Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cooking: Silicone Bakeware?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 34, Views: 209
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
andidandi
Arlington, VA

September 9, 2007
3:51 AM

Post #3953246

I need some new bakeware and have had my eye on those new silicone ones.
Does anyone have experience with them?

They look okay, and I like the idea that they don't burn, but how do they hold up when you have to remove the item from the oven? I picture them spilling all over when you pick them up. How do they hold form? If I have to put them into a regular pan anyway, it may not be worth the trouble and expense.

Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2007
4:24 PM

Post #3958568

I hope someone who uses them will post---I'm concerned about the material of it for cooking in as I've heard terrible things about the dangers of teflon (non-stick bakeware) but the concept if they are safe would make cooking so much easier!

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?fr=ybr_sbc&p=dangers%20of%20silicone%20bakeware

andidandi
Arlington, VA

September 10, 2007
4:35 PM

Post #3958609

Goodness. I hadn't heard anything about that.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #3958633

I'd only heard about it recently and *groan* I'd already bought my teflon bakeware. But I'd been wanting some silicone items and not sure it has the same potential dangers?
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

September 10, 2007
6:39 PM

Post #3958998

I've purchased some silicone muffin pans and they were temp rated high enough for anything I cook. I think if you look at each product individually it should be rated. Mine is a little awkward getting out of the oven (cheap brand), but not that bad - I sometimes put it on a cookie sheet. Much easier cleanup, though!

As for teflon, we got our first parrot 15 years ago and they warned us about teflon at the time, so most of mine went in the trash. It's hard to get other things without it though, like electric grills, waffle makers, irons, coffee makers - I heard recently that microwave popcorn bags have teflon in them!

I use cast iron, stainless, glass, and Corning mostly and don't cook enough to invest in expensive cookware.

andidandi
Arlington, VA

September 10, 2007
8:53 PM

Post #3959483

Cast iron is the best thing going. I love my good quality copper as well, but cast iron rivals it.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2007
7:37 PM

Post #3963422

I love my silicone bakeware. I've had it for over a year and never had any problems except with an angel food cake. You don't grease for angel food and it stuck terribly. I always spray when I use it.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

September 11, 2007
8:07 PM

Post #3963524

I agree, leaflady, I always spray, too.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2007
8:15 PM

Post #3963542

love silicome bakeware and I also spray, not too much but def. necessary, else stuff will stick and make a mess.

The cheaper brands are a little flimsy and harder to handle, but I don't know it justifies spending more $$$. Cheap are fine -- you just have to use both hands when placing in/taking our of oven.

Of all the silicone products though, my fave are the gloves. They really protect your hand against heat.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

September 11, 2007
8:54 PM

Post #3963696

I can agree with the gloves. I used to generate several burns doing a fish-fry when filtering the oil, but no more.

Thought I wanted some silicone mini-loaf pans, but priced them. After finding out that they should be sprayed, I dropped the idea and bought a couple dollars worth of what I thought were single use aluminum foil mini's. This will be the 4th year using them for "the fruitcake for people that hate fruitcake",
6 liquors, 8 fruits, 6-8 nuts, NO CITRON. Usually make a dozen nov-dec.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

September 12, 2007
3:36 PM

Post #3966600

Bubba_MoCity-
Recipe?
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

September 12, 2007
3:51 PM

Post #3966651

Not sure it belongs here, and I have posted it somewhere on DG, but here you go. I always make a double or triple recipe. I have added some other fruit and nut liqueurs, and additional nuts. Also -- place loaf pan(s) on a cookie sheet - you are bound to have overflow the first time - maybe every time - lol. Overflows make great "cook's samples".

This is a fruitcake for people who hate fruitcake. The ingredients blend naturally and beautifully.

