Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Strawbale Gardening: Root crops.

Communities > Forums > Strawbale Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Strawbale GardeningReplies: 9, Views: 113
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rayman6422
Tucson, AZ

September 7, 2007
6:22 PM

Post #3947974

Have any of you grown root crops in your bales?
Radish, beets, carrots?

This is my first try at Strawbale gardening.
For the fall/winter crop I'm thinking of planting lettuce. I am also thinking about planting broccoli, cauliflower and maybe some cilantro.
rayman6422
Tucson, AZ

September 10, 2007
6:40 AM

Post #3957401

Looks like from the responses I got this is a bad idea. No root crops.
maypop
Norwood, LA
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2007
5:51 PM

Post #3958864

I'd also like to get some ideas about these crops. Radishes are recommended in permaculture and for repelling insects like stink bug. Carrots might do OK since their roots need soft enough soil to grow. I see a lot of hay bales sitting around farmer's fields. Some of them look like last year's bales. But they're usually the large round bales, which cost $20 or more and are hard to move where you need them.
deanna8
Raeford, NC

September 10, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #3960103

The hay you use are bales. I use wheat straw I think some use hay.lowes has wheat straw at 4.11 a bale . I am trying to find a farmer for next year because I am planning to use 50 or more. This was my first year learned alot so next year plan to expand. My house is on 1.45 ac and I own the lot beside me 1.35 ac so have the room to expand a little.Wanting to try beekeeping so have been checking about that too.Now that I am older there are many things I want to do.Just turned 55. Deanna
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

September 11, 2007
1:05 AM

Post #3960512

Ive read that people grow potatoes in straw bales.
deanna8
Raeford, NC

September 11, 2007
2:53 AM

Post #3961039

Yes you can use some real loose mulched or if you use the bale(sq ones) I believe it is recommended to use a more seasoned one not the new ones.If you do a search in the forums there is a few references for that. Potatoes in straw bales or just bales will yield results.I have not tried to grow potatoes yet.We are on part 16 in strawbale gardening.You might want to read through the other parts, there is a wealth of info. Good Luck. Deanna
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

September 11, 2007
8:00 PM

Post #3963502

Hey, Rayman; I'm reading up here, too. Since you really didn't get an answer, I went looking. Found this:

"Root crops, such as carrots, parsnips and onions don't seem like good candidates for straw bale culture because the roots will be too crowded by the straw and would be hard to harvest. I also would not recommend corn or pole beans."

That from this site: http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/strawbales.htm

Sounds logical to me.
maypop
Norwood, LA
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2007
8:11 PM

Post #3963532

OK, then, how would they do in a lasagna garden--that is, a foot or 2 of overlapped newspapers with green and brown material layered on top? If the seeds or potato pieces were put into a pocket of compost/mulch, would they be able to grow without waiting for the pile to cook down? I realize that I'm talking about a different thread.
rayman6422
Tucson, AZ

September 11, 2007
8:12 PM

Post #3963534

Sounds like I need to stick with what I mentioned above. I think two of the bales are getting close because they are starting to cool down a little. They are down to 110 degrees.
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

September 12, 2007
2:22 PM

Post #3966300

Whoopee, Ray! Sounds like you could boil your veggies right in the bales.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Strawbale Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling KentNC 274 Oct 18, 2009 1:58 AM
Strawbale Gardening (part 7) Jnette 126 Mar 20, 2007 9:51 AM
Straw Bale Gardening LauraK 49 Apr 2, 2008 12:02 AM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 8) KentNC 114 Apr 2, 2007 5:32 PM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 9) KentNC 124 Apr 21, 2007 12:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America