I'm like Melody at this point. I've lost the battle and am looking forward to starting over again next year. :)
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2007
4:10 PM

Post #3943898

Laugh, I loved this article! :D Wish I was a compulsive weeder. I'm more of a compulsive labeler. Pretty soon I'll start labeling the weeds.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2007
5:37 PM

Post #3944185

ROFL I'm that way about the weeds in the gardens. But the ones at the edge of the woods are the wildflowers. I love posting their pics on the plant id thread and finding out from the wonderful, smart people here, exactly what they are. Some are quite interesting and beautiful, and if I could get them to grow only where I wanted them...

Absolutely loooove your writing style, Lori! Oh, and the knee pads? Get some, they allow you to weed where no woman has weeded before. LOL

This message was edited Sep 19, 2012 8:31 AM
hydrangea80
Council Bluffs, IA
(Zone 4b)

September 6, 2007
6:02 PM

Post #3944258

Another great article, Lori! I know I laughed more than once!

:)
lcosden
Pawling, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2007
6:19 PM

Post #3944284

Great article.. Have to admit, I'm a obsessive weeder too.. But we have new construction with newly germinating grass in a massive weed bed.. So I have an excuse when I'm talking to the neighbors and weeding at the same time.. LOL.. I don't have the urge to weed other's gardens though.. Maybe cuz I get my weeding fix at home.. LOL.. :)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2007
6:38 PM

Post #3944328

Great, I LOL'd all the way though. My DH is a compulsive weeder; he calls it his version of meditation. He's been known to pull out a towel (for his poor old knees) and start weeding anywhere he can. But BDale, we've never had any luck with mulch; I'm sure DH would be willing to learn actual meditation.

xxx, Carrie
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

September 6, 2007
6:57 PM

Post #3944369

What a pleasure to read with my first cup of coffee! Start the day with a laugh! My biggest problem with weeds is the id...I let the strongholds get completely set while waiting for a bloom, or something to identify the invader...must start remembering the rules...
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

September 6, 2007
11:44 PM

Post #3945267

Great article! I'm still grinning. Yeah, I'm a compulsive weeder, too.
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2007
12:54 AM

Post #3945546

I am a weeder too. However I have some qualms occasionally after reading the link below.

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/weeds/WeedsToC.html

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2007
2:24 AM

Post #3945910

I can relate to so much of your enjoyable article. I have had two back surgeries this last year, but I am already back to stooping for that "one more weed" even now. Also, I can't drive down a street that I don't see trees that need trimmed too!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2007
3:25 AM

Post #3946147

Lori, I love your wit! What a fun article!

I confess, most of my weeding is done in great spurts of industriousness... in between those times, my weeds (often called "volunteers" or "wildflowers" if I like them) tend to get away on me. Yesterday, however, DH hauled off 2 heaping wheelbarrow loads of weeds (mostly unwanted grasses). And I have a large wheelbarrow!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2007
8:47 PM

Post #3952013

Indy, loved that site! I didn't read carefully enough - are DANDELIONS a helpful weed?

x, Carrie
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2007
1:02 AM

Post #3952771

Dandelions have a fairly deep root and would be considered helpful in a soil building sense.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #3952850

I hear they taste good, and make good wine, too!
PAMSPACE
Temperanceville, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2007
3:41 PM

Post #3958409

Dear Lori,

I too am now a compulsive weeder. My DH was out of work for four months and I couldn't afford to plant anything new (gasp!!!!) so I had to resort to pulling weeds. The most difficult task I tackled was weeding in my moss roses. Now, thank heaven, those lovely flowers are weed free and my DH has a new job so I can start to spend money on seeds and plants, mulch and compost, etc. More importantly, however, is what this website means to me. After 4 years of living on the penisula of Virginia, this is the first time I have been able to communicate with lots of other gardeners, since I am a "come here" as opposed to being a "Teager" or a "born here" (and let me add, related to any other thirty people you see at Walmart). Thanks a whole bunch to Daves Garden and all you gardeners.
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2007
8:51 PM

Post #3959477

And here I've been hiding my weeding compulsion, thinking I was the only one! Thanks so much for assuring me I am not alone in my obsession.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 11, 2007
2:58 AM

Post #3961062

I went out to pick peppers today, ended up weeding 2 rows. Good grief they could freeze soon!
I made a list of some bad spots around the place for our helpers to tidy up. I want it to look nice this weekend for the Round Up.
Bernie
bbrogan1
Amma, WV
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2007
3:13 AM

Post #3961140

Count me in too as a compulsive weeder!! I have compost piles all over our little 4-acre homestead the result of my compulsion (and my wheelbarrow being somewhere else). Sometimes those little compost piles are not quite "cooked" and are in the middle of an area I would like to turn into a new flower bed. No problem, my DH brings me a few John Deere scoops of topsoil - we cover that pile right over and I plant with annuals. Come next springtime, that pile of composted weeds is ready for use in new flower beds.
azaleabud
Asheville, NC