6 oz. cream cheese, softened (naufetel may be substituted)
1 egg
1 tablespoon plus 1 cup sugar (substitute brown sugar)
2 tablespoons orange liqueur (add 1 tbsp cherry-flavored liqueur, 1 tbsp apple liqueur)
2 cups all purpose flour
11/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup apple juice (substitute 1/3 cup grapefruit juice, 1/6 cup pear liqueur and water or other fruit liqueur to volume)
1/4 cup melted butter
1 egg, beaten (beating is not required)
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh cranberries plus zest of one orange
(Optional: fresh cherries, dried apricots, other dried fruit: raspberries, raisins, strawberries, etc.)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (a mix of nuts works well, too, I add pecans, almonds, macademia, brazil, etc.)

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F; Spray 9x5x3 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray; lightly flour. Note: 3 mini-loaf pans = 1 large loaf pan

2. In small bowl beat cream cheese at medium speed until light and fluffy.

3. Add egg, 1 tablespoon sugar and liqueur; blend well and set aside.

4. In large bowl, mix together flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

5. Stir in apple juice, butter and egg. Fold in fruit and nuts.

6. Spoon one half of batter into prepared pan.
Beware: 1st time you will use too much for this step.

7. Spoon cream cheese mixture evenly over batter.

8. Top with remaining batter. See #6 warning - leave 1/2", don't fill pan!

9. Bake 65 to 75 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted near center comes out clean; cool 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack. Store in refrigerator tightly wrapped in plastic.

Yield 1 (16 slice) loaf.

Preparation time: 15 minutes. Ready to serve: 1 hour, 30 minutes.

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2007
4:01 PM

Post #3966682

sounds delish. I adore fruitcake but nobody, absolutely NOBODY else in my immediate and/or extended family likes it. So, I haven't had any in soooo long. I might just make me a bash for me, myself and I.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2007
4:05 PM

Post #3966697

Bubba, any substitutes for the: 2 tablespoons orange liqueur add 1 tbsp cherry-flavored liqueur, 1 tbsp apple liqueur? I know, probably not, but worth asking.

Vossner, I'm not a fan of it but my DH loves it!

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2007
4:08 PM

Post #3966702

Just beware of silicon cookie sheets if you plan to use a cookie press. I learned the hard way last Christmas that the cookies will not release from the cookie press onto a non-stick surface.

June

andidandi
Arlington, VA

September 12, 2007
4:49 PM

Post #3966813

It's starting to sound like they are more trouble than they are worth. I'll stick to metal. But I will get the oven mitts.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

September 12, 2007
5:27 PM

Post #3966916

You can eliminate all the liqueur and use more juice. Original recipe called for apple juice - I wanted more flavor, so added the Apple Corn and grapefruit juice. I have even used pineapple when I did not want to make a grocery run.

Each variation has its own set of plusses and minuses. More nuts dries out the batter, more liquid makes it too runny. Either will alter the baking time.

Most recipes are a starting point to me. Cooking is a lifelong adventure.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2007
6:23 PM

Post #3967097

Bubba, Thank-you!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

September 12, 2007
6:53 PM

Post #3967181

Tir_Na_Nog,
d-mail on its way, soon.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2007
6:54 PM

Post #3967183

:)
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2007
3:26 AM

Post #3969178

The silicone cookie sheet will be my next purchase. Maybe the gloves someday. I make nearly all drop cookies so I don't see a problem. I love my muffin and loaf pans. I only have the bundt cake pans but would maybe like a square one.
Georgart53
Clifton, TX

September 15, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #3978337

all I have are the cookie sheet liners.. In expensive.. can't afford silpat. I love them I use them also for rolling out pie crusts. There are other uses to them if you put your mind to it.

I like the glove idea.. Im a potter they might help unloading a warm kiln. Would like the bundt pan, but I really don't do a lot of bundt pans and I have an old Viking one.
yes I did know about the cookie press and the not sticking, I use parchment in that case.

I don't really like fruitcake either but that sounds good. Saved it to my pc. :)
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2007
5:58 PM

Post #3978366

Geogart, gloves would definitely work for getting stuff out of kiln

Two other features I like about the silicone bakeware is that they are now available in diff. colors, mine are all red.

