Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Strawbale Gardening: Types of Fertilizer

Communities > Forums > Strawbale Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Strawbale GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2007
6:03 PM

Post #3963110

I have been seasoning my bales with bat guano tea, one gallon per day poured over the top of the bale, then water with a soaker hose until the bale is completely wet. The bales are heating up nicely but I'm wondering if this is enough fertilizer?

Should I also sprinkle on some blood meal and let that all wash into the mix as well? Should I add some compost from my pile?

Thanks for your help.
Mary
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

September 14, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #3972907

If your bales are heating up with the guano, I'd just stay with that. Sounds like that's doing the trick just fine. When they start "cooling" back down, put your plants in.

Kent
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2007
12:28 PM

Post #3973906

Thanks Kent. One bale is 120 degrees, the other 110. The year-old bales I have did not heat up at all when I added either the blood meal or the guano, so I have decided not to use them for growing, they will be mulch.
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

September 14, 2007
3:01 PM

Post #3974440

Mary: the year old bales should do just fine. They have just been pre-prepped for you. Just keep them moist and plant in them when your "fresh" bales are ready.

Kent
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2007
4:14 PM

Post #3974707

Oh! That's good news. I think I'm starting to 'Get It'. :-)

What about ants? Should I care that the bales are infested? I put out some Amdro but two of the bales are sitting where LOTS of grapefruit fell and rotted over many years, before we bought the house, and whenever I water there, ants galore.
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

September 14, 2007
4:45 PM

Post #3974866

I've never had any problems with ants. About the only insects I get are some crickets and a few spiders. The damp bales deter most everything else.

Kent
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2007
5:28 AM

Post #3980481

Mary, what kind of ants are they? I had ants in my hoophouse where I keep my bales and I gave them a mixture of borax and powdered sugar. That works for the little ants. It didn't do much for the fire ants which I had in my hh. So, I had to use some ant spray. But, I don't think I would put it directly on the bales. Is that where the ants are?

You know, they will carry it back on their feet. I think you should read directions carefully.

Jeanette
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2007
1:24 PM

Post #3980997

Hi Jeanette, these are fire ants. I did not sprinkle directly on the bale. Around the outside. Thanks for your comments.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2007
4:58 AM

Post #3983836

Mary, The fireants dig holes, have you seen them? About as big around as a nickle. Do they do that in your bales? I doubt it. They may not carry the ant "bait" into your plants. The root system.

Jeanette

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Strawbale Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling KentNC 274 Oct 18, 2009 1:58 AM
Strawbale Gardening (part 7) Jnette 126 Mar 20, 2007 9:51 AM
Straw Bale Gardening LauraK 49 Apr 2, 2008 12:02 AM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 8) KentNC 114 Apr 2, 2007 5:32 PM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 9) KentNC 124 Apr 21, 2007 12:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America