-
AuthorContent
CBernard
Perris, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2007
9:01 PM

Post #3948442

Hi, everybody!! What is the difference between a Daffodil and a Narcissus? I ordered several Narcissus bulbs from a mail order catalog last year. However, the flowers weren't what I had envisioned when they bloomed.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks,

Chuck
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2007
10:39 PM

Post #3948732

They're both in the same genus, Narcissus. I'm not sure what exactly distinguishes ones that get the common name narcissus vs daffodil, but they are very similar to each other (and most of the entries in Plant Files appear to list both narcissus and daffodil as common names). But there are a lot of different cultivars which look somewhat different than each other, so if you ordered without seeing a picture of what you were ordering, and were expecting it to look like some other narcissus that you knew from before, chances are the one you were remembering was a different cultivar than the one you ordered. Do you know the cultivar name of the one you ordered? You can look it up in Plant Files and see what it was supposed to look like.
CBernard
Perris, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2007
3:42 AM

Post #3949868

Thanks, ecrane3,

I looked the two cultivars up on Plant Files. They were Narcissus (Tiandrus) 'Stint' and Narcissus 'Segovia'. Both are beautiful and I didn't mean to take away from their beauty. However, I had always thought that Narcissus and Daffodils were the same plant. Totally my mistake.

Thanks again,

Chuck
Donna_M

(Zone 3a)

September 8, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #3952472

Hi Chuck

My experience with narcissus & daffodils is somewhat limited but it seems to me that narcissus often have a smaller bloom with a small "bell" centre or, more frequently, a "ruffled" centre & often are quite fragrant. Daffodils tend to be larger & have a "bell" in the centre.

The limitations of availability in our zone & "squirrel intervention" cannot be blamed entirely for my lacklustre success with these bulbs! I now tend to rely more on forcing bulbs in the house during the relentlessly long winter months of Jan/Feb. Paper whites are my favourite for both productivity & perfume. I can count on a profusion of blooms three weeks from when the the bulb roots first start to appear!

As I said, am no expert, but hope this helps a bit.

Donna
shebs45
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2007
6:52 PM

Post #3955031

Okay everybody, I have another one to add: What's a jonquil? Another name for narcissus or daffodil? Or something else entirely?

Sharon
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2007
7:34 PM

Post #3955232

As unscientific as this is, here's how they were differentiated when I was growing up. Jonquil was the name used in the mid-west where my mom's family was from. Daffodil was the name used on he west coast where I was raised. Narcissus were the small-flowered old-fashioned original genus, now often called paper-whites, and they were fragrant. Jonquils/daffodils were large-flowered narcissus. I remember being told that all jonquils/daffodils were narcissus, but all narcissus were not daffodils.

Karen
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 3, 2007
11:45 PM

Post #4046051

Narcissus and Daffodil are the same plant, they are called different names in lots of places around the world, but the true name is Narcissus, Ecrane is right again, there are literally hundreds of different types, colours and size of these bulbs/plants, some are very small in stature, some are very tall, some are more often used for naturalising where others grow better in pots or indoors, if you wish to grow a certain type, you would be far better buying the bulbs from a reputable grower or in a labeled package from your garden center, but always remember, the picture on the packet on some occasions look brighter or different from the actual flower you get growing, soil type, light, and different conditions can also make such a difference to the height, colour etc too, but there should not be too much of a difference that you dont recognise them, at planting time which is now, you should set the bulbs to a depth of 3 times the size of the bulbs, so if your bulb is say 2 inch from root end to the growing tip, then the bulbs should be 6 inched deep in the soil, also add some well roted animal manure or compost with a general plant food added, use the amount stated on the package and mix this into the planting hole, they also dont like there feet too wet so if you have a really damp soil the bulbs will either rot or send up just greenery and no flowers, this is called growing blind, add some sharp horticultural sand or grit to the bottom of the planting hole to correct the wetness of the soil. hope all this helps you a bit. good luck. Weenel.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

October 3, 2007
11:51 PM

Post #4046064

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/555020/

Narcissus is the generic name. Daffodil is the common name.
This article may help. There are 13 classifications. The range from tiny miniatures to the huge King Alfreds, and there are several shapes.
kTalia
Littleton, CO
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2007
5:07 AM

Post #4050659

Hmm... when I go to that link, I get a thread on cabbage recipes???
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 5, 2007
5:30 AM

Post #4050682

Let's see if this link works:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/127/

Yep, that's the Narcissus (etc...) article

This message was edited Oct 5, 2007 1:32 AM
kTalia
Littleton, CO
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2007
5:43 AM

Post #4050708

Ah, much better. :)

Very interesting. I grew thinking (based on what my mother told me) that the single flower per stems were Daffodils and the multi-flowers per stem were Narcissus. Just goes to show you that parents will do there best, but sometimes they're still wrong. Oye-vay... and my 4 year old wants me to explain to him the difference between house flies and honey bees. (chuckle)
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 5, 2007
5:57 AM

Post #4050724

Tell him all flies have two wings, and anything with two wings is a fly (Diptera). It's true, and then you're off the hook. Until he asks if Arbor vitae is a cedar, or whatever the next question is.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

October 5, 2007
12:32 PM

Post #4051069

Sorry, don't know how I did that. My new article is on sauerkraut. Not much connection between cabbage and narcissus/daffodils.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America