September 11, 2007
3:34 AM

Post #3961231

My daughters (ages 7 and 10) are becoming compulsive weeders. I don't think I've been TOO deceptive about things -- maybe a BIT of that Tom Sawyer "hey, whitewashin is funnnnn" take on things, but nothing anyone would consider Soviet-style coercion...Well, at any rate, I'm not complaining about their zeal...Amazingly, at supper tonight they had a tug-of-war with the bowl of brussel sprouts. There are far more dangerous things to fight over than a plastic bowl full of over-steamed sprouts -- like a pointy trowel, for example.

This message was edited Sep 10, 2007 10:52 PM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2007
12:39 PM

Post #3977509

I wish my daughters would fight over something worthwhile, like brussel's sprouts!!!

xxx, Carrie
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2007
5:04 PM

Post #3978228

I looove brussel sprouts!

I yanked out seven 30-gal. bags of weeds yesterday! Not only is it fun pulling 'em, but the good feeling you get when you look back and see what a difference it made, is worth it. Our yard has suffered from neglect, as I'm in school full time. But I have a break between quarters, so "a-weeding-I-will-go"!
PAMSPACE
Temperanceville, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2007
4:53 PM

Post #3989414

Can you top this! One of my shelties started weeding with me at 8 months of age. She is great! Gets the root and all, I just have to put the soil back in the little holes. A full season has past and she is still out there weeding with me (except I don't eat the weeds).
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2007
5:45 PM

Post #3989629

LOL, my mini poodle used to do that! She wouldn't eat them, but she'd shake them furiously, as if to make sure they were dead!

Edited for spelling.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2007 3:51 PM
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2007
6:56 PM

Post #3989895

Laugh, I also have a mutt that's part goat. She doesn't weed, but more weed-eaters them.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2007
7:05 PM

Post #3989936

I better get me one of those dogs...
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2007
7:17 PM

Post #3989974

If you have more weeds than flowers it's a good thing...more flowers than weeds, it's sort of like having your spouse 'help' you.
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2007
8:09 PM

Post #3990139

Or your kids...

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 18, 2007
11:56 PM

Post #3990954

My Son doesn't work for dog bones, he charges $10/hour!!
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2007
3:54 PM

Post #4008228

I love the way you think! And the way you write. Grinning while I read :-D
I love to pull weeds too. It gives a good sense of achievement (as does whacking back plants - another favorite). The removal of dollar weed is one of my most favorite pastimes - a zen moment (or several hours of zen). DH and I have contests: who can pull out the longest runner without breaking it?
But he is addicted. I will call him from across the yard to come and see something, and 30 minutes later I go looking for him to find he is weeding his way to me.
It's like working a jigsaw puzzle: just one more weed before I quit.
Petal33
Kingston, ON
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6706185

I too love to weed but mostly after it has rained .Makes it so much easier that way .

Or even in the rain--actully that is my happiest time--everyone leaves me alone .

as far as weeding someone elses beds---I am guilty of that and will reconsider ,exspecially how I would feel if someone did it to me..now I know I shouldn't ..

another thought--some say there dogs help them to weed.
Well I have to keep my cat in doors when I weed --or he thinks I am fluffing up the soil for a new poop spot .
Not good---by the way I always wear gloves...too many cats around..

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #6706326

I had a miniature poodle that helped me weed--she'd see me yanking weeds and throwing them over the hill, so she'd grab a mouthful, vigorously yank, shake them, and spit them out. Now she rests eternally in a memory garden just for her.
Now the neighbor's dog has taken over her job, lol.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #6713420

A weeding pet sounds like a good idea, but then what would I do with all that time to just admire the garden? Ha ha!
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

August 31, 2009
11:07 AM

Post #7007594

If you get too many weeds, you can always call it a Nature reserve, that impresses people!
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #7010726

neilmuir1, That's funny!

I drove by a garden yesterday that I have been watching this summer since they planted it. They have a sign along the road: Vegetables For Sale. They also have one of the finest crops of lambsquarter around...oh well, it will make good organic matter!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #7010918

I hear lambsquarter is good eatin'! Maybe one of these days I'll try it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Confessions of a Compulsive Weeder Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Weeds-be-gone wolfwolf 0 Sep 10, 2007 4:46 PM
I thought I was the only one! pupilpropogtr 6 Sep 7, 2009 8:34 PM
Very Humorous! NEILMUIR1 31 Sep 4, 2009 2:31 PM
Yes arejay59 0 Aug 30, 2009 11:24 AM
Should have posted a warning... the1pony 0 Aug 31, 2009 1:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America