Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Our Gardens, Filled with Hope: I remember...

Communities > Forums > Article: Our Gardens, Filled with Hope
bookmark
Forum: Article: Our Gardens, Filled with HopeReplies: 23, Views: 196
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2007
6:27 AM

Post #3961532

This is timely. Thank you for posting it this day, Dave. Dea, I'm with you in the healing powers of gardening.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 11, 2007
11:19 AM

Post #3961711

I gardened that day, too... it was better than just sitting on the couch, stunned, watching replays. I yanked out a lot of weeds -- hard! And I planted, and I planned...

Dea, thanks for a beautifully written article.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2007
1:03 PM

Post #3962045

Thank you for the reminderof hope, Dea. Beautifully done.
senlarrs
Harrisburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2007
1:46 PM

Post #3962176

Thank you, very wonderful thoughts; Bless you and your family!

Larry
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #3962656

Yes Dea I remember,
At the time of the first bombing in the basement of the tower at the WTC we lived up there, and DH worked in the WFC. He worked night and day to help people move out of the bombed building. Who knew it was just shadow of what was to come? Soon after DHs company transfered him to the Dallas office. Shortly after I was pregnant with our 4th child.

...About five months into the pregnancy I lost Stephen Michael. The doctor was so booked up I had to wait a week to deliver my precious and lifeless little one from inside me. The Lord spoke to my heart after that, and sent me out into the garden. He showed me I could grow things and restored my hope very mightily. Even water tasted better. Not only that, in '97
I became pregnant again, (at 40!), with our Benjamin. So, I was once again restored by a stronger hope. What a wonderful end on what could have been a frayed knot! He is 8 now, and he said just last Sunday as we released some butterflies, "Our garden is the best place in the whole world!!"

When the WTC was bombed in 2001 I was watching the news that morning, and saw the second plane strike the tower. Such a ripping grief came over me, and such a helpless feeling. This time we were here in TX and it was even harder to watch from such a distance. We prayed for the families of the people who died there, that was all we could do. ...Then there was a garden to tend.

Not too long after that, there were a couple of suicides of people we knew, and it left me meditating why people would give up on life when there is so much hope. It was easier to take because I had gotten closely aquainted with Hope himself. We can never listen to anything else, or we ourselves could easily become hopeless. However, He will never leave us or forsake us.
We had several losses over the next couple years. First my borther died, then DHs brother, and shortly after that DHs father. There again the Lord and the garden was out there calling me to show me a bird or a butterfly, and to tend the growing and blooming plants that drew them to our little garden. I wasn't a subscriber then, but I used the plants database a lot and entered plants.
Dea, I truly understand what you mean by the garden being full of hope. Now I know where to go, rain or shine, good or bad. A place where I feel very needed and effective. Pulling me outside to see life, pulling me outside of myself to encourage others and revel in their successes.

Dave's has had almost everything to do with my more recent success, so I understand your gratitude to this place and the wonderful people here. I am always seeing such encouraging things. It will keep a person's 'hope tank' full to be involved here, (the more the better). Plenty to share, plenty to give. Everything sows a seed.

We sow hope...:-) When it all comes down.

Allow me to echo my gratitude by saying "thank you" to our DG family along with you. And a hearty, "Lord bless you and keep you!" to all who lost someone they loved this day 6 years ago.

Debnes
jackieshar
Texas/Okla central b
United States
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2007
5:49 PM

Post #3963065

Well spoken Deb...glad to have you in Texas
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2007
6:18 PM

Post #3963167

Thank you very much Jackie,
I am actually a native Texan 3 generations on both sides. It's DH who is from up there, (Ohio born, NYC raised), but we've made him honary bc of his moms side from Villiage Mills, lol. HIs parents eloped to RoundRock while at UTA ..Austin. They moved up east back in the 50s. We both feel this is our home. We have traveled and lived away some, for stretches of time, but always made it back to Texas somehow.

Debnes

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2007
7:37 PM

Post #3963421

Dea, Deb, both of you have blessed my heart many times...sometimes without knowing as I read and cried and cried and read...then my heart would search for God and I would hold His hand as we went into the garden. There we talk and He calms my soul. Every seed planted is belief in the future that it will germinate and grow. Thank both of you for putting into words the things that I would say if I knew how.

