Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

PlantFiles How-to's: How to add unknown cultivars...?

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles How-to's
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles How-to'sReplies: 1, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Interlude
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2007
2:07 PM

Post #3947127

How should we add an image of a known plant, but do not know the cultivar, or even if it has a name. Should we take a guess on a listed cultivar that looks the same?...or post it as a "new plant"?
For example: I recently uploaded a picture of a frangipani and not knowing what cultivar, listed it as a "common white", even though it was pink. This was kicked back, properly, but looking at all the submitted pinks did not find a "common pink", so listed it as a "Treasure Isle" which seemed to closely match, but do not have the faintest idea if that is correct.
I guess my point is that many "native" or volunteer plants may not have a known cultivar...how do we add those?
Thanks,
John

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2007
2:25 PM

Post #3947197

You shouldn't put a pic of something in a Plant Files entry for a certain cultivar unless you are sure that's what you have. You also can't make a new entry for it unless you know what it is--what would you call it if you don't know what it is? Plant Files isn't a place to show off pretty pictures (although the pictures are pretty!), it's a reference database, so it's important that the information and pictures that are in each entry are accurate. So if you can't get a positive ID on what cultivar you have (which I think may be difficult with your plumeria), then enjoy your plant, enjoy your pictures of it, post them on the Plumeria forum, etc but don't put it in Plant Files under a cultivar when you're not sure that's it.

Native plants will usually not have a cultivar name, but if you know what species they are you can enter them under the straight species. Again though, you should always be sure what you have before you put it in. If in doubt, show off your pics in one of the forums instead.

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other PlantFiles How-to's Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Why don't you follow the rules of nomenclature? Terry 1 May 31, 2008 3:40 PM
    Taxonomy changes coming in the PDB Terry 41 Oct 20, 2007 2:03 AM
    How do I search for what is reported to grow well near me? ceallachg 12 Aug 29, 2008 11:27 PM
    Meet your PlantFiles Editors Terry 44 Aug 26, 2010 1:35 AM
    Royalty lilac bigcityal 7 Aug 8, 2007 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America