Storage is easy because they are pliable, so you can sort of stick them in any nook/cranny. Can't do that w/ pie plates, etc.

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2007
6:35 PM

Post #3978458

Georgart53 -- Thanks for the info about parchment and cookie presses. That will save me a lot of time if I can make use of all my non-stick cookie sheets.

June
Georgart53
Clifton, TX

September 16, 2007
3:22 AM

Post #3980274

I would love to have the pink ones from Target. Voss but probably stick with red since my silicone cookie sheet liners are red.

June, The cookie press is tricky sometimes. There is a certain pressure and placement of the press on the cookie sheet to make it work. I made a bunch of mistakes when I first started using it to get it right, but I just scooped them up and put them back in the press.

Another thing to do with the cookie press is to make the cheese crackers .. only the first time I made them from the recipe that came with the cookie press, I was like salt clay.. so add it a little at a time so as not to get too much. I'll try and find the recipe if you want.

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2007
4:48 AM

Post #3980435

Georgart53 -- Yes, I would like the recipe.

Thanks,
June
Georgart53
Clifton, TX

September 23, 2007
5:22 PM

Post #4008487

June.. here is that recipe

1/2 c butter softened
1/2 c vegetable shortening
1 lb sharp cheddar (i used a mixture of sharp and mild)finely grated
2 1/2 c ap flour
1 tsp salt (the recipe calls for 1 T??)
1 T dry mustard
1/8 tsp cayenne

Cream butter and shortening, add cheese and mix well using medium speed. In another bowl mix the dry ingredients then add to the cheese mixture in three batches, mixing well after each addition.
Use ribbon disk on your cookie gun and make three inch ribbons on greased uncoated baking sheet.
Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 min. or just until edges are beginning to turn brown. Carefully remove from sheet and cool on wire racks.. sprinkle with paprika if desired.

I don't see why you couldn't add a tiny bit of onion powder or garlic powder or even use some parmesan cheese.

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2007
6:13 PM

Post #4008710

Sounds great for a potluck or for the holidays.

Thanks so much.
June
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2007
10:26 PM

Post #4013172

Georgart53

I've seen the new pink silicone items from Target---I really wanted the oven mitt---it was the most comfortable and flexible of ANY silicone oven mitt I've tried on---but being vain I didn't want to introduce Barbie pink to the kitchen since it wouldn't match anything. :)
Georgart53
Clifton, TX

September 24, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #4013397

lol well I am a survivor so I am partial to the pink stuff. however when I got my mixer I wasn't given the choice of getting the pink one.
I am going to get one of those mitts though.. I think they will work real good out in my studio.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

September 25, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #4013810

Well I am so glad beat it!!!! You beautify the earth with your sweet spirit and gardening! I happen to LOVE pink---but nothing else comes in pink for the kitchen so the Target stuff would look out of place in my kitchen.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2007
1:46 AM

Post #4013915

wrong!!!!! the JC Penney's COOK catalog has a complete line of pink stuff, I mean everything. I was reading something in the financials that said JC Penneys had built themselves a real market niche by selling color coordinated utensils, countertop appliances and other kitchenware. They even have a complete line for purple lovers and lilac lovers. It's really neat.

I get my catalog in the mail. I would guess somewhere on their website there is a way to get added to that mailing list.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

September 25, 2007
1:58 AM

Post #4013960

vossner is right. Lots of the stores sell colored cookware/kitchenware items. You can get the top-of-the-line mixers in all colors now. W-S has all kinds of colored stuff that they coordinate to the specific holidays. Pink would probably be Valentine's Day.) And I've noticed many of the home catalogs/sites offer a "starter kitchen" type of package where you can stock an entire kitchen in an unusual color in one purchase. It's really caught on in the last few years.
Georgart53
Clifton, TX

September 27, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #4024745

I may have to give my kids my red mixer some day and get the pink then LOL!!!!

Thanks Tir, I had wonderful support in my hubby.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2007
5:37 PM

Post #4030811

That sounds like a great idea!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America