Praying for those who have lost their loved ones on and since 9/11 that they will each find a garden.
Arias
Richmond, VA

September 11, 2007
8:04 PM

Post #3963514

Dea,

Lovely words from a lovely person. May your garden always be a source of comfort and contentment.

Arias
susancva
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2007
9:00 PM

Post #3963710

Thanks for a well written thought filled letter. For all I us who were left that day, the best thing to say is "I remember".

It's hard to believe six years have passed by.

Susan
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

September 11, 2007
9:02 PM

Post #3963716

Dea, You already know how wonderful I feel this article is...thank you again. So very glad that Dave gave you this day. Let us all continue to garden, and let Hope shine ever stronger.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 11, 2007
9:35 PM

Post #3963849

From Downunder... although far away we felt the pain...a beautiful article...our thoughts...prayers and love... to each and everyone. May your gardens bring you peace and hope.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2007
10:26 PM

Post #3963967

Thanks to all of you for being part of such a wonderful place. Hard to say thanks enough to Dave, Trish and Terry...

Today was our first grandson's 1st Birthday. We were all so grateful he was born one year ago on an otherwise rather somber day for us :)

Dea
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

September 11, 2007
10:36 PM

Post #3963994

As a native New Yorker, this article was a bright spot amongst dismal memories. I spent most of the day in my garden.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2007
11:15 PM

Post #3964109

Hugs, Jada.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #3964391

I, too gardened on 9/11

My Mom had sold the family farm, and that was the final day we had the house. I helped her pack her final belongings as all of the horror was going on, and then went out into the yard that had belonged to our family for over 100 years, and started taking cuttings.

I have green reminders of that day. A huge Coral Honeysuckle that had belonged to my Great Aunt, and a dark purple clematis that my Grandmother had. I also dug up a Sweet Gum Sapling and a pink Hibiscus...they all lived, and are growing at my home.

They are an unbroken connection to my family, long departed...and I know without a doubt as to what day and year that I took the cuttings. I can't look at any of them without remembering my family, or 9/11.
Arias
Richmond, VA

September 12, 2007
1:07 AM

Post #3964550

I planted a yellow rose bush. I had been waiting all week to do so. The morning of the 11th seemed like the perfect time. Some say yellow flowers are for rememberence, and I wanted to remember that morning. The rose bush has grown now, and puts forth sweet smelling flowers. I often pray for those who lost loved ones that day. Their loved ones are in God's other garden . American is the home of the free and the brave. No one can ever take that away.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #3964650

God bless us everyone...Timothy.
vic

September 12, 2007
1:24 AM

Post #3964655

Very beautiful article Dea...God bless you and thank you so much!

Hope! It's such a powerful word.
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #3964684

So right Arias!
What a loving way to remember.
Dea, I am so glad you wrote this.. & glad Dave chose it for today. I think it stirred up a lot of wonderful people. We couldn't let it pass without remembering. You've all made my day a lot sweeter.

Debnes

roybird
Santa Fe, NM

September 12, 2007
2:26 AM

Post #3964943

Good article, Dea. What a sweet way to remember that terrible day.
bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2007
2:27 AM

Post #3964956

Thank you for sharing, Dea. It was a special tribute to the healing powers of gardening, as well as a remembrance of that awful day. Thanks also so many of you who have shared your love of nature - and thus the healing powers He sends us through the garden.
Mahnot
DFW area, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2007
3:05 AM

Post #3965100

Thank you, Dea, for your touching reminder, and thanks
to Dave and Trish for putting it up for this day.

"The warmth of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth -
One is closer to God's heart in a garden
Than any place else on earth."
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2007
3:09 PM

Post #3966489

A nice remembrance. I imagine that is one day where everyone remembers what they were doing when the tragedy was taking place, and how they were dealing with it.

Thanks, Dea.

Shoe

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Our Gardens, Filled with Hope Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gardens of hope, indeed CapeCodGardener 2 Sep 11, 2007 10:23 PM
Hope, the gift that keeps on giving..... gessiegail 3 Sep 12, 2007 1:14 AM
Gardens of Hope plantladylin 2 Sep 23, 2007 7:08 PM
Beautiful flowerprincess 1 Sep 17, 2007 1:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America