Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Identification: CLOSED: Please help me.

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 13, Views: 123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
XxAcexX
Ridgewood, NY

September 9, 2007
3:37 PM

Post #3954374

So im sitting down in front of my friends house and all of a sudden the weirdest noise which sounded like a bird. sounded like the consecutive chirps then a pause. I live in new york. There was only one bird and the weirdest part is it was 12:00 at night. I know of no bird chirping that late... If anyone knows what this could have been please tell me.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

September 9, 2007
7:22 PM

Post #3955183

Hi XxAcexX, I'm bumping this up to let everyone get a better look.

Small chirping, loud chirping? I'm not sure anyone will be able to 100% id this.

But lets see what everyone has to say.

It could be just a situation that had the bird awake at that time.
tigerlily
Tiller, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2007
9:19 PM

Post #3955582

I once had the same thing, also at midnight! In my case it was a juvenile Brewers going after bugs under the dusk to dawn light. Silly bird would hit the house, 'cause once it was under the light it couldn't see. In order that I might get some sleep, I caught the bird (easily done, after it hit the house) and took it out into the darkness of the back of the house.

Did your incident take place in a lighted area? If so, it might well have been a bird *trying* to feed.
XxAcexX
Ridgewood, NY

September 10, 2007
1:22 AM

Post #3956383

Not really lighted. Also i have never seen a bird near me like that but you never really know...
tigerlily
Tiller, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2007
1:50 AM

Post #3956491

The juveniles are full of surprises. I hope you're able to figure it out.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2007
1:58 AM

Post #3956537

I walk the dog about this time at night, we walk by woods and I hear an occasional chirp here & there. Especially with juvies, and we are still getting new juvie cardinals at the feeders. I keep thinking with each one that should be it and here comes a dad with a new one. Had one show up yesterday & dad feeding it!!!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2007
8:59 PM

Post #3959506

I saw a bird flying around the street light behind our house the other night at about 9:30-10 pm. Hubby and I both tried to figure out what bird flies at night with no luck. it wasn't like he was flying over. He fly around and around that light for at least 15 minutes or so. Looked like he was having a good time! :-)

Hubby mentioned a Goshawk. I have never heard of them though. Could that be it?

Janet
kudrick
Fallston, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2007
9:03 PM

Post #3959525

could it be a bat? they make chirping noises, and only come out at night.
tigerlily
Tiller, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2007
9:27 PM

Post #3959619

Goshawk is a small hawk, an accipiter. Day hunter.

Owls hunt at night, as does the Nighthawk.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2007
9:33 PM

Post #3959641

Thanks for the info Tiger. I don't think it was an owl. Possibly a nighthawk, but from what we could see the bird looked almost white. Could have been the light it was flying around, shining on it. Sure looked like an aerial show.

My apologies to the original poster for unintentionally hi-jacking the thread.

Janet

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2007
11:56 PM

Post #3960160

[quote]Goshawk is a small hawk, an accipiter. Day hunter[/quote]
An Accipiter, yes, but a big one! As large as a Red-tailed Hawk.

Resin
tigerlily
Tiller, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2007
12:37 AM

Post #3960348

I stand corrected Resin, and I knew that. Several years ago I had a hawk in my sunporch, and it was ID'd from my photos as a Northern Goshawk. When son and I went to Cascade Raptor Center this summer, and I saw a Goshawk. I knew that's not what had come into my house. Yes! They are big birds!
jws1949
Milwaukee, WI

September 11, 2007
1:35 PM

Post #3962138

A lot of people confuse the sound a Katydid makes as that of a bird. They become quite vocal in September and "sing" at night--sometimes all night!
Jimbo
sadie_mae
Central, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 11, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #3962523

I haven't been out at that time of night in a couple of months, but earlier in the summer there was a Mockingbird that would sing all night long at the edge of our field. I looked on line and read that an unmated male will sing at night.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America